Unlimited Salmon / Steelhead News Update...

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 25, 2011, 10:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Searching for the secrets of Scotland's vanishing 'king of fish'
New investigations are being launched in a bid to discover the fate of Scotland's iconic wild salmon, which are disappearing at a worrying rate.

>>>Scottish rivers are home to around 90 per cent of all wild Atlantic salmon in the UK.

But studies suggest only five out of every 100 that set off on their journey to the ocean ever come back.

If declines continue at the current rate it's estimated the species will be on the endangered list in less than ten years.

Tracking studies have already been set up on rivers on Scotland's east coast, but now the scheme is being extended to take in new sites on the west.

The Perth-based Atlantic Salmon Trust (AST) began monitoring around the Moray Firth last year to establish where the fish are going missing.

Results reveal that half of newly hatched salmon never even make it to the sea.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/environment/searching-for-the-secrets-of-scotlands-vanishing-king-of-fish-3180439
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

It's time for a different approach to Atlantic salmon restoration

>>>You can't put a monetary value on a species, or a price tag or timetable on efforts to prevent one from going extinct. Extinction is about much more than money, and its impacts are not fully understood until years after it occurs. Our environment is a complex series of natural interactions that work together to make our world what it is. For every action there is a reaction, and there is no way to fully understand what that will be until you lose a piece.

The nation's Atlantic salmon are hanging by a thread. Atlantic salmon are not just another fish, they are the King of Fish, the Presidential Fish. They are an important part of Maine's history, lore and outdoor heritage, and one of the things that makes Maine unique. And when it comes to Atlantic salmon, Maine is the last battleground in the United States. As goes Maine, so goes the Atlantic salmon. And as goes the Atlantic salmon, so goes Maine...

https://bangordailynews.com/2021/03/30/outdoors/its-time-for-a-different-approach-to-atlantic-salmon-restoration/
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Michael Toris

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 31, 2021, 09:04:42 AMIt's time for a different approach to Atlantic salmon restoration

>>>You can't put a monetary value on a species, or a price tag or timetable on efforts to prevent one from going extinct. Extinction is about much more than money, and its impacts are not fully understood until years after it occurs. Our environment is a complex series of natural interactions that work together to make our world what it is. For every action there is a reaction, and there is no way to fully understand what that will be until you lose a piece.

The nation's Atlantic salmon are hanging by a thread. Atlantic salmon are not just another fish, they are the King of Fish, the Presidential Fish. They are an important part of Maine's history, lore and outdoor heritage, and one of the things that makes Maine unique. And when it comes to Atlantic salmon, Maine is the last battleground in the United States. As goes Maine, so goes the Atlantic salmon. And as goes the Atlantic salmon, so goes Maine...

https://bangordailynews.com/2021/03/30/outdoors/its-time-for-a-different-approach-to-atlantic-salmon-restoration/

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Woolly Bugger

https://therevelator.org/kennebec-atlantic-salmon/

Our Last, Best Chance to Save Atlantic Salmon
Atlantic salmon are perilously close to extinction in the United States. Taking down a few dams could go a long way to aiding their recovery, experts say.

>>>Atlantic salmon have a challenging life history — and those that hail from U.S. waters have seen things get increasingly difficult in the past 300 years.

Dubbed the "king of fish," Atlantic salmon once numbered in the hundreds of thousands in the United States and ranged up and down most of New England's coastal rivers and ocean waters. But dams, pollution and overfishing have extirpated them from all the region's rivers except in Maine. Today only around 1,000 wild salmon, known as the Gulf of Maine distinct population segment, return each year from their swim to Greenland. Fewer will find adequate spawning habitat in their natal rivers to reproduce.

That's left Atlantic salmon in the United States critically endangered. Hatchery and stocking programs have kept them from disappearing entirely, but experts say recovering healthy, wild populations will require much more, including eliminating some of the obstacles (literally) standing in their way.

me -There's a season?

troutrus

Fish lifts and taxi cabs moving fish upriver takes the excitement out of a "wild fishery" for me.
Plus, Canada ain't much farther.

Woolly Bugger

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/endangered-trout-return-to-the-los-angeles-river

Endangered trout may soon return to the concrete Los Angeles River
The paved waterway is best known for movie car chases, but a new project aims to make it a haven for wildlife once again.

