News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Carp unlimited

Started by Woolly Bugger, May 26, 2018, 09:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BRFFF

#12 was sitting right on the bank. Drag and drop the fly and he took it! Ran 15 yards and I put some pressure on him and the knot gave way! Crap! I just tied that fly on, I guess I didn't seat the knot properly or missed a turn! That was likely my one shot of the day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRFFF

Well I went back down to the pond in the afternoon only to find The Legend out stalking my carp. He even managed to find one on the bank and was able to dap him into submission, how he managed to land that fish is beyond me as he was in the thick wooded section at the deep end!

Maybe he'll post up a pic or two

Fin

Quote from: BRFFF on October 07, 2018, 14:05:59 PM
Well I went back down to the pond in the afternoon only to find The Legend out stalking my carp. He even managed to find one on the bank and was able to dap him into submission, how he managed to land that fish is beyond me as he was in the thick wooded section at the deep end!

Maybe he'll post up a pic or two

Spent the morning in Kernersville at the Paul J Ciener arboretum annual plant sale. After picking up a few specimens for the home garden I found myself with a few hours kill before needing to be back in Kvegas for a bornday party. What to do, what to do. I know, I'll check out the bossman's carpin hotspot. I had seen his post from the coast the day before so I figured I could sneak in and out undetected. Saw fish right away but they did not want to play. Worked my way down overgrown, wooded bank. Briars, kudzu, wisteria. Damn, Woolly can have this place! Look over the bank and right in front of me, a hungry bank sucker. Dap, eat, it's on!  Now, what. More bushwhacking I finally end up in a spot where I'm able to ease into the pond and land this big lipped beauty.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Shortly there after I'm busted by the bossman himself. Dang, this guy fishes everyday! We chatted a while before both loading up and I split for Kernersville. Thanks for sharing Keith!

dhjunkie

Woolly Bugger

note from the pond.

So I was over there the other morning and a whole crew was working on replacing an AC coil in the basement of the museum, probable 8 or 9 guys total, when they saw me they asked if there were fish in the pond. They got to work and I went looking for fish. I had a few chances but they ignored my offerings. I left after about an hour but came back for my afternoon ritual. The AC crew was finishing up and there was a local rigging up his bait and bobber at one end while I chased after a few deep tailers. Then the mom and her son showed up, this kid looks to be 5 years old, and they have recently switched to using corn for bait. I look over to the far end of the pond and I see that the work crew is gathered at the edge of the water and one of the guys has attached a line to a long tree branch while another is turning over rocks looking for worms. My time is up and I have to leave so as I'm walking by I stop and talk to everybody. The mom says her son loves fishing and catching and the little boy has to tell me all about the little bluegill he has caught. I ask if he is unhooking them, and mom pipes up that she's trying to teach him but right now they are grabbing the fish with an old t-shirt. I explain to her how to grab and hold them without getting stuck by the anal and dorsal fin spines. Then I talk to the crew and they said they were waiting of the bossman to sign off on there work and if they had known there were fish in the pond they would have brought their rods....

till next time....

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

BRFFF

Pond is up almost a foot and the water is still quite muddy. Almost impossible to see fish. There was one with its nose to the bank but it didn't like the fly and took off. I spied another in between  the trees at the shallow end, tried it dap the fly but it moved out of range. A bow and arrow cast put the fly about 18 inches in front of its face. I watched as the green mop fly sank losing sight of is as the turbine water obscured it. I saw the fish move towards it and then felt the take as it raced 40 feet across the pond. The trees were blocking me from putting the rod to the fish and it circled back to the overhanging scrubs at the head of the pond there was little I could do to keep it out of the snags. It didn't end well. So it goes.

BRFFF

The cold snap has chilled and cleared the pond waters, visibility is at a peak but unfortunately only one inaccessible fish was spotted during today's visit.

BRFFF

At first I didn't think I was going to have a shot at a carp. They just weren't showing themselves. I had walked the bank for about an hour and was getting ready to leave when I saw two tailing out about 20 feet. The one on the left was moving out of range and I cast to it with a sidearm cast that pit the fly about four feet out in front and a bit to the left. I was getting ready to cast again but the fish noticed the fly and turned towards it as it sank to the bottom. It approached painfully slow and then just as I was getting ready to set the hook it twitched and turned away.

The other tailer spooked and swam to deeper water. A bit later I had a couple of other shots that involved awakened cast and eventually spooked fish.

I cruiser out about forty feet was doing crazy Ivan's and ignored the fly despite it being inches from its face.

Next I saw a pod cavorting on the far side. I tried to pick off the ones in the outside but they spooked on the line flying overhead.

itieuglyflies

" a pod of cavorting carps" ......sounds like Woolly is spending way too much time at the ole pond.

Like the photo.

Phil

BRFFF

Kissing carp? Today I made two circles around the pond, on the far side I saw a group of 6 to 8 in a circle with their mouths almost touching as the glooped on the surface. I cast hoping to drop the fly into one of the open mouths. But as soon as the fly hit the water they exploded off in every direction. Later one jumped and I saw it cruising away and made a cast but it was ignored.

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

BRFFF

Well carp season on he pond might be officially over. The long shadows and low sun make it very difficult to see the fish and today by the time I spied a cruiser and got ready to cast the fish had moved into the darkness of the shadows a desperate cast was fired off but was intercepted by a carp blockerGuests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

jwgnc

Carp in a pin-striped suit
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

streamereater_101691

dang boss, personal vendetta to catch every carp in that pond?  a trout rod is going to be quite a change based on your latest adventures