News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Sage and Rio go direct sales

Started by Dougfish, June 25, 2015, 07:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougfish

They join Orvis, Redington, Simms, Patagonia, etc.

https://www.anglingtrade.com/2015/06/16/sage-and-rio-to-sell-direct/

The Sage deal doesn't really affect me. I wave cheap vintage junk. I guess it was inevitable. If all your dealers have online stores, plus Amazon stores, and you already have bowed down to Cabelas and Bass Pro, it's not a big leap to offer it online through your own store.

RiverbumCO

If you think about what you could buy of substance instead of a $700 rod its kinda silly.  I domt care where they are sold.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

flatlander

This has been going on in my industry (home furnishings) as manufacturers contemplate how to navigate increasing market share without alienating their dealer bases and creating channel conflict.  Having to rely on small dealers to represent and market your products is tough.  Sorry fly shops...most of you suck at it! 

I suspect the manufacturers will work out a program where shops are compensated for direct sales according to the purchaser's zip code.  That's the way a lot of manufacturers are dealing with this. 

sanjuanwormhatch

I used to get caught up in the arms race that is rod buying.  Truly marketing and nothing else.  Buy used. 

Big J

Quote from: Flatlander on June 25, 2015, 07:35:06 AM
Sorry fly shops...most of you suck at it! 

^This

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on June 25, 2015, 07:36:53 AM
Truly marketing and nothing else.  Buy used. 

^and this

Quote from: RiverbumCO on June 25, 2015, 07:33:34 AM
If you think about what you could buy of substance instead of a $700 rod its kinda silly.  I domt care where they are sold.

^do you fish still?

tw5270

The last rod I bought new was over 15 years ago.

Don't get me wrong I love some of the expensive stuff, I just don't love parting with more than I spent on my first car for a fly rod.

sanjuanwormhatch

I still want to buy one of them green rods but I'll wait for a good deal and when I can actually use it more than twice a year.

Dougfish

This has been going on in my industry (home furnishings) .......

In a weird blending of the subject, we have a fly shop up here that is owned by an family furniture manufacturing heir.
He could teach "How to alienate your customers: 101".
I hope he has to eat his Sage's for breakfast.

Sorry J, did not start out to rile you up.

Big J

Quote from: Dougfish on June 25, 2015, 08:33:39 AM

In a weird blending of the subject, we have a fly shop up here that is owned by an family furniture manufacturing heir.

Sure.  I have to be more careful what I say about said fly shop because I know they lurk on here.   :-X

sanjuanwormhatch

there seem to be a lot of those self righteous fucks.  luckily, my locals are pretty cool. 

Big J

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on June 25, 2015, 09:19:46 AM

there seem to be a lot of those self righteous fucks.  luckily, my locals are pretty cool.

Fish Hawk Fly Shop?  Love that fly shop. Some down to earth guys right there. 

I will say that my fly shop, two of the guys there are good guys.  Like them both.  Just one of the people there rubs me the wrong way and has the fly shop going in a direction I do not prefer. 

flatlander

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on June 25, 2015, 09:19:46 AM

Gary Merriman does a great job.  I'm not saying small, independent shops don't have their hearts in the right place...but they often just don't have the open-to-buy dollars to adequately represent the manufacturers.  Of course, Raz Reid has a say in what they get to sell, too.

Onslow

Quote from: RiverbumCO on June 25, 2015, 07:33:34 AM

I wholeheartedly agree.  However, thinking will only bring you despair, and will cause you to become a curmudgeon prematurely. Being vain, frivolous, self absorbed, greedy, and mentally inert will set you on the path to true happiness.  Ignorance is bliss.