News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Carp unlimited

Started by Woolly Bugger, May 26, 2018, 09:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BRFFF

I had a shot at at least a dozen of those mfing carp today, most were small but several were huge — they are back feeding on the bank — just vary wary and they had zero interest in my fly. I had a couple of heart pounding moment where I thought a fish was on the fly — so damn close — I should find a new hobby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woolly Bugger

Actually got one of those sucker to hit a cicada pattern. got a chubby and trout set....  n!n

they were out an about clooping around mostly at 80 - 120 feet... few came in to 40 - 60 ... only had 45 minutes....

<-;:
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

itieuglyflies

Since you visit and harass these poor carps what seems like daily, you may want to change your approach. Don't be their enemy, be their friend.( let's face, you have moved to the dark side already). Each day as you are ready to leave, you need to let these carps know that you want to be their friend. Just leave them a nice treat of nice yellow kernels, perhaps some breakfast cereal. If you do this on a regular basis, pretty soon those elusive bugle mouths will greet you and happily take your best imitation.......may I suggest a #10 Green Giant.

BRFFF

Quote from: itieuglyflies on August 20, 2018, 20:01:52 PM
Since you visit and harass these poor carps what seems like daily, you may want to change your approach. Don't be their enemy, be their friend.( let's face, you have moved to the dark side already). Each day as you are ready to leave, you need to let these carps know that you want to be their friend. Just leave them a nice treat of nice yellow kernels, perhaps some breakfast cereal. If you do this on a regular basis, pretty soon those elusive bugle mouths will greet you and happily take your best imitation.......may I suggest a #10 Green Giant.

Don't think I haven't though about it!

BRFFF

Got one to eat on the surface this morning on a cicada. But as he turned and ran the hook popped out — almost more frustrating than not hooking em! The rest of the cruisers were 80 - 120 feet out and I didn't have any luck with them

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Woolly Bugger

I've had another eat on the cicada pattern. but that is a rare thing these days and hardly any of them are feeding on the surface. The bottom feeders haven't been too cooperative either. The other day I had my coffee (free Senior Coffee from Chic-fil-a) while listening to a pair of hawks calling ...

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

BRFFF

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Number 9 (3rd mirror) was a fast cruiser at about 60 feet... ignored the first cast, swam right under the fly (cicada), second cast 8 feet out in front, it swam by a little on the outside then turned around and came back to eat the fly!

Phil

Snarfin' the carps! WTG, Woolly.  'c;

itieuglyflies

I remember a time when Woolly fished for trout......perhaps it's time for a new name? Doughball,Carpfish,Fuktrout?

BRFFF

Quote from: itieuglyflies on September 01, 2018, 11:42:28 AM
I remember a time when Woolly fished for trout......perhaps it's time for a new name? Doughball,Carpfish,Fuktrout?

#anybodycancatchtrout

Al

For all you folks who are trying to figure out this carp fishing we might be able to shorten your learning curve ...................

Smith River Trout Unlimited (SRTU) will host a meeting Thursday, September 6, 2018,  6:30 p.m., at Rania's Restaurant, 147 Main St, Martinsville VA . Local carp fishing "legend" Neil Tatum will give a presentation on how to entice and catch these huge but very spooky fish with a fly rod.

You do not have to be a member of TU to attend our meetings.   Anyone who has an interest in the Smith River Fishery or surrounding waters is encouraged to attend. Chapter leaders will also discuss recent events relevant to local waters and upcoming events for the remainder of the year.

Meetings also feature a "swap shop"  set up in the back of the room. Bring what you want to sell or trade. Slap your name and a price on it and recycle the stuff you don't use or need. Look around for those "it was a good idea at the time" purchases you made but now reside in the back of your closet or garage. We always have several  items ready for new owners.  Be ready to haggle. Bring some extra cash and walk away with some neat "I need one of those" items!

While we have your attention – please save Saturday, Sept 15th for our fall SRTU clean up.  We'll meet at the Trent Hill Canoe Ramp (behind old chair factory) @ 8:30am and fan out from there. Details will be sent out in separate email.

BRFFF

I'll be there — these bastard carp are driving me mad.

So far I've spent:

$69 new stripping basket
$39 new fly line (Sierra Trading Post)
$29 new boat net

Not to mention fly tying stuff

NCsporksman

Fin is the carp goat... I got to do Scout stuff with the kid Thursday. Thanks for making me regret becoming a father Neil

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

itieuglyflies

Woolly- like I said before, had you spent only $10 or so on a few cans of Green Giant you would not be moaning and groaning about how difficult these
big minnows are to catch. One small card of yellow chenille and you could even match the hatch! Cast on my friend.

Fin

QuoteSmith River Trout Unlimited (SRTU) will host a meeting Thursday, September 6, 2018,  6:30 p.m., at Rania's Restaurant, 147 Main St, Martinsville VA . Local carp fishing "legend" Neil Tatum will give a presentation on how to entice and catch these huge but very spooky fish with a fly rod.

This sounds interesting.  Wished I could make it.   /'/