News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Bowfin on fly

Started by Transylwader, February 15, 2013, 11:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Transylwader

Well, it comes as no surprise that when you have a flyfisher who lives in shitty central that he'll sooner than later drink himself to death or think outside the box. After my morning stroll along Lassiter Mills falls, I saw two of these bastards.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I caught one in MD a few years ago when I was messing around on the Potomac around Nanjemoy catching perch on clousers and once again, they are back on my radar. Anyone else here target em or even caught them? They are legendary fish in that they are prehistoric, like Gar and Musky, changed very little in millions of years and are bad ass apex predators. Im thinking big meat.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Gonna get some Dahlberg Divers tied up today and see if I can coax one of these intrepid sumbitches.
Anyone in the raleigh area who is keen, hit up a brother. Beer on me 0:0

Big J

Bowfin are awesome.  I've caught a couple down in Florida.  Sad thing is they get killed a lot.  Either by bass fisherman who hate them or stupid people thinking they are snakeheads.  They are one heck of a fighter too.

5xTippett

The proper names for those boys is mudfish!

Jfey

Funny, I heard a rumor about a guy catching one on spin gear on this shitty creek in Charlotte.   I'll be checking it out as well.  Based on the location, I'm skeptical.  Got to take what's available!
Yup, going fishing

RiverbumCO

I wouldnt waste a good Dahlberg on one.  Conehead rabbit strip streamer in a loud color should do it.   A friend 'accidnently' caught one this summer and he still hasnt shutup about it.  Ugly bastards but the word is they can throw down.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

bullship

Quote from: Jfey on February 15, 2013, 17:38:53 PM
Funny, I heard a rumor about a guy catching one on spin gear on this shitty creek in Charlotte.   I'll be checking it out as well.  Based on the location, I'm skeptical.  Got to take what's available!

Hmmmmm.....so many shitty creeks. I'm about 90% that i'm moving back that way this spring. We should fish sometime. Oh wait....nevermind, I never get to fish. Anybody want to buy 4 botes, 17 fly poles and a million dollars in tying materials?
It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

Jfey

Quote from: bullship on February 15, 2013, 19:36:37 PM
Quote from: Jfey on February 15, 2013, 17:38:53 PM

Hmmmmm.....so many shitty creeks. I'm about 90% that i'm moving back that way this spring. We should fish sometime. Oh wait....nevermind, I never get to fish. Anybody want to buy 4 botes, 17 fly poles and a million dollars in tying materials?

No problem.  I like to drink also.
Yup, going fishing

kylemc

I'm about 90% that i'm moving back that way this spring.

I just shed a tear..... :'(

bullship

Quote from: kylemc on February 15, 2013, 21:23:43 PM
I'm about 90% that i'm moving back that way this spring.

I just shed a tear..... :'(

I am shedding many....many. It's fucking our epic carp spring/summer right up. Gonna have to go catch a buzz and a staph infection with Jeffy in a CarLot ditch. Don't forget me, Kyle. I shall return.
It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

5xTippett

Mike, PM Croaker.  I'll guarantee you he can tell you how to catch those boys on a fly.

TheYiman

These fish have been high on my list for years!  I still haven't done it, but I am going to someday.  I've done a ton of research, sounds like you've got a shot a them just about everywhere and nowhere all at the same time.  I think they are pretty scarce here in mid TN, but back home in the lowcountry, they are plentiful.  I got word about a lake near my parent's house that is loaded with them.  I must fish it next time I go home.  Best of luck to you!

overbrook

I've caught a few at Santee Cooper....fight was about the same or less than a lmb .....don't ever even think of eating one of them rotten bastards.  p;-

croaker

Trannymon,

Cypress Trout are a lot of fun and have saved more than one slow summer day fer me.

While they'll eat anything that don't eat them first...  @ 80% of their diet is other fish.

Due to the hard mouth, strong jaws and sharp little teeth they wreak havoc on flys tyed
with natural materials.  I mostly use Clousers and Homer Rhodes Tarpon fly (AKA Seaducer).  2"-6"'s
long with synthetic materials.  Easy tye to replace when they get chewed on by Cypress Trout and Jack (Chain Pickerel).

The Bowfin (and Jack) prefer slow moving or still waters.  While they will hit topwater the majority fer me have been caught on sinkin' flys.

Ifn you get down this way let me know and if I can't go fishin' I'll point you in the right direction...

Good Luck!!!

-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Transylwader

Thanks Don,
I will certainly go the route of synthetic garbage materials, heck, a gar "rope" fly may even work on them except keep the hook. I never managed to sight cast to them two buggers on Friday, but have left a 6 & 8wt in my work car so each lunchtime, I am watching out for them. I need to head south soemtime this summer to take a stab at the SC warm waters, y'all have a mecca maing -0-

OldDominionAngler

Quote from: Transylwader on February 20, 2013, 10:51:59 AM
Thanks Don,
I will certainly go the route of synthetic garbage materials, heck, a gar "rope" fly may even work on them except keep the hook. I never managed to sight cast to them two buggers on Friday, but have left a 6 & 8wt in my work car so each lunchtime, I am watching out for them. I need to head south soemtime this summer to take a stab at the SC warm waters, y'all have a mecca maing -0-

Get 'em Tranny..this'll be fun to watch.   y;