News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

warm water wading

Started by badankles, June 10, 2007, 22:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badankles

got to go to my favorite little river for warm water fun today.  i rescued a fellow fly fisher a couple months ago, he couldn't hail his girlfriend after borrowing my cell phone and didn't feel like paddling back up river, so i gave him a ride back to his car, who suggested a new section of the river to try.  so decided to head there today.  it was as he said, quiet and lots of nice holes.

it's still a small river, so big fish are not common but they are in there.  lots of red breasted breams, chubs, roanoke and LM bass.  pictured are the two biggest shellcrakers i've caught anywhere, actually.  they both took my favorite #10 sneaky pete.  when the first one rolled on it, i thought he was a LM that didn't want to dance.  the second was icing on the cake.

on my way out, i met a young man who just picked up fly fishing.  poor guy had a little #14 black ant (tied with looked to be a double over hand knot) on five foot of 8# test mono as his leader.  i gave him a couple feet of 4x tippet, showed him the surgeon's and the figure eight knots and pointed him to a nice open area of bedding bluegills. i am by no means an expert or even mediocre at this, but it sure felt good.

hope to see him again next time out.
when's a newbie no longer a newbie...

Gofisher

Nice of ya to help the lad out. Thanks for the report.
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

lepomis_mcro

excellent crackers... when are the gar a biting?
(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

badankles

Quote from: lepomis_mcro on June 11, 2007, 19:46:46 PM
excellent crackers... when are the gar a biting?

they are biting, i'm just not sure i want to hook into one again.   :o
when's a newbie no longer a newbie...