Main Menu

Unlimited bear news

Started by Woolly Bugger, August 09, 2015, 15:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

http://abc7news.com/news/camera-captures-bear-on-top-of-garbage-truck/1454232/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Big J

Quote from: Dougfish on August 04, 2016, 14:26:56 PM
Bear kills dog in SNP. (Instead of the owner)

http://www.roanoke.com/news/virginia/bear-kills-dog-in-shenandoah-national-park-prompting-trail-closure/article_476394d7-74a9-51d5-a308-39872a784fed.html?mode=story

Frickin people feeding bears is causing a lot of the bear issues.  Someone on the board told me about an issue they had with a bear circling their camp at night to the point where they had to hike out around Pembroke area. 

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on August 09, 2016, 07:36:39 AM

http://www.roanoke.com/news/virginia/bear-kills-dog-in-shenandoah-national-park-prompting-trail-closure/article_476394d7-74a9-51d5-a308-39872a784fed.html?mode=story

Frickin people feeding bears is causing a lot of the bear issues.  Someone on the board told me about an issue they had with a bear circling their camp at night to the point where they had to hike out around Pembroke area.

I encountered a number of bears in the SNP back in the 80s, while traversing and sampling all the streams.  I learned much about bear trails, sign, etc. in environs where they are protected, but I never had a problem or was ever spooked. 

It may be age, it could be a lack of fitness like running or agility to climb a tree, it might be the news of unprovoked attacks, but now I am awkwardly mindful of the big black critters.   So wary that I renewed my conceal carry permit and picked it up at the Bath courthouse yesterday.  Hopefully carrying a .357 will end looking over the shoulder when enjoying the Allegheny Highlands. 

My feeling is there are too damned many of them, at least in my area, and maybe even in other areas like the SNP.  My son has as many bear as deer on his game cam --- less than ½ miles from downtown Mountain Grove.

I may purchase a VA bear tag this year.   
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Michael Toris

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on August 09, 2016, 09:25:38 AM
Quote from: Big J on August 09, 2016, 07:36:39 AM

I encountered a number of bears in the SNP back in the 80s, while traversing and sampling all the streams.  I learned much about bear trails, sign, etc. in environs where they are protected, but I never had a problem or was ever spooked. 

It may be age, it could be a lack of fitness like running or agility to climb a tree, it might be the news of unprovoked attacks, but now I am awkwardly mindful of the big black critters.   So wary that I renewed my conceal carry permit and picked it up at the Bath courthouse yesterday.  Hopefully carrying a .357 will end looking over the shoulder when enjoying the Allegheny Highlands. 

My feeling is there are too damned many of them, at least in my area, and maybe even in other areas like the SNP.  My son has as many bear as deer on his game cam --- less than ½ miles from downtown Mountain Grove.

I may purchase a VA bear tag this year.
Can't say by experience, but I've read many Alaskan guides who strongly prefer bear spray over any firearm.

Big J

Quote from: DAYUMson on August 09, 2016, 11:45:33 AM

Can't say by experience, but I've read many Alaskan guides who strongly prefer bear spray over any firearm.

I agree.  I think I'd definitely carry spray out west where you have grizzlies.  Out here I feel plenty fine with a .357 if not better than I would with spray.  Black Bears are funny.  Why do not attack often, but when they do, they mean business.  Grizzlies will attack you just because they are pissed at you and leave you afterwards.  If a black bear attacks you, it will eat you.  Heard plenty of stories of a person who "played dead" with a black bear only to have the black bear start to eat them.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Bear spray?  I can't hit my own feet with the spray Lotrimin.  How would I come close to a charging bear with a spray of a dried fruit used for spice and seasoning?

With the firearm, there's at least the opportunity  to shoot myself in the head before the sons-a-bitch completely gobbles me.

bmadd

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on August 09, 2016, 12:50:47 PM
Bear spray?  I can't hit my own feet with the spray Lotrimin.  How would I come close to a charging bear with a spray of a dried fruit used for spice and seasoning?

Well that brings up an interesting question

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on August 09, 2016, 12:50:47 PM

With the firearm, there’s at least the opportunity  to shoot myself in the head before the sons-a-bitch completely gobbles me.

Nevermind

Jfey

Quote from: Big J on August 09, 2016, 12:11:01 PM
Quote from: DAYUMson on August 09, 2016, 11:45:33 AM

I agree.  I think I'd definitely carry spray out west where you have grizzlies.  Out here I feel plenty fine with a .357 if not better than I would with spray.  Black Bears are funny.  Why do not attack often, but when they do, they mean business.  Grizzlies will attack you just because they are pissed at you and leave you afterwards.  If a black bear attacks you, it will eat you.  Heard plenty of stories of a person who "played dead" with a black bear only to have the black bear start to eat them.

Bear spray is legit.   We tested some last time I was in MT and it shot about 20-30 ft and we all were about choked out from the after spray.  Pro tip, when testing it take into account which direction the wind is blowing. 

We decided the best option if attacked would be to spray ourselves in the face so we wouldn't notice a grizzly was eating us.
Yup, going fishing

Big J

Reminds of a story one of the CPA's in the office told me.  She carries mace with her everywhere she goes and one day she had the mace out while in the office alone.  She got to thinking about how she has never used mace before and it was an old can.  She decided to test it out in her office and spray the corner of the room.  That stuff got in the air of that office and got into her eyes so bad she had to go home and wash it out. 

bmadd

Enough of the nonsense, hypotheticals guys. WMT, MUDWALL, some other man of science, important question here.

Does a bear shit in the woods?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: bmadd on August 09, 2016, 16:18:37 PM
Enough of the nonsense, hypotheticals guys. WMT, MUDWALL, some other man of science, important question here.

Does a bear shit in the woods?

You must know this is a cataleptic question that really is not a question at all, but an idiosyncratic way of saying 'yes'.   

So, your unpalatable text reads:

"Enough of the nonsense, hypotheticals guys. WMT, MUDWALL, some other man of science, important question here.
Yes"

You been hanging out with WMT?

bmadd

Dougfish

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Dee-Vo

Crowd-sized pepper spray sucks very badly. I can't imagine the actual bear stuff. From the videos I've watched, it'd be hard to miss the bear. Keeping your composure while it's charging would be the challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk