News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Recent posts

Local Trip Reports / Re: Smith-Continued
Last post by Woolly Bugger - Today at 07:09:40 AM

#24 -- 29 overcast, slight drizzle, clearing skies 50s

Last minute decision to hit the river in the afternoon as it was a dreary morning with periods of heavy rain. Since I got a late start I just hit the roadside attractions in town. As I was gearing up a wildlife officer pulled in and asked me if I had seen a Subaru. I had not. He drove on. I waded out to the top of the run and was surprised by catching a fish on the first cast. The one was quickly followed by a half dozen. I made a quick trip back to the car which was within sight to take off a layer of clothing and put four fish on ice. Back in the water I worked my way down to the bottom of the run and caught fish all along the way, culling two more for my limit. The river was up just enough to give me pause in crossing the deep run and I waded back upstream to the car. It was beer thirty and as I enjoyed my malty beverage a guy pulled in and asked how I did, "I caught dozen on a soft hackle." With a puzzled look, he replied, "I'm going down to the honey hole to catch my limit. They like powerbait and (undecipherable)."

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

The Gravel Bar / Re: unlimited odds and ends
Last post by Onslow - March 27, 2024, 17:08:28 PM
June 2, 1924, Calvin Coolidge signed the Snyder act. Some American Indians were eligible for citizenship in 1919 after WWI, but it wasn't until the Snyder Act was signed that all were :'(

Just thought I'd bring this up during this traditional season of self reflection as the 100 anniversary mark nears.
Last post by creakycane - March 27, 2024, 15:34:04 PM
Quote from: Dougfish on March 27, 2024, 13:42:05 PM
Quote from: creakycane on March 27, 2024, 12:50:42 PMLooks like reservoir level is already shooting up.

Up 0.06' since yesterday.  :wave

Yes I stand corrected.  My auto-scaling on this new site made the jump look worse than it is......

Seems most of rain is staying south and east toward I95 and further east.
Last post by Dougfish - March 27, 2024, 13:42:05 PM
Quote from: creakycane on March 27, 2024, 12:50:42 PMLooks like reservoir level is already shooting up.

Up 0.06' since yesterday.  :wave
Last post by creakycane - March 27, 2024, 12:50:42 PM
Looks like reservoir level is already shooting up.
The Gravel Bar / Re: Climate change?
Last post by Woolly Bugger - March 27, 2024, 11:26:03 AM
Climate change is altering Earth's rotation enough to mess with our clocks

The melting of polar ice due to global warming is affecting Earth's rotation and could have an impact on precision timekeeping, according to a paper published Wednesday in the journal Nature.

The planet is not about to jerk to a halt, nor speed up so rapidly that everyone gets flung into space. But timekeeping is an exact science in a highly technological society, which is why global authorities more than half a century ago felt compelled by the slight changes in Earth's rotation to invent the concept of the "leap second."

Climate change is now making these calculations even more complicated: In just a few years it may be necessary to insert a "negative leap second" into the calendar to get the planet's rotation in sync with Coordinated Universal Time.

https://wapo.st/43yVFJq
Last post by Fin - March 27, 2024, 08:29:52 AM
Quote72 hour forecast is only .25 inches of rain!

Passed over the river this morning by the sports complex. Water still looks good.
Last post by Woolly Bugger - March 26, 2024, 15:52:33 PM
72 hour forecast is only .25 inches of rain!
The Gravel Bar / Re: unlimited odds and ends
Last post by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 - March 26, 2024, 11:03:31 AM
Quote from: trout-r-us on March 26, 2024, 08:03:11 AMMaking books available vs making books required reading are two different things.
I would agree that the public schools should be monitored regarding books that are required reading, but the libraries should offer the opportunity for students to research any topic they would like. To do otherwise, restricts learning which in turn can lead to the creation of more ignorant bigoted blowhards such as Senator Kennedy.

I agree, 100 percent!

Simply seeing students in a library reading/researching anything is encouraging, at least to me.  Plus, the material available on the web surely dwarfs any material found in a school or public library.

Of all the crap our youth must deal with during this chapter of human existence, questionable readings/books located in school libraries are darned close to the bottom of the list.

Also, one of you pretentious peckerwoods please tell me the true definition of woke.   
The Gravel Bar / Re: Unlimited Nuclear Disaster...
Last post by Woolly Bugger - March 26, 2024, 08:35:25 AM
Images from deep inside Japan's Fukushima nuclear plant show daunting scale of clean-up job

Images taken by miniature drones from deep inside a badly damaged reactor at the Fukushima nuclear plant show displaced control equipment and misshapen materials but leave many questions unanswered, underscoring the daunting task of decommissioning the plant.

The 12 photos released by the plant's operator are the first from inside the main structural support called the pedestal in the hardest-hit No. 1 reactor's primary containment vessel, an area directly under the reactor's core. Officials had long hoped to reach the area to examine the core and melted nuclear fuel which dripped there when the plant's cooling systems were damaged by a massive earthquake and tsunami in 2011.

Earlier attempts with robots were unable to reach the area. The two-day probe using tiny drones was completed last week by Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings, or TEPCO, which released the photos on Monday.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fukushima-nuclear-disaster-japan-drone-photos-deep-inside-reactor-1-meltdown/