>>>One of the most prominent pilot projects in the billion-dollar effort is the Los Angeles River Fish Passage and Habitat Structures Design Project, which aims to allow fish—especially steelhead—to move freely through the river once again. 

Like salmon, steelhead are anadromous fish that live in the ocean and return to rivers and streams to spawn. As recently as the early 1900s, steelhead in the tens of thousands would make the run from the Pacific Ocean upstream through the Los Angeles River to its mountain headwaters. Anglers would congregate at spots like Steelhead Park, now near Dodgers Stadium, hoping to catch these iridescent sportfish that can grow up to three feet long.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Acoustic salmon trackers used to find out why population is shrinking

Conservationists looking into the drastic decline in the world's wild salmon population are using the River Nith in Dumfries & Galloway for their research.

Acoustic tracking devices have been installed along the river to detect the movement of tagged Salmon. It is hoped the data will give a better picture of why the population is shrinking.

Research shows in the 1980s, there were between eight and ten million salmon swimming in the Atlantic.

But that number has now plummeted to between two and three million with fears salmon could disappear from our seas and rivers altogether in just 20 or 30 years.

https://www.itv.com/news/border/2021-04-07/acoustic-salmon-trackers-used-to-find-out-why-population-is-shrinking
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

WHOOSH!

A new solution to help fish navigate man-made barriers in our rivers whisks fish over dams in seconds almost before the fish are aware of it.

>>>Essentially, Whooshh is a flexible tube with an entry point at the bottom of the barrier. Here, they photograph the fish in a wet airlock component at high speed, and machine learning measures each fish and directs it to a best-fit tube, the transport tube itself, and an ejection zone where the fish might be braked to ensure a safe re-entry to the river above the dam. "It's a voluntary process for the fish. We create an attraction flow or current where we want the fish to enter the system. We sit it in an area where the fish will naturally aggregate or rest in front of the barrier. They will find the entrance by themselves," Byron explains.

Once inside, the fish enter a dewatered and misted wet airlock where they are photographed at high resolution at high speed 18 times from three angles, using both infrared and visible light. In less than half a second, the technology identifies the fish by species, and its girth measured. It is important to dewater the photography area to enable its use in even turbid waters. One unexpected result of the library of high-resolution images has been that fish biologists have been able to quantify sea lion and seal attacks on the beleaguered fish, helping to inform fisheries policies on predator control. A sorting algorithm then either sends the fish forward to an appropriate diameter tube for its journey up and over the barrier or rejects it as an undesirable alien species and sends it back to the river, denying it passage. The company must train the algorithm on hundreds of images of fish from each river over a period of months. This is important so that fisheries authorities can stop invasive species continuing upriver and competing with the valued native species like Atlantic salmon or Chinook for food and spawning sites. Fisheries managers will decide whether to remove the invasive species altogether, or return them to the river. The system can handle 60 fish a minute, more than enough for a busy migration.

https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2021/04/fairground-for-fish-a-solution-to-help-navigate-man-made-barriers/

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The salmon population in Oregon has been on the decline for years, thanks in part to poor environmental stewardship. A new short documentary from Portland-based advocacy organization Pacific Rivers spotlights one effort to reverse that trend in Northeast Oregon.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Maine awarded $7 million to restore stream crossings on private roads

A grant from the U.S. Department of Agriculture will help restore some of Maine's highest-value aquatic networks from fragmentation and degradation.

>>>A $7 million grant from the U.S. Department of Agriculture will help restore some of Maine's highest-value aquatic networks from fragmentation and degradation by improving stream crossings on private roads, The Nature Conservancy said Monday.

Project partners led by the conservancy in Maine will use an innovative design and installation approach to improve habitat and aquatic organism passage and reduce impacts from increasingly volatile storm flows, it said. With over 11 million acres of Maine forest in private hands, the project is designed to influence stream-friendly management on thousands of miles of aquatic habitat.

https://www.pressherald.com/2021/05/03/maine-awarded-7-million-to-restore-stream-crossings-on-private-roads/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

16.8 million young hatchery salmon get truck rides to San Francisco Bay

>>>The CDFW said it will take approximately 146 individual truckloads traveling more than 30,000 miles between mid-April and early June to deliver all the fish.

