News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

2015 Warm Water

Started by Big J, January 01, 2015, 18:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

Damn good species choice there for lunch there. 

In another life, I shall try to be more like you.  I seem to be lacking the capability of pausing a moment to enjoy life.

Woolly Bugger

After seeing a South Fork TR on Instagram, I took a quick look at he gauge and headed on up to the newly opened Farmers Fishcamp Bridge. Nice job they did but they coulda put in some boat access.

Well the river was heavily stained by the recent rain and in three hours I only got one to hit the surface, so I bailed and stopped to take a few pics on the way home.Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

themidge

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on August 25, 2015, 17:10:28 PM
After seeing a South Fork TR on Instagram, I took a quick look at he gauge and headed on up to the newly opened Farmers Fishcamp Bridge. Nice job they did but they coulda put in some boat access.

Well the river was heavily stained by the recent rain and in three hours I only got one to hit the surface, so I bailed and stopped to take a few pics on the way home.Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

That's real work right there folks. Curing tobacco....I live as far north in VA as you can grow tobacco, so it dwindles away as time and generations take over. I worked the tobacco fields, my Dad made me (I'm 26 yo) so I would know what "real work" is, because our cattle farm wasn't "real work". Fond memories looking back, as a middle schooler learning life lessons entirely too soon from a H1B1 Mexican in the 92 degree Southside VA heat.... Thanks for the picture, Woolly. White collar DC folks wouldn't know what hit them if they had to work like that.

Woolly Bugger

FGuests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

River shot. 
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

benben reincarnated

Quote from: themidge on August 25, 2015, 18:42:28 PM

That's real work right there folks. Curing tobacco....I live as far north in VA as you can grow tobacco, so it dwindles away as time and generations take over. I worked the tobacco fields, my Dad made me (I'm 26 yo) so I would know what "real work" is, because our cattle farm wasn't "real work". Fond memories looking back, as a middle schooler learning life lessons entirely too soon from a H1B1 Mexican in the 92 degree Southside VA heat.... Thanks for the picture, Woolly. White collar DC folks wouldn't know what hit them if they had to work like that.

I worked in a cotton mill in west central GA as a teenager for two summers.  That shit was rough.  I'd recommend all parents make their kids do that. 

bmadd

Cotton mill? I worked at a gin during high school and college. Nothing could have helped me get my degree more

Dougfish

I'm more of a vodka man.

To continue the testosterone theme, my first job was filling a 12" square plywood box bin with builders sand and dumping it into a mixer for potting soil production. Full summer sun. All. Day. Long.
16 years old. The promise of beer, gasoline, 8 track tapes and a chance for pussy encouraged such endeavors.

Yallerhammer

I grew up on a mountain farm growing burley tobacco, it's grueling work almost all year to get a crop of baccer. I don't miss it at all.

Doug, I remember feeling high-class when I got me a cassette converter that plugged into the 8-track player in my '70 Ford pickup.  ;D
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

benben reincarnated

I worked mostly in this room called the carding room.  The cotton would come off the train in the rail-yard on the floor above, run through a debailer, then feed down vertically into these carding machines.  These machines would take the dirty cotton, clean it, and spool it up into workable material to be further spun down into thread.  My job was to take these machines apart, which were the size of a family sedan and clean them.  You would be covered in dirt and cotton husk to the point you were completely brown.  We did this on weekends during shutdown which was done every week.  They'd also shut down the a/c during this time to clean out the filter houses (yes the air filters were the size of houses), so needless to say it would get hot AF in there.  I made about twice they money per hour out of all my friends though so at the time I felt like it was a baller job. 

This mill burned down a few years ago.  I remember the gorgeous heart pine floors that were in it, a shame to have them lost like that.

Dougfish

Quote from: Yallerhammer on August 26, 2015, 06:45:04 AM
Doug, I remember feeling high-class when I got me a cassette converter that plugged into the 8-track player in my '70 Ford pickup.  ;D

I up-graded to one of them at some point, too.
65 Dodge Dart GT. Styling.

Ben, that sounds delightful.  n!n

flatlander

Ha...you guys are pussies!  Railroad construction kicked my ass when I was a kid.  There isn't anything in that business that weighs less than 200 lbs and you go home every day soaked in creosote. 

Aka

16-18 hour days throwing a harpoon, shooting 200+ pound halibut in the face with a 410 and pulling them over the rail. Made $285 on my best day and I was 16.

flatlander

Quote from: AKAaron on August 26, 2015, 07:25:51 AM
16-18 hour days throwing a harpoon, shooting 200+ pound halibut in the face with a 410 and pulling them over the rail. Made $285 on my best day and I was 16.

That actually sounds more like an adventure than work.

benben reincarnated

We should talk about now what gun would be better than a .410 for a shooting a halibut in the noggin.

Aka

Quote from: Flatlander on August 26, 2015, 07:31:47 AM
Quote from: AKAaron on August 26, 2015, 07:25:51 AM

That actually sounds more like an adventure than work.

Cap'n shot one that went over 285lbs off the line before I had a chance to harpoon it. We were in a 4-6 foot rolling swell and the fish started to drift off. I reached back, aimed and threw the 'poon. The dart buried into it's head and right then it came alive. I was left holding a 1/2" manila line with a 285lb halibut tail walking at the side of the boat. One of the coolest things I've seen.