News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbphoto, Woolly Bugger, creakycane and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

looks like the lake is topped out at about 4" above the spillway. The rain has stopped for the time being.

Most recent instantaneous value: 985.31 05-22-2020   09:45 EDT

You cannot view this attachment.
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

the [ake has created and falling to 985.29 at 10:45  /'/  expect it to be below the spillway late this afternoon.  d:b
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

troutrus

Got up a tad down here in Eden where it dumps into the Dan. Second time in three months that the golf course at the confluence has been under water.
Sad for the folks with homes along there. 🙁

Al

Woolly Bugger

Riddle me this, Batman!

Bassett Gauge vs Martinsville

Why is there 1320 difference at Martinsville?
me -There's a season?

Al

I am at my cabin behind the Bassett High School. We have had one hell of a rain storm the past hours. Just got a flood warning for this area and also a text from a friend who said they are evacuating the nursing home down by the Bassett High School.

Don't know anything more but expect the Smith has jumped its banks and flooding that big field by the Stanley Town Bridge.

Glad I am up on higher ground.

Onslow

4 inches of rain just dropped.

Woolly Bugger

Almost 4.5 inches

Town creek is raging

me -There's a season?

Al

Water came over Stanleytown Bridge. Water came into some sections of the nursing home but they decided not to evacuate. Water came into Dollar General store. Cunningham Tire store had one wall collapse. That's all I know so far - I suspect homes tight to the river got flooded.

Al

Just saw on Phipott FB page they had a landslide on the downstream side of the dam which damaged their power house. All control of the water is in the hands of God until they can get power to the device that operates in gates

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Al on May 25, 2020, 11:06:07 AMJust saw on Phipott FB page they had a landslide on the downstream side of the dam which damaged their power house. All control of the water is in the hands of God until they can get power to the device that operates in gates

Damn!

Posted by U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Wilmington District on 
me -There's a season?

Al

Expect if you do a FB search you will see several photos of the rain/flood damage now. I tried to get out at 1000 this morning and many roads were blocked off. I'm told there is a big sink hole on Riverside Drive in Bassett. The ended up not evacuating the nursing home near the Bassett High School although they got up to 4 inches of water down the hallways and into some rooms. Dollar General along Stanleytown Bridge had water in it - Water came over Stanleytown Bridge for awhile. Cunningham Tire had a wall collaspe which in turn collasped the whole room.

Here is a couple photos I took at the Great Road canoe access - Glad I wasn't in the crapper when this all took place

This next one is at the big hole at end of Shadyview Rd near the old church

The last one is at Canoe Ramp just below Martinsville Dam

streamereater_101691

I find it absolutely ridiculous that the COE didn't reduce flows to compensate for the forecasted rain yesterday evening. Heavy rainfall was in the forecast. So what if a little more water came over the spillway for a few hours. At least homes and business wouldn't have been severely damaged. They should have reduced to one generator at noon yesterday based on the high chance of heavy precipitation and then start sluicing again when the rain passed. Ridiculous.