News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

French Strain Brown Trout

Started by 5xTippett, September 05, 2008, 17:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5xTippett

Last fall while coming home from Martinsville (a 3 1/2 Hour drive) I was thinking about the different strains of brown trout introduced into the US.   It is amazing what you can think about in that period of time by yourself with nothing on the radio. Our brown trout are primarily a mixture of German, Scottish, with a mixture of English stock for good measure.  I actually looked this up in several different sources.  I noticed that our browns have no French blood at all.  It can't be because of geography, because France is smack dab between Germany and Britain.  You can certainly get to France from Britain without too much trouble (look up Crecy and Agincourt in a history book).  You can also get from Germany to France without even slowing down at the border(look up WWII in a history book).  I decided that there must be sporting or safety reasons our early fish breeders omitted French genes from our stock.  I thought of close to a dozen before I got home.  I am not going to do all the work here, but I'll start it off.

1)  Safety reasons.  Can you imagine wading the SoHo with 5 pound brown trout trying to jump in your net that is strapped to your back.

2)  Nobody wants to catch fish that smell like garlic and have pencil thin moustaches.

Your turn.

Fire-Fly

They would all be females, arent all French pussies.

Oldman

No they ar'nt! They are called pu'suays. As in, "does your pu'suay hurt?"

5xTippett

I will count Firefly's post as reason #3.(Not bad BJ)
4)  Snail flies too hard to tie.

Have at it.

Al

I think some of those Smith River Browns may be French because they either turn their backs or ignore you unless you get the language down pat.

22midge

Al you might be right about the Smith River browns because as soon as the fight begins they turn and run just as hard as they can..... ;D
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

cmiller51h

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me."
---General George S. Patton
"Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way" GEN George S. Patton, 3rd Armor Commander

cmiller51h

What is the French battle flag? A: It is three white fleur-de-lies on a white background. :o
"Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way" GEN George S. Patton, 3rd Armor Commander

cmiller51h

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
French tanks have 6 gears, 5 reverse and 1 forward. The forward gear exists in case they are attacked from behind

cmiller51h

Q: What's the difference between a Frenchwoman and a werewolf?
A. The Frenchwoman is not quite as hairy but the werewolf smells better.

rockroller

Funny timing.  Just this weekend I was at a friend's house thumbing through her book on the mountains near her home in south-central France.  There was a section on the fishing and a picture of a full creel.  Half were browns.  BUT, no doubt about it, half were brooks!  So maybe we don't have any of their browns, but it looks like they've managed to get some of our natives!  I've since confirmed through several sources that indeed, brookies are introduced to France.

OK, that's kind of off-topic....

5xTippett

The flag reply reminded me of another reason we don't have their strain of browns over here.
5)  Nobody wants to fish for browns who swim up and surrender while you are still on the bank rigging up.

By the way Mr. Miller, for Heavens sake don't quit with your jokes now!

jamisjockey

6) they are easy to spot, as they carry white flags in thier mouth
7) you can only catch them with stinky, moldy ass cheese
-JD

I hated hipsters before it was mainstream

cmiller51h

FOR SALE: 1 french military rifle. Never shot, only dropped once! CHEAP!