News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

convenient excuse

Started by benben, September 10, 2011, 18:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benben reincarnated

My girlfriend has commissioned me to build a toy box for some friends of ours having a baby and due to lack of communication/me not listening I have to have this thing finished by October 1st.  I originally was working towards a mid-November date.  Needless to say this has been cutting into my fishing time quite a bit since I've been getting the evil eye for not working on it, luckily about halfway through the project I ran out of walnut.  Conveniently, my walnut guy lives in Mills River, which is closer to fishing than home.  I arranged it so that the lumber wouldn't be 'ready' for pickup until 11:00 today...so I went fishing this morning.

Was cooler than I expected, had to throw a fleece on, water temps were good so wet wading actually felt nice.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

first fish:

this shroom was growing sideways out of the bank...

smallest:

picked up the walnut

and got to work...

still not finished, wore the eff out and had to call it day...still needs a lid and sanding...

peter p

What, no brookies?   When are you going to start making bamboo flyrods?
Peter

benben reincarnated

Quote from: peter p on September 10, 2011, 20:29:12 PM
What, no brookies?   When are you going to start making bamboo flyrods?

thought about brookies, but I was too lazy, so bows it was.

been looking into it a bit, hasn't piqued my interest enough.

benben reincarnated

Finished for the most part except needing one more coat of tung oil...looks like I'll go fishing tomorrow then.

Stuart R.

Nice fishing trip and the box looks great! You could sell those things.
STU
CPR Catch, Photo, Release.

Transylwader

So you're a carpenter huh? until you turn water to beer, you're just Ben to me...
Sick shit man, carpentry and all!

purple squirrel

damned good looking box...fish were nice too 'c;

Grannyknot

Very nice Ben.
What sort of table saw do you use to cut that walnut??
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

FoulHook

Who knew you could work wood so good. I've got a pool table to refurbish but can't seem to find the motivation.
Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

benben reincarnated

Thanks for the comments guys...strangely I never received any "formal" woodworking training.  Kinda like fly fishing I started with some basic knowledge and taught myself.  Best I can figure I've been dabbling in it for close to 18 years, but probably started getting better at it within the past 6 years.  I still goof up but I've learned enough along the way to not let it show as much.  I also learned not to work from plans.  I build all my stuff from pictures I find of things that look like I want and very rough overall dimensions (as in it has to fit in this space when I'm done), planning out the piece as I go along. 

Grannyknot, I use a p.o.s. Ryobi contractor's saw.  I picked it up second-hand on craigslist 4 years ago for $45 when it was retailing new for around $225 at Home Depot.  It does well enough and I invested in a good blade so it despite the hardness of the walnut it zips through it pretty well.  It rips out to 20" so the capacity isn't that great on the saw but as long as I do my ripping before I glue up my panels I usually don't run into many problems.  I have a nice Delta cabinet saw my parent's bought for me when I was 15, but when I moved to Asheville 5 years ago I left it down there at my parent's since I don't have room for it here.

Nick, I find it hard to get motivated too lately when it comes to woodworking.  I think when fishing slows down I'll find more time to do it.

Here is some other stuff I've made recently...seems I didn't take pictures of anything after I put the drawer pulls on them, oh well.  First picture is two end tables I made to match the coffee table pictured in the center.  This is in my house now.  The legs are made from a walnut beam recovered from a local barn.  Last is a piece for my sister's house to match a cherry 'end-table' they already had in their bedroom.

Big J

Dang, That is some nice woodwork. Thinking about taking a welding class or wood works class but can't really decide.  You may of helped me answer my question haha

Grannyknot

Quote from: benben on September 13, 2011, 06:34:28 AM
Grannyknot, I use a p.o.s. Ryobi contractor's saw.  I picked it up second-hand on craigslist 4 years ago for $45 when it was retailing new for around $225 at Home Depot.  It does well enough and I invested in a good blade so it despite the hardness of the walnut it zips through it pretty well.  It rips out to 20" so the capacity isn't that great on the saw but as long as I do my ripping before I glue up my panels I usually don't run into many problems.  I have a nice Delta cabinet saw my parent's bought for me when I was 15, but when I moved to Asheville 5 years ago I left it down there at my parent's since I don't have room for it here.

I've got the same saw you have, but I haven't had the same luck as you have.  Can't seem to keep the fence paralell with the blade, and it burns the wood and leaves really bad blade marks (probably from where the fence isn't paralell).  I really struggle with it on stain grade hardwoods, but I was able to build some decent looking kitchen cabinets out of poplar.....

Inset doors are a bitch and I never plan on doing them again.
Sorry to get off the original topic.  Nice looking work with the walnut.  Its one of my favorite species.

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Grannyknot on September 13, 2011, 08:14:54 AM

I've got the same saw you have, but I haven't had the same luck as you have.  Can't seem to keep the fence paralell with the blade, and it burns the wood and leaves really bad blade marks (probably from where the fence isn't paralell).  I really struggle with it on stain grade hardwoods, but I was able to build some decent looking kitchen cabinets out of poplar.....

Inset doors are a bitch and I never plan on doing them again.
Sorry to get off the original topic.  Nice looking work with the walnut.  Its one of my favorite species.

I feel your pain although when I picked up the saw I pretty much disassembled and reassembled it to get it squared up.  The issue I had was the horrible blade arbor angle adjustment, it took me forever to get the thing square, and finally fixed it by removing the bump-stop.   The burning can be the fence alignment and also feed rate.  I found with this saw I stand parallel with the blade, on the left-end of the saw when facing the front of it, and feed my right to left, this has helped ensure a consistent feed rate.  Plus if the saw decides to sail a piece of wood I'm not in the path since I tossed the blade splitter (which too can cause burning) and kick-back stops.  The fence should be adjustable because I remember adjusting mine, using a good metal straight edge could help getting it aligned.  I've also heard of poor blades causing burning.  Lastly, poplar is easy to burn, not quite as bad as cherry, but still pretty easy, so it may not be anything you can completely remedy. 

Do you use it for cross-cutting any?

Those cabinets look great by the way.  I purposely avoid inset doors for that reason, so nice work on getting those bitches aligned. 

kylemc

Grannyknot

Quote from: benben on September 13, 2011, 09:42:21 AM

Do you use it for cross-cutting any?

No, I have a sliding mitre saw that I use for all my cross cuts....which is another gripe all-together.
I'll look into the arbor adjustment and the micro-adjustment on the fence.
Hopefully I can get a cabinet or hybrid saw sometime soon.
Right now, my 2 saws piss me off so bad, I have a hard time getting motivated to do anything.