As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Woolly Goes Wild - IV

Started by Woolly Bugger, August 12, 2020, 10:23:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

August 10, 2020 #33

Gas $1.89

I tied up several royal humpies a few weeks ago. They look serviceable, not great, but I figured they would catch small stream fish. After taking care of some banking issues, I headed up into Virginia to the closest freestone creek. There were only two cars at the trailhead and one family was just leaving. I hiked up a way and gave the RH a try. It floated ok, but I realized I was going to need the good ole shake n bake desiccant, so back down to the car and back up the trail, this time with everything that I had forgotten.

I hiked up a little over a half-mile and jumped on in. It wasn't long before the RH was attracting attention. The little wild fish hit it in a flash, most of the time not getting hooked in the process and it was a little while before one came to hand. The one and only brown was the first fish. Then it was brookies and rainbows about 50/50. The glare on the water made it difficult to track the fly, and I thought of changing it up but in the end, stuck with the one fly. It's a little chewed up now, but I'll keep fishing it till it falls apart or gets stuck in a tree.

I used the iPhone SE with a Rogue Fishing Co. phone protector tether.

Click to purchase

I felt much better using the phone to take fish pictures as the silicone around the phone made for a sure grip and the coiled tether clipped to my belt stretched enough to get any shot I wanted.

I had passed through a couple of thunderstorms on the way up and the air was thick with tension. I felt a storm could break out, so when I heard thunder from over the ridge I wasn't surprised. But it did make me anxious as I didn't bring a rain jacket, I had thought about it, but left it in the car anyway, so much
for packing everything I needed.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Big J

I always like when people pester Doug's pets.  Even picked up the coveted slam there.   V:;

Dougfish

Funny, I pulled in there to check the water levels yesterday.  'c;
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

troutboy_II

Let's see - rain jacket or NEIPA?   

You made right choice!   :cheers

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.