News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Beetle's Book and Word Thread

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, March 14, 2017, 10:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee-Vo

Quote from: troutrus on December 06, 2020, 09:13:18 AMFor those of us that didn't make the trip, the book offers some understanding of what it was like to be a Green Beret in Viet Nam. Unlike many of the shoot 'em up hero type war stories that we often hear,  Al also reveals a heartfelt human side to the book with stories and photos showing the local civilians and beautiful children in a war torn country.
Very well done Al. Thank you for your service.
You cannot view this attachment.

I've got this one on my list to purchase and read very soon.

troutrus

"Every spiritual tradition says love your neighbor as yourself, not tolerate them." -I.W.

Dee-Vo

Kings, dragons, magicians, and castles!

👑  🐉  🪄  🏰  ⚔️  🗡 🧪

Another good book completed. And yet another King novel with Flagg as the villain. Interesting.

On to the next! 📖 📚

#stephenking #flagg #theeyesofthedragon #delainYou cannot view this attachment.

Dee-Vo

If you enjoy a good, modern-day ghost story, you'll be happy with this one. 👻 🖤 ☠️

The first I've read from Joe Hill, son of Stephen King. After finishing this one today, I'll definitely be picking up more of his work soon. 📖 📚

Heart-Shaped Box was Hill's first novel and is one excellent, creepy story. Put the lights low, turn the television off, and read this one all alone late on a quiet night. It'll have you glimpsing over your shoulder while you wonder what that creaking sound in your house was....after all, you were supposed to be the only one in the house, right? 😱 😦 😟 💀

#joehill #craddock #heartshapedbox #deadman #jude #nightroad

Note —  Anyone ever hear or use the term cornpone? It was used several times in this book. I don't think I'd heard it. In this context, it's a slang term for redneck/hillbilly, etc.

Woolly Bugger

Listened to this podcast the other day and thought I'd give some $ to Nick Luis who is brought so much enjoyment to our literary fly fishing pursuits.

Tom Rosenbaurer's Podcast:
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-orvis-fly-fishing-podcast/id278930814?i=1000504088727

Fire in the Straw

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutrus

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
― Ralph Waldo Emerson

https://amzn.to/3nQlA99

Dee-Vo

Finished my first book by Heather Gudenkauf earlier this evening. 👍🏻

The mystery and suspense of the overall story was enjoyable. However, I found several portions of the writing to be oddly presented — as in moot points being made repeatedly along with other aspects of the story. If you've read this one maybe we can discuss. 📚 📖

A good book. I may pick up more of her work in the future.

#missingpieces #heathergudenkauf #whodunitYou cannot view this attachment.

Yallerhammer

Most excellent.

https://amzn.to/3qjRqga
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Dee-Vo

This debut novel from Delia Owens is a home run. Granted, it took me a handful of pages to get warmed up to it as it is something unusual for my typical taste, however, when it gains momentum, the story is a page-turner to say the least.

A great mixture of elements come together to make this one a success. Where the Crawdads Sing has a little of a lot. Little love. But, not too much. Little mystery. But, it'll pull you in. Plenty of nature talk, which is an excellent aspect of this whole thing. Add in a few suspenseful moments, and you've got yourself a heck of a book.

#deliaowens #swamp #marshgirl #wherethecrawdadssing #amandahamilton

https://amzn.to/3onRudg

troutrus

🎼Picture yourself in a boat on a river🎼

troutrus

"Ain't many guys travel around together...I don't know why. Maybe ever'body in the whole damn world is scared of each other" (Steinbeck, 17)

Dee-Vo

Quote from: troutrus on January 31, 2021, 08:04:46 AM"Ain't many guys travel around together...I don't know why. Maybe ever'body in the whole damn world is scared of each other" (Steinbeck, 17)

Read this one a lifetime ago. Good one.

troutrus

"It does us all good to unbend sometimes."
― Mark Twain, The Prince and the Pauper

Al

Quote from: troutrus on December 06, 2020, 09:13:18 AMFor those of us that didn't make the trip, the book offers some understanding of what it was like to be a Green Beret in Viet Nam. Unlike many of the shoot 'em up hero type war stories that we often hear,  Al also reveals a heartfelt human side to the book with stories and photos showing the local civilians and beautiful children in a war torn country.
Very well done Al. Thank you for your service.

Hot Dam, just saw this! Thanks. I am honored to appear on the Beetle's Book and Word Thread.

How about me - what am I reading? A few weeks into the Covid pandemic I signed up for a free Libby audio book account through our local library. Thousands of books to chose from, some very current and some old classics. They even have "A River Runs Through It". I download them to my cellphone and play them over my truck radio or by using ear buds while trying flies or other things around the house. Right now I am listening to the unabridged version Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove. It pretty well follows the TV series but lots more detail - makes me smile at all the descriptive pictures you miss when you're just watching the TV series. 

If you don't have a Libby account you can find the app at your phone's Play Store. You'll also need a local library account. All free so no excuse not to expand your mind.

Dougfish

Beetle lives, BTW. Lives well.
Had a quick visit/landscape consult with him today at his Shangri La.
Maybe we'll fish again some day.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006