December drys and Scotch

Started by troutphisher, December 30, 2009, 20:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

I fished a stream in the mountains of western NC today with BKats, and Glassfisher. It was a frigid start at 8:00am, with air temps at 25 degs, and water temps right at 38 degs. The water was running high and gin clear, making it challenging, but fun.

We fought ice in the guides all morning, but had a blast catching rainbows and browns on midges, and Ptn's. The fishing was a little slow in the am, but picked up once the sun broke through the gorge. Bkatz got into two really nice fish, one big rainbow and one big brown, both on a ptn flash back.

A little later in the afternoon we moved up river to get back into the sun shine and a few degrees warmer temps. I fished a spot with  slow deep run, and notice some fish rising to midges. There was a good bwo hatch on, but for the most part the fish ignored the larger size bwo's and keyed in on the midges.

I cast a size 22 midge emerger just upstream of where the fish was rising, and let the fly drift through the seam, and the fish came up hard on the fly, but missed.
I immediately cast again, this time a Little farther up stream so I could work the drift back down and pull the fly into the same spot. The fish came up again and this time a clean take. It was a nice brown that put up a good fight, dogging the bottom and trying to scrape the fly out if its jaw.

I fought the fish into the slow water and netted it. I used a new(old) reel a CFO 123  click pawl, spooled with WF4 Cortland sylk, and the reel performed perfectly, letting the fish make several hard runs and protecting the 6x tippet.

I spent the rest of the afternoon, having a blast catching bow and browns, on drys.

At the end of the day, we drank a few beers, and finished off with smooth scotch..........

Here are some picks of the day.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

rjs123

Beautiful looking fish!!!!  0--0

ASUfisherman

Fished up there today too.  First time I have fished this water.  Spent a lot of the day walking and exploring the river.  Most of my fish today came on olive emergers.  Always fun catching risers when there is snow on the ground.  Not as much luck nymphing... not tryin' to sound like Woodrow though... 

Looking forward to getting back soon.

Guitars, Whiskey, Guns, and Knives

CR

Nice trouts and great report as always- I really need to get out to fish,  reports of browns caught on top in the dead of winter is not helping me with this at all.

"I Feel God In This Chili's Tonight"

Woolly Bugger

you suck, and who brought the Scotch?
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

The sommelier brought the booze.....
And he has good taste........
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Trout Maharishi

Ya'll suck for sure. It's a no go for me, sleet and freezing ran followed by a couple clear days with windchilds in the 20's for highs make it a unlikely, unless one of you build a casting platform and a fire ;D
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

benflyfishn

man you guys are killing me.......total suckage!  0--0 

I need to get back over there.
What happens on the stream, stays there..........

leakywaders

man thats making me really want to fish.  i got the itch something awful, but all the water around its way up and pretty nasty looking what with all the runoff from the overly-salted roads.  but you all are atleast letting me fish vicariously through your stories and photos.  thanks, and keep the stories coming you lucky SOBs

glassfisher

Beer, the cause of and solution to all life's problems.

blue ridge angler

those are some quality fish... ;hb

Trout Maharishi

Suck Tards! I'm not crazy about Scotch, but I tend to like the Spey region ones the best 0--0
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

adamsdadd

Nice report as always. Wassup Katz!?  No invite?!  I'm crushed! 0--0
"We're making memories here.....shut the hell up!"......Chris Smith

BKatz

Awesome day no doubt!  Always a pleasure fishing with Mike and Karl.   The Scotch was great but the beers went down just as good!  Attached are a few more pics.