As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Unlimited bear news

Started by Woolly Bugger, August 09, 2015, 15:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: benben on October 07, 2015, 16:53:02 PM
That's pretty crazy Ken.   

The kid that got attacked on Hazel Creek recently gives me pause as well.   For all intents and purposes it seemed unprovoked.

If we, smelly humans, are in the woods, then it is provoked.     
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Onslow

My former employer once had a hunting lease on a parcel of peanut farm land/swamp near Plymouth NC.  His wife once took to the tree stand, and after a bit, a bear found her and proceeded to climb up the tree where she was perched on her climber.  The bear was apparently interested in the odor she was emitting...she was menstruating.  She shoood the bear and threatened to shoot it.  The bear responded appropriately and left her alone.

I hunted the lease and was amazed at the quantity of crap in the fields.  Although the bears were thick as fleas in the area, I never saw a single one whilst hunting there.

themidge

Just talked to my father who was telling me about a farmer near us (South of Lynchburg, north of Danville) who decided to raise organic hogs. Bought some nuts of some sort and put them in a creep feeder for the hogs, and a bear got into it. Hogs approached the creep feeder with bear near it and bear killed 6 hogs. Didn't eat any of the hogs, but apparently was just defending its new found feeder.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

A friend of mine just posted up this pic of some activity on her deck in Colorado

me -There's a season?

IFStultz

Huh. That's weird. Supposedly no grizzlies in Colorado.

IFStultz

Parents have seen a black bear at the Martinsville city reservoir and my brother spotted one on the road the special regs section is on, up the hill from the tracks recently.

Jfey

Yup, going fishing

Woolly Bugger

@jfey can't view yer photo

But what were you doing in West Jefferson?

me -There's a season?

Jfey

photo repaired.

Obviously, I am spreading some Christmas cheer!
Yup, going fishing

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on October 07, 2015, 17:54:22 PM
Quote from: benben on October 07, 2015, 16:53:02 PM
That's pretty crazy Ken.   

The kid that got attacked on Hazel Creek recently gives me pause as well.   For all intents and purposes it seemed unprovoked.

If we, smelly humans, are in the woods, then it is provoked.   

We belong in the woods just as much as the bears. Or at least some of us do. We didn't evolve in some suburb eating gluten-free tofu and wearing Birkenstocks and driving Priuses (Priusi?), as much as some people seem to think that is our natural state of being. Humans, at the base, are bloodthirsty predatory woodland animals that can hold their own with the best of them.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

driver

@yallerhammer Do you believe in evolution?

Yallerhammer

Yep, and sometimes it can go too far. ;D
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff