News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Shad Run X (Cast and Blast)

Started by flynhokies, April 16, 2010, 11:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flynhokies

It's that time of year again, Men.  The Birds are Gobbling and struttin for mates, the shad are running miles upstream to their sacred spwaning grounds, and two brave men set out again to try to stop both from reaching their goal.

4:30 AM alarms screaming, but too late, the thrill of the turkey hunt has already awakened my instincts and i have beat the alarm to it.  Call up midgerod who is likewise already in full camo and ready to meet me at the local store.  Coffee Chugging competition.....Firing up the Silverado....racing down the road to hear the first gobbler sound off.  Quick sneak through the woods and the perfect setup on a hot bird.  All seemed perfect, the gobbler cutting himself off with excitement.  Then, heartbreak, a real hen clucks in and steals the bird away when he is 20 yards outside of range of the trusty 12 guage.  A minor setback, time to reset.  Many calls and hours later, a gobble breaks the dead silence that 10 am brings to turkeys.  Sprinting around the nearest knob, and belly crawling the last 20 yards to the perfect set up.  Midgerod's yelps and purrs echoed up the holler and a few seconds passed, taking hours from my life, then when all hope was lost, the bird responds hot and his gobble rocks the countryside.  Within 5 minutes, the show was on, the 20 pound bird strutting back and forth, blue in the face, and expecting some action.  Thats just what he got, a few seconds later when i heard the long anticipated words "take em'"....the hammer dropped and the bird went down, much to the surprise of the hen he brought with him.  A short hike back to the truck, and many high fives later, i stopped and came to the realization......Only 5 hours into shad run X all this had happened, with 90 hours left on this great adventure, how could it get any better?....Thats when we hit the trout stream.

[attach=1]

[attach=2]

[attach=3]

[attach=4]

team victory

[attach=5]

"The richness I achieve comes from Nature, the source of my inspiration."
-Claude Monet

flynhokies

shore lunch
[attach=1]

how adorable
[attach=2]

caught some of these
[attach=3]

midgerod...to the reel!
[attach=4]

on to the capitol city to cut off the shad
[attach=5]

the journey continues...
-Claude Monet

Trout Maharishi

Y'all were doing real well until you started posing for the camera. Do I need to remind both of you this ain't one of them gay trolling looking for love sites ;) >:D Please review the basic requirements for attachments in fishing and hunting reports :police:
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

MidgeRod

Hahaha, Sensei with your infinite knowledge, how could you have overlooked rule number 1?....and about the gay sites, i believe we're still operating under Don't Ask, Don't Tell   :-X, but try not to be so bitter about getting kicked off of PoundmePrisonstyle.net  ;D
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." (Gerald Ford #38)

flynhokies

looks like someone had a sargasm :P .  in non-gay news...

into the cap city
[attach=1]

sorry BRA, but no graffiti
[attach=2]

got a late start today, but still managed to hook into an alright amount, only boated a few though. this is the best from today...
[attach=3]

found my new avatard on the side of the velvet club
[attach=4]

saturday should be...
-Claude Monet

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: MidgeRod on April 16, 2010, 23:43:59 PM
Hahaha, Sensei with your infinite knowledge, how could you have overlooked rule number 1?....and about the gay sites, i believe we're still operating under Don't Ask, Don't Tell   :-X, but try not to be so bitter about getting kicked off of PoundmePrisonstyle.net  ;D

Midgerod,
How much did you pay for that ad anyway? ;D >:D
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

MidgeRod

hahahah sensei, thanks for giving it double exposure, and as for how much it cost.......just enough  :'(
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." (Gerald Ford #38)

matrat118

I just hope you weren't hunting in Lane stadium.
"I have laid aside business and gone a-fishing"... Izaak walton

flynhokies

Quote from: matrat118 on April 18, 2010, 18:34:16 PM
I just hope you weren't hunting in Lane stadium.

naw...we were too busy dog fighting in burrus.
-Claude Monet

flynhokies

sorry for the delay, you know how it is  (0--0)

beer me an anchor big tuna...yup our dumbasses forgot that rivers tend to carry you with them
[attach=1]

kinda like this guy, wilson!
[attach=2]

i left my wallet in the truck. hooray game wardens
[attach=3]

dammit, you're not a shad
[attach=4]

that's more like it
[attach=5]

saturday was filled with heartbreak, as two very large americans came unbuttoned right at the canoe...net next time. i'll let midgerod offically end shad run X, to great success and to shad run '011  0--0
-Claude Monet

MidgeRod

The sun sank behind the familiar Blue Ridge Mountains in the western skies of southwest Virginia as I put the truck in park and officially ended Shad Run X.  All had been accomplished: a bird was bagged and in the freezer, many shad had been put to the reel, "Ol' Red" had a newly fashioned anchor, the hangovers from a night of celebration had ended, and 700 miles had been added to Ol" faithful.  I was lost in time contemplating the trip and the victory that two southern boys had just delivered to fish, bird, and city....and it hit me that this is what its truly like to be an American.

blue ridge angler

nice..trains are cool even if they are clean in my book.. 0--0