News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Metal detectors

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, March 27, 2012, 10:33:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Anyone own and use a metal detector?   Any suggestions on make and model appreciated.   Can I get a good one for under $500?  Many thanks.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

WRector

Depends on what you are wanting to do with it.  How accurate, ability to read different types of metal, vary frequency emitters based on different types of metal found.  A good place to start would be White's.  My family bought my granddad one about 10-years ago.  That's really the extent of my knowledge, however. 

After he passed, I think the one we got him still remains in VA.  If you interested, I'll see if I can find it and make sure it still works the next time I am up there.  It was one of White's base models.   If anything it will help you find some rusty nails in your back yard.

My guess is, you'd be better off to give these guys a call and discuss with them what you are planning on doing with it.

http://whiteselectronics.com/

Good luck!
There's a big difference between a dry fly dancing through
a riffle and a weighted fur ball dragging on the bottom.

Transylwader

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on March 27, 2012, 10:33:18 AM
Anyone own and use a metal detector?   Any suggestions on make and model appreciated.   Can I get a good one for under $500?  Many thanks.
It's cheaper to play the lotto, MG. You gonna be the ole perv who pretends to be looking for gold on the beach?
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

robs_seven

We bought my dad one three years ago SK hd could be the old perv on the beach.  I never could figure it out it was a lower end model $250ish.  It seemed inconsistent and inaccurate.  Good luck with it
!!!Tying, building, fishing!!!

Quote from: Transylwader on June 25, 2012, 09:04:59 AM
This creek was so big that a high hole was virtually impossible.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Old perv?  At the beach? 

Old = yes.  Perv= no.  Beach = no.  I am too old to be a perv.  I am way past my personal age threshold (obviously varies) for this type of perversion.  And I have not been to the beach in many years (30+), not since my wife and I were dating.  She loves the beach; I do not.  After we tied the knot, I refused to vacation at the beach.  Plus flat land away from the beach panics me on cloudy, overcast days.  I can't figure out north, south, east, or west.  And I don't like sand.

I have an idea on the location of lost coins and other metal trinkets.  I want to see what I can find.  And I have lost objects I would like to recover, like an old pipe tool.

Thanks for the info gentlemen. 

Woolly Bugger

My mom did that for a while, looking for old coins ect, never did recoup the cost of the detector -- It might be available for a fair price...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

overbrook

I second the "whites"   we used to hunt all the time and had several....they always worked pretty well.The key is knowing how to dial in on certain metals while ruling out the trash.....we found lots of coins, nothing real valuable, but we did find a ring worth about $1,200. The ring turned out to be our great great grandmothers ring lost during a fire. They are fun to play with ....get a decent one and a good set of earphones.

Stone-Man

Muddy,
A buddy who is very active in metal detecting found 14 gold rings plus other gold jewelry last year.  The majority of which were under water.
His gear is expensive, but He suggests that you buy a mid range detector in the beginning ( kind of like not buying a Helios as your 1st fly pole)

I saw a flick of a ring one of his fellow detectors found  - Dig this  --- Solid gold man's ring with 18 diamonds in it ... Holy Shit  bd;0

JT

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Again, many thanks for the information folks.

When I get one, I will be sure to report on what I find.

Happy trails.