News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

What is this Mayfly?

Started by rjs123, May 07, 2011, 20:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs123

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Saw quite a few of these coming off on the Smith.  About size 10-12.

Friar Tuck

Nice pic. Looks like a March Brown. Were the trout eating them?

rjs123

The strange think was, at least it was strange to me, I saw some floating by and not being taken. The fish were rising though.

Shane

Shane

It's got a little purple in it, If the dun is even more purple than that, then it's probably the Hiner subspecies.

The Dude

Quote from: Shane on May 16, 2011, 19:41:46 PM
Hendrickson

Really???  With the two tails and the mottled wings, I was not thinking Hendrickson at all.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Shane

Quote from: The Dude on May 16, 2011, 19:58:49 PM
Quote from: Shane on May 16, 2011, 19:41:46 PM
Hendrickson

Really???  With the two tails and the mottled wings, I was not thinking Hendrickson at all.

Yeah, probably not. I don't know much about mayflys in particular. Just color and general size.  That's what I call those on the smith, though.

Shane

diaz dassie

Natures version of Purina trout chow

The Dude

Quote from: Shane on May 16, 2011, 20:39:17 PM
Yeah, probably not. I don't know much about mayflys in particular. Just color and general size.  That's what I call those on the smith, though.

You know, that is the crazy thing about fly fishing.  There is no real standard of the common names of flies.  I think it happens all too often that two anglers can be talking about the same fly, but one calls it Light Cahill and another calls it a Pale Evening Dun, etc.  I bet this is especially true across different geographic regions (ex. "Michigan Caddis" which is not even a caddisfly, and is referred to by most eastern anglers as a Green Drake).  It's sort of like the color theory.  Personally, I HATE latin names and I can't remember them for crap.  But that really is the only way to truly keep everybody on the same page until someone is able to unify the common nomenclature once and for all and it gets accepted by the entire fly fishing community.
But in the end, I agree with you Shane.  I'm typically more interested in size and color than anything else.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

lostnwilderness

Looks like a tasty treat to me....
"I read The Bible once. You know God and Jesus and all them apostles? They were all fishermen, just like me. Yeah, straight to heaven for Mick Dundee. Yep, me and God... We'd be mates."