Simms offering bootfoot G3 waders for 2014.

Started by The Dude, November 25, 2013, 12:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRaker

I would heavily warn against bootfoot if unless you're only fishing occasionally or for short periods at a time. I have never had a good experience with anything bootfoot and would suggest that you guys rent them and try them on a trip before buying. Just my opinion.

The Dude

Quote from: The Dude on December 26, 2013, 11:29:19 AM
Quote from: The Dude on November 25, 2013, 12:49:35 PM
Ultimate Blueliner?

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

http://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/footwear/vapor-boot.html

I have a review on these boots from a recent fishing trip, if anybody cares.  I took them out of the box, laced them up, put in the studs and the first time I put them on my feet was in the parking lot before a 5 mile hike-in fishing trip.  I have to say they performed admirably.  I was replacing a pair of Rivershed boots that had been the closest thing I could find to a durable boot that could handle a lot of hiking and abuse, as well as trips with the weight of a backpack.  The Riversheds did a great job for me, but were a tad on the heavy side, but I was willing to take on the weight as a tradeoff for the stability when used as a hiking boot.
So, out come the Vapor Boots and I decide to give them a try.  They were several ounces lighter than the Riversheds and they were marketed as removing weight in the sole so as to allow for a softer sole and therefore more a better connection ("feel") between your foot and the stream to aid in wading (they call it prioperception).  The weight was certainly removed, but there was no increase of "feel" transmitted to my feet over the previous rubber sole technology.  You still need felt soles for that.  However, as a hybrid hiker, soft soles would make my feet tired, so I didn't really want that anyway.  In the water (provided I use the studs/cleats), I had no problems and they were no different than the Riversheds (my feet may have been a tad bit colder, but that is hard to say).  On the trail they were much improved with better grip/traction which led to a faster pace.  I could really notice the difference on the ball of my foot when I pushed off before taking the next step.  That is where the old boots (and felt soles, especially) tend to slip and would require more effort than these.  After 10 miles, I got back to the car and my feet had no blisters, hot spots, cramps, sore spots, etc.  That is pretty crazy for a pair of hiking boots right out of the box and never broken in - and unheard of for wading boots.
All in all, I am a fan, but they aren't any different as far as wading goes - all of the benefit is in the trail aspect.  Most boots would only last me one year.  The Riversheds were the first to last 2 years.  I am hoping that the Vapors have the same kind of durability.  If so, then they will be my boot of choice (and they are $10 cheaper), but anything less than two years out of them and I will not be getting them for my next pair.
But, as far as the new Simms boots offering the "Prioperception", it is just a marketing ploy and does not exist in real life.  Still, it isn't any worse than the other rubber sole boots, but they are lighter, FWIW.

Update on the Simms Vapor Boots if anyone cares:

They are comfortable and I get all of the traction that I need......but they are not built to last.  I've had mine since Xmas and they are already beginning to fall apart.  I'll be returning them shortly.  Simms will give me a new pair for free, I'm sure, but they'll probably just last me another 6-8 months.  Simms is losing a customer with their bootwear products.  I think I'll be heading back to Chota eventually.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Michael Toris

I have a pair of old Freestone boots and they seem to be bomb proof. I look for full leather/pleather uppers. Hiking boots are the same for me. Those synthetic stitched cordura (spelling?) Uppers seem to fall apart fast

RiverbumCO

My real name is Chad Farthouse.

benben reincarnated

Quote from: The Dude on May 20, 2014, 09:19:44 AM
Update on the Simms Vapor Boots if anyone cares:

They are comfortable and I get all of the traction that I need......but they are not built to last.  I've had mine since Xmas and they are already beginning to fall apart.  I'll be returning them shortly.  Simms will give me a new pair for free, I'm sure, but they'll probably just last me another 6-8 months.  Simms is losing a customer with their bootwear products.  I think I'll be heading back to Chota eventually.

two words...gorilla glue.

Aka

Quote from: wildmttrout on May 20, 2014, 09:23:25 AM
I have a pair of old Freestone boots and they seem to be bomb proof. I look for full leather/pleather uppers. Hiking boots are the same for me. Those synthetic stitched cordura (spelling?) Uppers seem to fall apart fast

X's 2 on the freestones. I wore the hell out of mine (150+ days a yr x's 2 yrs... Ya, unemployed, and missing it). I got a pair of riversheds to replace them when they finely wore out and they started falling apart in under a year.

troutrus

Several applications where I prefer bootfoot. Cold water. Surf fishing for two reasons, sand in stocking foot boots all day gets old, and the ability to quickly slip out of bootfoots should you happen to get sucked out by the undertow. Muckbank fishing for the same reasons as the surf. Imagine being alone with both feet sinking into the muck and no way to slip out of the boots.

Peddler

Quote from: troutrus on May 20, 2014, 20:40:06 PM
Several applications where I prefer bootfoot. Cold water. Surf fishing for two reasons, sand in stocking foot boots all day gets old, and the ability to quickly slip out of bootfoots should you happen to get sucked out by the undertow.
Yup.
Quote from: troutrus on May 20, 2014, 20:40:06 PM[/size][size=78%]Muckbank fishing for the same reasons as the surf. Imagine being alone with both feet sinking into the muck and no way to slip out of the boots.[/size]
Yup again. They are very good in sloppy banks and muck but I'm lucky enough that I never really got worried while wearing them. Now bootfoots? I have had to hunt in the muck to find them when they got sucked off me.
Again, bootfoots are great for quick little trips into the water when you are really doing something else. In my case it was working. No they don't have ankle support or the fit of regular wading boots but if you understand their limitations they do the job.
My most used waders are old Simms stocking foot Guide Pants. The second most used are stocking foot Cloudveil chest high waders. I wish they still made them as they have great features and fit nicely.
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.