News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Carp unlimited

Started by Woolly Bugger, May 26, 2018, 09:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Wow — no carp today but as I was leaving two young fly fishing gals came along to fish for bass and bream
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

turns out the gals that came down to the pond are carp hunters, one works at whrovis in GSO and I may have inadvertently spilled the beans while taking part of whorvis free beer at the fly tying deal...

They managed to catch two of 'em, maybe they're better fisherpersons than I or they have mo better flies... gonna track them down at the shop and find out....

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Ha, tracked her down at the Orvis store and found out that they didn't catch any carp at the pond!
me -There's a season?

Yallerhammer

Woolly be stawking the Orvis ladies. :D
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

itieuglyflies

Perhaps Woolly needs to call Al for advice with the ladies.

Dougfish

It's spelled Whorvis.  :laugh:
(The store, not the ladies.)
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

last year I noticed that there appeared to be one carp that was bigger than the rest. I estimate its length at 36". I got a hook in it last year but it unbuttoned. I haven't seen it this year until today.

It was cloudy and I got to the pond in the late morning, I spied a common feeding off of the bank and thought I had a good shot at it. The cast was a little off but the fish didn't spook and as I dragged the fly in front of its face it moved to inspect it while I held my breath. Then it turned quickly away but swam off leisurely and stopped to feed again. Another cast and another look but I was denied  . The only other fish I saw were cruising out off shore I did cast to them but the odds have always been long on them taking the fly.

I sat down on the bench overlooking the large flat at the shallow end to drink my coffee and check the markets.

I glance up and saw the largest carp mulling about in the shallow. I stripped off line and made a 30 foot cast that landed nicely beyond the carp that looked like a tarpon to me as it's scales glistened in the brightening sky. I did the drag and drop and the carp inspected the fly and then moved on. I cast again and it chased the fly but turned away at the last moment. Same with he third cast. On the fourth cast the fish had moved closer and into shallow water and as I stripped the fly it followed and I watched it eat! I was expecting the round orange lips of a common but this one is a grass carp! The water exploded as I set the hook but the fish didn't run like the commons, soon it was approaching the bank and I got the net ready. Then the fish turned on its motor and powered out into the middle of the pond. It made five or six runs and refused to be netted. The fish was tired and I realized that the only way I would be able to bet it was to wade into he mud of the pond and he. I would have to climb the bank to take a photo only to release the fish. So I stripped the line so the top Guide was tight to the fly and then jabbed the rod tip down and was able to release the fly that was stuck in the front of the upper jaw!  d:b

You cannot view this attachment.

Who knew there were grass carp in the pond? Not I! Carp number 16 for 2019!
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

I had an eat or two yesterday. Failed to see them in time to set the hook. Muddy water/bad sun angle/too far away any excuse will do.

Had some shots early today on the good ole chartreuse mop fly! (I've misplaced my voodoo mules) Then I got one to eat, a mid sized common that was furious and took off across the pond running out 60 or 70 feet of line almost to the backing. It left its motor engaged and tried to reach the far shore. Then it arced around to the left and then back to the right as it was looking to get to the shore and the submerged snags. It was one of the best fighters that I've caught at the pond. The fish put a heavy bend in the 6wt as I coaxed it back out into open water. Not giving up yet the fish ran all of the regained line as it rocketed out and headed to to snags to the left. Solid side pressure kept it away from that disaster, but the fish headed to the bank and under the overhanging brush. The bottom here is littered with branches and downed trees and I fought to keep the fish from getting under them. I had almost gotten it past all of the obstacles when it managed to get wrapped up on a branch. Try as I may I did not get the fish untangles and was getting ready to get into the pond with my pant legs furled up when as I  readying the net it escaped and left the fly embedded in the wood.

#17 of 2019 and the first fish of October. Without a polarizing filter on the phone's lens you can't see the fish in this photo.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Bright sunny skies revealed the carp patrolling around the pond. Visibility was great but that worked both ways and several carp fled as I approached the bank. I had one good shot early on but a bluegill carried off the fly before the carp could get it.

A couple of fish just spooked when they came across the fly or leader. Then I spied one feeding out about 60 feet and against the odds I made the cast which was the right length but the fly landed further off to the left than would have been ideal. I watched the fly disappear into the stained water as the carp moved on a steady path towards the fly. I watched the leader and as it moved I set the hook. The carp turned and ran 40 feet to the far side of the pond. There were only a few turns left on the reel before the backing. I gained some line and the fish ran again and again, then it arced into the bank where it sought out snags and submerged limbs. I applied as much pressure as I dared and after clearing the fish and line from limbs got the fish back out into open water and then to the bank where it could be netted. This was one hard fighting fish. Hard to believe this is the same rod that I was trout fishing with last week.

Number 18 for 2019!

me -There's a season?

Phil

Git them rubber lippers, Woolly!  /'/

Dougfish

Salute!
I'm thinking you'll see your backing in a week.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

When the sun peeked out this afternoon I went to the pond but the clouds came back and visibility was nil. I ended up getting a couple of good shots at a couple of carps tailing in the shallow end. I couldn't see the eat and missed one. I'll keep after them as long as the weather holds.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Well the warm weather has made the carp active and they are cruising about the pond, going to rig up and see if I can catch one!
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The cruisers of ignored my offering, one was feeding and I had a foot shot, it did not eat
me -There's a season?