News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Carp unlimited

Started by Woolly Bugger, May 26, 2018, 09:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

I've been checking the pond from time to time, an hour here, an hour there! Lately I've been seeing a few of them feeding on the bank in the muddy turbulent water, it's hard to see them and impossible to see the eat. I've been carp blocked by bream and bass, and my own bad cast! But today, an overcast sunless day I managed to hook up with a mirror that was just off of the bank. I could see the mud and the swirls of disturbed detritus but it took me a few minutes to see the tail and on my second cast the carp took the fly and ran in a short hard burst of energy. I fought the fish for several minutes and then got the net ready, but the fish hand other ideas and swam back up along the bank and under cover and into treacherous waters with many submerged obstacles. I was worried as the 12lb tipping rubbed across and around limbs and branches. Fortunately it came back out of the trouble after many valiant attempts to break me off!

You cannot view this attachment.

FYI net is 20 x 24

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Well the carp are spawning. They are banging up against the bank under bushes and mudding up the pond. It's impossible to see them most of the time. I dapped at a few of them but there was no interest at all. I did see a couple feeding and fired off a shot at them again to be ignored. I spent two hours in the morning and then another two in the afternoon. The biggest carp in the pond, pushing 3 feet, and I'm guessing 30 pounds, was cruising out and about. I got a good shot at it at about 50 feet, drew the fly into its face. Boom, the fish hit the fly or leader and exploded off in the opposite direction. It reappeared and I had several more shots at this beast of a fish, but alas it swam off into the depths. Maybe tomorrow.
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Went to take a look at my carp pond to see what it looked like after all of this weather!

This large oak got blown over and I wonder how long if ever it will take the state to remove it, the roots are on a trail.

On other parts, I guess to compensate  Someone trimmed the shrubbery from under the cedar trees opening up more room to cast.

Look closely and you'll see a tailing carp

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The other morning I was at the carp pond and there were thick in the shallow end among the downed branches that litter the bottom. Silly carp ignored my fly several times before one took it and took off across the pond. The Ross reel on the six weight doesn't have as much drag stopping power power as my other reels and I ratcheted it down to help wear the fish down. I wasn't making too much progress and then it reversed course in a long arc until it got under the overhanging brush. I was sure it would break off there, but I kept the pressure on and finally got the fish in close enough to net!

Here's a pic of number five of the year!

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Spork and I went looking for carp up on the new, it was high and muddy and we saw no carp

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

I was just about to call it quits. I had been walking the bank and watching the water for an hour without seeing any activity. I was sitting on the bench sipping on the last of my now lukewarm coffee when I saw some feeding activity 50 - 60 feet out. I made my case and was denied. I sat back down for a while and then spied one in closer. It was turning this way and that and I made a good cast but by the time the fly sank the fish had turned 180 and moved off. I sat back down and watched some more. Another mud plume developed out in the middle of the pond and I cast out that way. Le the fly sink and then strip... strip... strip... Whoa! Like a shark out of the depths came a carp chasing after the fly. Don't stop stripping I thought as the fish continued to close the gap and suck in the fly. OMG! Strip set and game on. The tiny trout Ross Evolution Reel with its puny drag somehow managed to slow the fish's run out and down into the deeper part of the pond. The Sage One 6 weight was putting a lot of pressure on the fish and we got it stopped and then it arched towards the bank where I was sure it would wrap the leader around a snag and break off. The Sage enabled me to keep it out and turn it back into the open where the fight was in the last rounds and the fish was netted!

But before all of that, I went to a vinyl night at the local audiophile shop. With a top notch system that cost more than a lot of homes! Sounded fantastic...

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Dead shit.

Indian Pipe

covfefe

The goods...

me -There's a season?

dhjunkie

Big J

Nice work on the carp  V:;

Woolly Bugger

Went to the pond for the first time in a week. I only saw one feeding close to the bank, it saw me before I could get into position.

-+; Their behavior is completly different than last year. n!n

I'm not the only one chasing after carp:

Fly fishing for 'sewer salmon' in the L.A. River

QuoteAt 6 a.m. on a recent Saturday, I donned a borrowed pair of waders with a hole just above the butt, wrestled some waterproof boots over my feet and stepped into the muck of a particularly deep patch of the Los Angeles River
I came in search of Cyprinus carpio, the common carp, a.k.a. sewer salmon, mud marlin, pond pig, river rabbit, dumpster dolphin, ghetto grouper and septic steelie. If an accumulation of nicknames can be a metric for the amount of affection — however begrudging — that we humans have for a particular animal, it makes sense that the lowly carp is swimming in sobriquets.

https://www.latimes.com/food/sewer-salmon-and-the-secrets-of-the-l-a-river-story.html

and NO, I'm not going to eat pond carp.... jis say'in
me -There's a season?

Dougfish

I dub thee Ghetto Grouper.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

Monday morning, a break from the heat, its in the 70s and overcast. I grab a bagel and a cup of coffee at Camino bakery and then decide to check out the pond for carp activity. I cut the leader off at the 4x and tied on some 15 lb mono and then one of my carp flies.
As I walked the edge of the pond I spotted some mud plumes about 12 feet off the bank and as peered into the stained water I could make out the tails of several carp.. Stripping off a bit of line I made cast after cast to them only to have my fly ignored and eventually they were spooked, but there were more opportunities but again time after time they ignored my offering the only fly that I had with me.
I checked out the other spots at the pond and there they were feeding 20 to 30 feet out but in difficult if not impossible spots to cast to and in one attempt I got hung up in a tree and broke the fly off. Back at the car I searched for some flies and settled into a heavier chartreuse rabbit fly. I went bold and bright since they didn't notice my rusty / grizzly hackled / black fox tail fly.   
I had a few long distance shots, but they scooted away. I was just about to call it quits when a couple of them appeared to be circling into range. Dropped the fly in front of its face and it attacked it, hook set, game on! Carp number 7 from the pond this year put a good bend in the 6 wt and pulled line off the reel with the drag clamped down tight. I only took a couple of minutes to bring it to the net but it seamed much longer.

Since the carp were still feeding I stuck around and tried for number 8, but it wasn't going to happen and now it was after noon the the heat / humidity was building up and I was hungry, all good reasons to call it a day.

p.s. Neil probably would have caught 4 or 5 ... jis say'in
me -There's a season?

itieuglyflies

You are certainly persistent......good going Woolly.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: itieuglyflies on July 22, 2019, 15:38:26 PMYou are certainly persistent......good going Woolly.

A) it's five minutes from the house
B) I know that I can catch them eventually
C) it provides solitude
D) carp are fun
F) I ain't got anything better to do in the morning  d:b
me -There's a season?

Fin

Quotep.s. Neil probably would have caught 4 or 5 ... jis say'in

I call BS on this.  You are giving me way too much credit.  My puckered lipped friends routinely provide me with a heavy dose of humility.  Just this past weekend I came across pods of very large grass carp feeding in extremely shallow, fast, riffley water.  These herbivores are excellent at dishing out a royal ass kicking.  I left without so much as a sniff...

Woolly Bugger

d:b

Number 8 came to hand today, slimy bastard that they are. Most of what I saw was feeding too deep to see, but when this one came in shallow the strip and drop of a chartreuse mop fly was just irresistible and #8 sucked it in. Didn't have my net so landing it was a problem #dontforgetthenet

me -There's a season?