Unlimited confederate (or any other) war memorial

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 07, 2015, 11:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Confederate Memorials stay or go?

Keep them.
18 (69.2%)
Good riddance
8 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Woolly Bugger

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2019/05/03/oak-bluffs-residents-want-plaque-honoring-confederate-soldiers-removed-civil-war-statue/INGnZn2DsD9Ey09SeH7neP/story.html

QuoteOAK BLUFFS — The Union soldier looks toward the nearby ferry terminal, hands resting on the barrel of his rifle, his trim frame draped in a military coat and cape. A proud Martha's Vineyarder defending his country at a time of desperate peril.
It's a 19th-century monument like thousands of others in town squares and city parks throughout the North. Except for this: Its iron-cast base contains a 1925 plaque that honors the Confederate enemy, a surprising tribute for a summer getaway long known for its vibrant black community.

Civil War statue plaque

"The chasm is closed," the plaque reads. "In memory of the restored Union, this tablet is dedicated by Union veterans of the Civil War and patriotic citizens of Martha's Vineyard in honor of the Confederate soldiers."

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Lee sold

Dallas has sold the Robert E. Lee statue for $1.4 million. The 1935 bronze sculpture, which was taken down by the city was sold in an online auction that saw the most interesting action in the final hours of the sale June 6.
For days, the high bid hovered around $550,000 until the last half hour, when aliases MustangJerry and LawDude competed until LawDude won for $1,435,000.
The sculpture is valued at $950,000. The City Council wanted at least $450,000 to cover the cost of removal.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Civil War plant guide reveals 3 plants with antibiotic properties

QuoteDuring part of the war, Confederate surgeons did not have reliable access to medicines because the Union Navy prevented the Confederacy from trading.

As infection rates rose among the wounded, the Confederate Surgeon General commissioned a guide to plant remedies.
Francis Porcher, a botanist and surgeon, compiled a book called Resources of the Southern Fields and Forests. It lists medicinal plants of the southern states, including plant remedies that Native Americans and slaves used.

QuoteThe researchers focused on three plant species that Porcher cited that grow on the Emory campus: the white oak, the tulip poplar, and a shrub called the devil's walking stick.
They gathered samples from campus specimens and tested extracts on multidrug-resistant bacteria.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/325422.php
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Visiting Our Past: Cold Mountain unearths truths about Civil War

Most WNC soldiers enlisted during the Civil War because of history and propaganda relating to an invasion. 

Check out this story on citizen-times.com: https://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/2019/06/16/visiting-our-past-cold-mountain-unearths-truths-civil-war/1433894001/
me -There's a season?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 17, 2019, 09:27:03 AMVisiting Our Past: Cold Mountain unearths truths about Civil War

Most WNC soldiers enlisted during the Civil War because of history and propaganda relating to an invasion. 

Check out this story on citizen-times.com: https://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/2019/06/16/visiting-our-past-cold-mountain-unearths-truths-civil-war/1433894001/

Thanks!  Interesting!

"Although politically controlling slavocrats engineered the war, most soldiers enlisted because of history and propaganda relating to an invasion."

But those same soldiers allegedly

"distrusted all authority save that of conspicuous merit and natural justice."

I wonder why they fell for the propaganda?
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Ornithologists consider changing 'confederate' name of bird

https://mustreadalaska.com/ornithologists-consider-changing-confederate-name-bird/

QuoteAt their annual conference that is being held in Anchorage this week, the American Ornithological Society considered whether to change the name of the McCown's Longspur. The bird was originally named for a U.S. Army officer who joined and fought for the Confederate Army.
The name change had been proposed for consideration to the Classification Committee; the motion did not carry during the proceedings, which had several other reclassification items on the agenda. The meeting runs through June 28.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Schools named after Robert E. Lee are renaming themselves after other famous Lees to avoid spending money on new signs

https://www.businessinsider.com/schools-names-after-confederate-leaders-rebrand-2019-6
me -There's a season?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 27, 2019, 21:40:50 PM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on June 27, 2019, 20:40:51 PM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 27, 2019, 20:15:06 PM11. I wonder why they fell for the propaganda?
who is they?

[/b]

Those southern Appalachian mountain boys mentioned in the link in your civil war thread.
In a 1997 interview with Donald Faulkner and William Kennedy, Foote stated that he would have fought for the Confederacy, and "what's more, I would fight for the Confederacy today if the circumstances were similar. There's a great deal of misunderstanding about the Confederacy, the Confederate flag, slavery, the whole thing. The political correctness of today is no way to look at the middle of the nineteenth century. The Confederates fought for some substantially good things. States' rights is not just a theoretical excuse for oppressing people. You have to understand that the raggedy Confederate soldier who owned no slaves and probably couldn't even read the Constitution, let alone understand it, when he was captured by Union soldiers and asked, 'what are you fighting for?' replied, 'I'm fighting because you're down here.' So I certainly would have fought to keep people from invading my native state."[/quote]

Discussion of Bossman's response would better fit in this thread, I think.  Western Piedmont and mountain folk were the center of the article, not flatlanders.  (See Bossman's earlier post for context)

If Kephart and Cash are correct:

"Our Southern Highlanders," that the mountaineers were a different breed from the poor white residents of the piedmont, with whom outsiders often lumped them.
"The western piedmont and the mountains," he continued, "were settled neither by Cavaliers nor by poor whites, but by a radically distinct and even antagonist people (who) had little or nothing to do with slavery, detested the state church, loathed tithes, and distrusted all authority save that of conspicuous merit and natural justice."

And if Rob Neufeld is accurate in his analysis:

"Western North Carolinians were largely upwardly mobile tradesmen and farmers."

"Although politically controlling slavocrats engineered the war, most soldiers enlisted because of history and propaganda relating to an invasion."

Then again, why would these "largely upwardly mobile tradesmen and farmers", "radically distinct" individuals whom "distrusted all authority" fall for some mid-19th century marketing scheme (propaganda)?

And why, if true, "desertion had become the rule, not the exception"? 

Did these "radically distinct" soldiers from the mountains and the rest of Foote's  "raggedy Confederate soldier(s) who owned no slaves and probably couldn't even read the Constitution, let alone understand it" suddenly realize they had been duped?

Interesting to contemplate and it has nothing to do with "political correctness of today". 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

Southerners were going to whoop the Yankees in a month, 1 southerner was worth 10 Yankees...

Then the walls came tumbling down and casualties took their toll...

I've not watched this before but am listening now...

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Country music group Confederate Railroad booted from state fair lineup — because of the name Confederate Railroad

https://www.theblaze.com/news/country-music-group-confederate-railroad-booted-from-state-fair-lineup--because-of-the-name-confederate-railroad

Geeez I guess the C word is the new N word!

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

N Carolina worker ordered Confederate items for July

wristbands orderd for 4th of July for county public pool

QuoteDeputy county manager Damon Sanders-Pratt says the employee who ordered the wristbands to mark the holiday mistakenly thought they were patriotic, and didn't understand what the "Stars and Bars" pattern symbolizes.
my bold...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/n-carolina-worker-ordered-confederate-items-for-july-4th/2019/07/09/87c7e200-a23b-11e9-a767-d7ab84aef3e9_story.html?utm_term=.0a1fa1fe0a43
me -There's a season?