Main Menu

2013 Warm Water

Started by OldDominionAngler, February 12, 2013, 23:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big J

Quote from: Jfey on March 03, 2013, 09:41:22 AM
Awesomeness Big J!!!   Looks like one of your flies also bd;0

Yes it is.  Tied with some of those hackle you gave me too.  -0-

They aren't the prettiest flies to the eye and they definitely aren't a Brad Bohen fly, but they look pretty moving through the water.  Glad I could get a musky to agree with me.

croaker

Grand catch right there   'c;
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Big J

My buddy just sent me a picture that he took with his camera of my musky.  I think it's a better picture.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

DRIFTS

I believe your magic fly and the cranking tunes were the catalysts for success. I firmly believe that muskies like to PARTY! /'/
l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

Aka

Spent the week end at the inlaws.
[attach=1]

[attach=2]

[attach=3]

Turned out it was a girls weekend, great grandma, grammy, great aunt, mom and daughter and me.

I slipped down to the pond and got into em' good on saturday, none of the bigger fish but got at least 30 fish.

[attach=4]

[attach=5]

[attach=6]

[attach=7]

[attach=8]

croaker

No snow down here...  High today was 47 breezy (10-15 mph) and water temp was @ 40...

Found a couple Bluegill around 6' deep in 8' of water that gently mouthed a GBGRHE under a Tellico and cork...

Fingers got cold when the Sun ducked behind the trees,  time fer a barley pop...

0:0

Won't be long til the bite looks up...

Ain't Life Grand!!!

croaker
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

OldDominionAngler

Nice big J!   Glad to see some folks got more than chapped lips this weekend.

TheYiman

My friend Jesse (doesn't post on here, occasionally on my local board) and I floated some mostly new water today.  Weather and flows looked perfect for Musky to be active.  After an early start, we hit the water.  I was eager to try out the oars that I just installed, so I was on the horns first.  Jesse got a follow from an upper 20's fish in about 12" of water within sight of the put-in.  Great start.  I had fished one of the holes on this stretch prior.  As we got above it, I said, "I have seen a couple nice fish in here."  No shit, 10 seconds later, Jesse says, "Musky, Musky, Musky!"  A hot fish tore out from under a log and chased down his fly.  Right into a figure eight and the fish inhales his offering on the first time around.  Jesse sets hard and the fish goes berserk!  After a short tense fight, I scooped up the fish into my net.  My "boat" is a 14' Old Town.  Needless to say, you have to be an idiot to bring a thrashing Musky into a canoe.  I rowed us over to some shallows to get out and deal with the fish.  The fly was firmly planted in the roof of its mouth.  After a few failed attempts to dislodge it, I broke out the Knipex cutters.  Cut that 4/0 like nothing.  Then it was easy to get the rest out.  I'm glad we left no metal in this fish.  Time for the tape and some pictures.  The fish measured out to 37 inches.  Solid first fish.  We took a few photos and send it back.  It swam off powerfully and disappeared into the depths. 

As the day went on, I spent a lot of time in the bow, since Jesse was riding high from his first Musky - he had no problem rowing me down the river.  I moved 4 more fish and blew 2 really good shots.  One really nice fish inhaled the fly and I pulled it out of its mouth when trying to set the hook.  All together we saw 8 fish and I also missed a decent Smallie that tried to eat my big ole fly.  This was the first float in long time that I saw schools of bait fish and a couple bass.  Spring is right around the corner.

A few photos -

(Yup, that's a tape deck)

My newly installed oars worked great.  This was a big time improvement to my canoe.  They are awesome, I can run my canoe like a drifter.

A long time coming for my friend

This guy was moving a little slow in the cold.

I wish I had connected on the two hot fish I moved today.  I'll be back after them shortly.  Looking forward to a great 2013 Warmwater season and many more successful floats.

_Fish_Pimp

Awesome! I want a musky...  :'(

Big J

Dang Yiman, you saw a lot of musky.  VA was a different story.  We didn't see a single musky Saturday or see a single follow.  The musky I caught came from a long cast and he ate on the second strip so we didn't even see him until he was hooked.  It was also a very cold day here.  Talk to another buddy of mine who was out saturday and he didn't see a single musky either.  He hit three different sections of river that day (lower of a river, upper of that river, and then a different river).  VA musky definitely weren't as active.

Cheers on your buddy boating one  'c;

Jfey

That's a pretty good musky day Yiman.  Congrats to your bud for boating one!
Yup, going fishing

kylemc

Very Nice guys!

TVA finally removed the dick from our ass for some smallie action..

doubled up...

My buddy got a double on a tandem streamer rig..don't see that much 'c;

Cheers!

Kyle

Woolly Bugger

Awesome "Warm Water" reportage from the tail end of winter.. /'/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

Thanks for the great reports, Gents! 'c; 'c; 'c;
That was some serious sore lippin' on really nice smallies, Kyle.

overbrook

Quote from: TheYiman on March 04, 2013, 23:33:40 PM
My friend Jesse was riding high from his first Musky -