Volunteer Opportunity @ NCWRC Pechmann Center (2010 Fly Fish Clinics)

Started by Al, November 23, 2009, 09:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

For those of us who volunteer at the NCWRC John E. Pechmann Fishing Education Center, located at the site of the old Lake Rim Hatchery in Fayetteville, the cooling temperatures mean trout are about to arrive and fly fishing clinics are right on the horizon.

The trout are being scheduled to arrive on December 15th, 2009 @ 2pm.

We have scheduled three beginner clinics, one advanced clinic and the Boy Scout Merit Badge events again this year. Dates have already been locked in. All dates are on a Saturday with a start time of 9:00am and end time of 3:00pm.

Beginner Clinic
    January 9
    January 23
    February 6

Advanced Clinic
    February 20

Boy Scouts
    March 6
    March 20

Warm Water Clinic
    TBA (Probably mid-June)

All clinics are limited to the first 40 participants. Registration through Lake Rim Park (424-6134) begins on December 1, 2009. The cost is $5. Pre-registration is required. The basic clinics fill very fast so pass this information along to all of your friends.

We have said many times that we could not put these events on without the help of the volunteers. That still holds true. Most of our volunteers return year after year but some drop out for various reasons such as family obligations or relocation from the area, therefore we always welcome new folks. I hope you will consider helping out in 2010. You do not have to be an expert fly fisherman. You just need a passion for the sport and a willingness to pass that passion on to others. We normally have our new volunteers audit one of the basic clinics before assigning them to assistant instructor duty. We don't expect you to make every clinic but we would like you to commit to at least half of them. (It requires a minimum of 12 volunteers for things to run smoothly at each clinic - more are always welcome and help keep my stress level down)

The pay is not great. Lake Rim Park has promised coffee and a sausage biscuit and the NCWRC will undoubtedly send us a nice letter and some other token of their appreciation. We also have limited access to the ponds to practice our fly fishing skills during the week (sort of like having our own private delayed harvest pond). The payment that I find so rewarding are the smiles and "thanks" we receive.

In addition to the clinics listed above, the Pechmann Center is also committed to host fly fishing events for Ft Bragg's Wounded Warrior Transition Battalion and the NC Handicapped Sportsmen from 1-5pm on the 2nd Wednesday of each month starting in January 2010. (Any volunteers who are available are needed and most welcome for these special events)

If any of you might be interested in volunteering please contact me. You can't just show up without an interview, paperwork and criminal history check.

Al Kittredge
Fly Fishing Clinic Volunteer Coordinator
NCWRC Pechmann Fishing Education Center

(910) 868-6235
aakitt@earthlink.net