John McManus, president of the Golden State Salmon Association (GSSA), said the decision by the CDFW follows requests from the GSSA urging the state to take action.

>>>"Although it won't help this year's restricted season, the trucking should produce a large number of 20" jacks by next year and allow a fishing season in 2023," McManus said. "This will be especially valuable considering water temperature forecasts now show that water temperatures will likely be lethal for spawning salmon by fall unless the state acts to require added temperature protections."

McManus said the need to truck hatchery fish in part stems from the "failure of state water managers to better balance water allocation to protect salmon and the environment."

"Salmon fishermen and women are grateful for the trucking of hatchery salmon, but we mourn the loss of the state's wild salmon runs caused by the failure of government to better manage finite freshwater sources in the Central Valley," said McManus. "We hope the state will act to avoid the massive fish kills we saw in 2014 and 2015."

https://www.recordnet.com/story/sports/2021/05/04/california-drought-16-8-million-young-hatchery-salmon-get-truck-rides-san-francisco-bay/4941501001/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

THE MACALLAN DOES ITS BIT TO SUPPORT AT-RISK ATLANTIC SALMON

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

A project to preserve at-risk Atlantic salmon in the River Spey is underway as the Atlantic Salmon Trust embarks on the Moray Firth Tracking project, supported by a charitable partnership with The Macallan.

The River Spey is home to the largest Atlantic salmon population in Scotland, a key-stone species which is in sharp decline due to habitat destruction and overfishing.

https://www.scottishfield.co.uk/food-and-drink-2/whisky/the-macallan-does-its-bit-to-support-at-risk-atlantic-salmon/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

>>>Gary Griffin chokes up as he describes seeing water flowing freely for the first time under a bridge replacing part of the Petitcodiac River causeway.

For decades, Griffin publicly pushed for restoration of tidal flow on the river. Now he smiles as he looks out at the water from a park in Riverview.

"That was the greatest feeling in the world," Griffin said of watching the water. "You don't know how good that feels after 50 years of trying to fix it."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/gary-griffin-petitcodiac-river-bridge-1.6020340
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Farmed Salmon Could Be Spreading a Deadly Disease to Their Wild Counterparts

>>>If you're the type who only buys wild fish to eat and would never touch the farmed stuff, just know the two may not be as separate as you think. New research published in Science Advances on Wednesday found that an infectious virus known as Piscine orthoreovirus-1, or PRV-1, may have spread from Atlantic salmon aquafarms to wild Pacific salmon.

PRV-1 is a virus common in salmon that has been shown to cause Atlantic salmon populations to have heart and skeletal muscle inflammation. It's also been associated with a different disease increasingly found in Pacific salmon—specifically, wild Chinook salmon, whose populations are in decline.

In Chinook salmon, PRV-1 has been linked to a condition known as jaundice/anemia, which causes the fishes' red blood cells to burst and their abdomens and under-eye area to turn yellow. More importantly, it can lead to deadly liver and kidney damage in the wild salmon.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/farmed-salmon-could-be-spreading-a-deadly-disease-to-their-wild-counterparts/ar-AAKpIAy
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Fuk those guys...

Poachers Steal Steelhead From Fish Traps

>>>Poachers took spawning fish from the fish trap and destroyed surveillance cameras to hide their crimes during the winter steelhead run in Woodward Creek near Powers, Oregon according to ODFW and OSP officials. They request the public's assistance in identifying these individuals.

Multiple people accessed the trap. One person, identified through surveillance footage, entered the trap to net fish, then shot one camera and stole another. Troopers caught up with Kaine M. Horner, 24, formerly of Myrtle Point, while he was fishing illegally in a closed section of the South Coquille River on Feb 22. They seized his rifle, net, and fishing gear. Charges include Criminal Mischief II, Unlawful Taking Steelhead, and Angling Prohibited Area, according to OSP Sergeant Levi Harris, who is leading the investigation. Harris is disappointed by this behavior.

https://1190kex.iheart.com/featured/portland-local-news/content/2021-05-27-poachers-steal-steelhead-from-fish-traps/
me -There's a season?