As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Carp unlimited

Started by Woolly Bugger, May 26, 2018, 09:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 21, 2018, 22:04:36 PM
Quote from: itieuglyflies on June 21, 2018, 08:27:24 AM
You boys just keep on working and sending in money to the Feds each month......us retired guys appreciate it.

I sent 55 Wonga off to Redington.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to do the same today. How lucky we are.

Woolly Bugger

Casting with the 10wt tfo with a Sage 3210 reel I hooked one in the lips and it tore across the pond.i decided that I needed a little more drag, three clicks tighter and there 13 lb tippet broke. My bad! One click at a time from now on!

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Phil

13 pound tippet broke? Dayum, Woolly. You be hookin some monster carpage.  :o

itieuglyflies

Bad knots or bad line......I don't think you can't pull 13 lbs with that rod  unless it is pointed at the fish. Hook a scale to your rod and try.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: itieuglyflies on June 23, 2018, 18:41:07 PM
Bad knots or bad line......I don't think you can't pull 13 lbs with that rod  unless it is pointed at the fish. Hook a scale to your rod and try.

Running like a freight train. Not much of an angle on the rod because of trees and shrubs. Those three clicks on the drag really tightened it up— jis sayin

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

streamereater_101691

Check your drag for smashed washers if its a disc drag reel. I always try to loosen it after every trip so as to not put any flat spots in the disc. That can cause uneven pressure and pop the line like a twig.

Michael Toris

Saw my backing today beeteedubs

Fin

Woolly Bugger

Speaking of backing, today I went to the pond for a half hour and blew a couple of shots, then just before I left I spied a fish working the bottom voraciously about 2/3 across the pond. Probably beyond my casting ability I thought but what the heck! Nice cast landed a couple of feet in front of and beyond the fish. I waited as the fly sank and then boom the fish took the fly and ran the rest of the way across the pond and down the far shore. Gained on the fish and after several more runs got it to shore where I was going to beach it for a photo, well the mirror carp went berserk as I grabbed the leader and the hook broke. (I'll admit that I had to bend the hook back into shape after freeing it from some snags) That was also my best performing fly... caught at least 3 of the 7 carp on that fly and the mirrors appeared to have liked it.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

So damn hot down here in the flatlands. Yesterday I washed three fly lines and ordered a stripping basket as this carp fishing from the bank is taking a tole on the lines.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Linekurve with elastic belt... 65 wonga

https://www.themightyfish.com/collections/fly-fishing-accessories/products/linekurv-stripping-basket-with-wading-belt

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

I want carp fishing to be like this

Carp 243 — WB 7

me -There's a season?

Fin

I came across some "cloppers" late last summer on a small river that were rising to suck on blobs of algae floating by.  I did a quick inspection of the green snooty globs looking for midges or some other insect.  I found nothing.  I tried several beetles, hoppers, etc.  nothing.  Drove me mad...

Woolly Bugger

Notes from the pond.
It's been a while since I've hooked one of these bastard carp, bot that I haven't been stalking them almost every morning. I've had many decent shots and flubbed many more. Right now there is one working under a tree where I can't cast. I've chased after mud and shadows and learned that a snapping turtle will hit a fly.

Redington returned my rod, about three weeks time — only broke the tip but they sent a whole new rod including the tube!

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Spork said there were carp, we caught none

me -There's a season?

Onslow

Can't speak about the New, but dam stacking in rivers I know is a seasonal thing.