News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Something Different

Started by Onslow, June 06, 2021, 18:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

The last couple weekends of fishing have been OK.  Last weekend, I headed out to a section of stream I'd never fished before.  Access is difficult.  Ended up hiking at least 2 miles through the woods using big game trails thread my way between homesteads in the woods.  Fished for 6 hours, caught about 30, and lost a camera and nearly all the worthy pics. A few pics from the phone from last week.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

This week, I only had 4 hours to spare including driving. There is a section of stream that I've fished little bits of in the past for those less-than-an-hour quick hits, but had only fished the whole 1 mile beat in the dead middle of Winter. This stream is very low gradient, and easy on my swollen ankle.

Although it has been dry, there was still a fair amount of juice emanating from this 35 sq. mile watershed. Numbers in the stream are not high, but I wasn't here for the numbers.

Tried the streamer game with no luck. I was swinging the 6wt. today, and it had a beefy leader.  Tied on the normal rig. A #4 reddish brown rubber leg, with a #10 depth charge trailer.

It wasn't long before one was netted.  Encountered some stumps and deadfalls where a nice hole used to be.  While this unfortunate change too place, a deadfall not far up had created a small wash-over, and carved out a deep hole below it. After much time dredging with no luck, I noted a break or seam in one spot.  Dropped the rig in there, and after a bit, I lifted to the rod tip a little, and there was resistance.  This one felt like a catfish.  Much to my dismay, this thing was hooked on the nymph below on lighter tippet.  No issues were getting this guy landed.

Sorry about the shitty pics. Broken lenses on the phone cam.

itieuglyflies

Wow Ken! That was a super fat fish, well done, bravo.

greg

Phil

Whoa. Gigantor brown. Nice work!  :bow  'c;

Big J

Look at them trout living where they shouldn't.  Nicely done

Onslow

Quote from: Big J on June 07, 2021, 07:53:29 AMLook at them trout living where they shouldn't.  Nicely done

Man,they've been there forever. We haven't been looking hard enough to find them.

Water has been to high to fish this in the last few. I'm going to give the more wooded section downstream hell come Sept.

Woolly Bugger

Ho lee cow! what a beast of a brown  :cheers
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Stone-Man

Great trip report. And a helluva good brown.  That looks like my kind of stream. It looks like it might be kind to my knees,
 You catch any rock bass or sunfish in there

JT

Yallerhammer

Damn what a brown! Well done!
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Onslow

Quote from: Stone-Man on June 09, 2021, 14:46:32 PMGreat trip report. And a helluva good brown.  That looks like my kind of stream. It looks like it might be kind to my knees,
 You catch any rock bass or sunfish in there

JT

Caught a smallmouth in there 20 years ago. Sadly, I haven't given this stream the attention I should've. In the last 15 years, I may have fished the lower creek a total of 8 hours/5 trips. The best water is downstream, and there is 5 miles of good stuff lower down that is hard to reach.  Since the watershed is so large, and there aren't really any rapids, I'm thinking about either streamer fishing it from a canoe, or paddling down 5 miles, and pull the canoe up, and camp midway.

I fished about 3 miles of the lower about 20 years ago with gear, but them f7 Rapalas just don't go deep enough in the dark deep pools.

joe friday