News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Serious Environmental Disaster!

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 01, 2009, 19:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

rjs123

Wow after looking at the picture I could see some series "sport" fishing using a power boat and a machine gun :)

Stuart R.

This is the most disturbing part of that whole article.
"The fish kill has broad support from fish and wildlife officials, environmental groups and the fishing industry. The Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal, an industrial waterway, is 70% wastewater from local sewer systems. Fishing is prohibited."

YUCK :-X

STU

CPR Catch, Photo, Release.

flip

When I joined this board over the summer, I saw a post sayin carp were ging to be introduced somewhere in the area  this board covers. i posted it was a bad idea. To my knowledge, the brown and rainbow trout are one of the few non native fish to have done nothing adverse to the environments they were introduced into.

red-haired-boy

Quote from: flip on December 03, 2009, 23:28:00 PM
To my knowledge, the brown and rainbow trout are one of the few non native fish to have done nothing adverse to the environments they were introduced into.

They have been bad for places they are introduced. Browns are a big predator of our beloved brook trout (out in the west brook trout displace other native trout.) Rainbows interbreed with cutthroat's and displace them and other species. They also a bad on native frogs in high (isolated) mountain lakes. These are just a couple problems.

There are always adverse results (for at least a few species) when foreign invaders come in. At the very least they use up nutrients and food that would support something else/native.

flip

I have learned something new. I guess you can teach an old dog a new trick or two. I am fairly sure rainbows are native out west. are cut throats native to this side of the mississippi? I am fairly new to the trout fishing and I havent read much about the cut throat. From the pictures I have seen the steelhead looks like a giant rainbow. thanks for the new information.

phg

Steelhead are rainbows that find their way to big water and get to eat a little better.  Any rainbow fry could grow up to be a steelhead.  There is no genetic difference.

Cutthroats (this will get someone upset) are subspecies of rainbows, and are native to the eastern drainages of the Rockies, and related mountain ranges.  I have never heard of any native cuts east of the Mississippi, but I suppose that there could be some up in the Canadian planes.