News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

2015 Warm Water

Started by Big J, January 01, 2015, 18:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yallerhammer

Backyard pre-breakfast fishing:

Got a river that I can almost throw a rock into from the end of my driveway, but don't fish it nearly often enough any more. Plenty of smallies, redbreast, and rock bass in there and a bit of this and that otherwise: carp, a few channel and flathead cats, an occasional trout and largemouth or spot.

Headed out right after daylight. Saw a couple hen turkeys with some half-grown poults on the way down to the river:

Got in the water and almost stepped on a good-sized snapping turtle, that would not have been pleasant:

Worked my way up the river throwing some hideous half-assed Stealth Bombers and Wiggle Minners that I tied up one night when I was drunk, and they Tore. That. Shit. Up. I was getting a fish on almost every cast for a good while, lost count. Mostly dinks, but also a good supply of the standard one-pounders that jump like crazy and put a good bend in a little 3-weight rod. I think that wiggle minner is my new favorite warm-water fly, and I would almost bet that Leroy will eat that shit, too.

Also caught several of these scrappy little guys:

Summer Phlox was blooming all along the riverbank:

When the fog burned off and the sun hit the water, the skinny-water bite was suddenly and completely over. Poof. I tied on a big weighted articulated wad of marabou, hair, flash, rubber legs, and feathers and chunked it into the deeper holes on the way back down. In the first deep, still hole under a rock ledge, something grabbed it, bent my little rod double, and about yanked it out of my hand. Drag was screaming like crazy. Then it was gone. Only had it on a few seconds, never saw what it was, but it was B.I.G. The last deep hole I fished, another big fish grabbed the streamer and broke my leader when I tried to turn it away from a log in the water. Never saw it either. But I know where both you bitches live now, I'll be back. Soon.

Not a bad morning backyard fishing at all, and I was back home in time for breakfast.

Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Dougfish

Ain't nothing wrong with that, Yammer.  'c;

DRIFTS

I been learning new software program at work...I got to get out
l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

Big J

Quote from: DRIFTS on August 10, 2015, 05:20:22 AM
I been learning new software program at work...I got to get out

I wish I could be a fly on the wall to see how that is going  :laugh:

Grannyknot

Quote from: Transylwader on August 07, 2015, 20:43:08 PM

[/URL]
Spent the past 48 hours in the thinking tank and realizing I should be high.
High up and high as fuck.
Coming to a brook trout stream tomorrow.
Stripsets for errbudday
Later fukkos

I see your Soundgarden Superunknown playing there.
Still kicks ass 20 years later.
'c; 'c; 'c;
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Transylwader

Good shit Hammertime.
BTW, what camera you running? Im in the market for a new point n shoot.

As unlucky I have been as of late breaking shit n what not, I simply do not have the balls to take my DSLR on a crick (yet)
Cory, the Seattle super seven are elemental. That music is all but lost. Nowadays I can barely stand listening to the radio with shit like Mumford and Cunts etc. My gawd... b';

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Transylwader on August 10, 2015, 11:21:59 AM
Good shit Hammertime.
BTW, what camera you running? Im in the market for a new point n shoot.

Just an old battered Canon S21S. Don't know if they still make them, but I love it for a point and shoot. I won't carry a DSLR out in the creek either, too lazy to carry one much of anywhere these days, but the Canon is not too big or heavy, and has a 12x optical zoom and image stabilization, so it's pretty versatile. I've actually probably got a hundred published magazine photos that were shot with that old thing. I need to remember to set my ISO up for low-light fishing pics, though, I think it's prolly still on 100 or some such.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

DRIFTS

Got some late nite bass!
l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

JMiller

I got a new kayak the other day. First time out went after some carps. I got two.

New boat:

Got caught in the rain, hid under a bridge:

First fish in the new boat. Took me forever to land it. When I reached back for my net, it was gone.

Second one, had to land from shore.

What a fatty.

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Sweet!

Hate ya lost yer net
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

JMiller

Well, yeah, losing the net sucked. Was just a $20 Frabill but it had been good to me.
Kind of need a bigger one anyway. 
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

Transylwader

Fuckin' carpin' bastards! Excellence.

Jfey

Quote from: Transylwader on August 18, 2015, 14:58:32 PM
Fuckin' carpin' bastards! Excellence.

I agree.  The new ride looks sweet. How was fishing out of it?  Could you stand in or was the seat high enough?
Yup, going fishing

JMiller

I've been using a Native Ultimate 12 the last couple years, but never really fell in love with it.
I dig the Coosa so far. I can definitely stand and cast in it, as you have to for carp anyway, but the seat sits up so high it's no problem sitting and casting at blowdowns for bass or whatever.

Anyway, tomorrow Im taking it out on some moving water. Will report back.

― Charles Bukowski

themidge

Quote from: JMiller on August 18, 2015, 14:49:21 PM
Well, yeah, losing the net sucked. Was just a $20 Frabill but it had been good to me.
Kind of need a bigger one anyway.

^^ I like your optimism.