Gulp -- Weirdness Today

Started by Phil, June 05, 2011, 15:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil

So, I looked at the DeLorme and saw a Creek down in the Globe that I had never fished. I knew where it was, however -- on land owned by the notorious Ritch clan. Mean-ass mountain men, they are. Serious dudes.

I told my wife where I was headed. "You're crazy," she replied. "Call me if you can."

I packed the usual stuff with an extra addition. Not concealed -- worn on the hip.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

The stream was a disappointment. A few little rainbows and a brook....

I was getting to a good looking set of runs, and a loud voice said "Get the F#ck outta here, boy."
"Is that Gaither or Bob?" I asked. "This is Phil from the Woodlands. You know me. "

There was a pause, and Bob Ritch came out of the woods carrying a 30.06. Pointed at me. Pointed at my head. Needless to say, I didn't pull my .357. I was outgunned bad.

"Phil? What the Hell are you doing on my land?"
"Uhhh -- I didn't see any posted signs."
"There don't need to be no posted signs. Get on back to Blowing Rock. Now."
"Uhhh --Yessir."

I guess the rest of that stream won't be explored by me. If anyone else wants to go, I'll be glad to give you directions. :o

Big J

Don't think I'll be asking for those directions  ;D

diaz dassie

Phil, what you need is an accent. Those mountain folk don't dare fuck with me d:b

FoulHook

Been down that way a couple times as it's a nice short drive from my apartment in Boone.  Rather scary place when you see some of the houses, you just know there's plenty of guns and people willing to use them. But I haven't once seen another person around.
Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

Get Bent

You still paying on Friday nights?
Konichiwa Bitches!

Stuart R.

Nice fish. Where is it i'll give it a try!

STU
CPR Catch, Photo, Release.

benben reincarnated

Next time take your 30.-06, or better yet a win mag.

Trout Maharishi

What kind of person straps on a weapon and proceeds to what he knows is private land with the intention of trespassing and poaching? Why didn't you just go up to the house and ask permission? You need help ::)
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

5xTippett

"What kind of person straps on a weapon and proceeds to what he knows is private land with the intention of trespassing and poaching? Why didn't you just go up to the house and ask permission? You need help "  Quote by TM.   Agreed!   You left out the part about bragging about it in print.

Woolly Bugger

I was calling BS from the get go.. :P
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Phil

kylemc

Quote from: Phil on June 05, 2011, 15:46:50 PM

"Phil? What the Hell are you doing on my land?"
"Uhhh -- I didn't see any posted signs."
"There don't need to be no posted signs.

Phil

OK. I fucked up, it seems. No houses, barns etc. around. I figured that  down in a wilderness area on a public road, the streams would be posted if I wasn't allowed to fish for some wild fish. Obviously I was wrong.

I'm sure the "holy" Trout Maharishi will set me straight every time I post in the future, and 5X and Wooley will chime in.  Hey TM -- have you ever had any property issues fishing the Davidson at the campground and the hatchery area??  :P

Aka

A guy pull a pistol on me and two crew mates at Waterfall lodge in S.E. Alaska back in the mid 90's when I was still commercial fishing. We were sitting on the hook and had some time off so we took the skiff to what was just an old abandoned cannery as far as we could tell. Turns out the guy was a caretaker that had been there keeping an eye on the place until they turned it into a high-end fishing resort. He fired one shot in the air, not straight up but over our heads. I got a pretty good appreciation for private property after that.

lostnwilderness

"What kind of person straps on a weapon and proceeds to what he knows is private land with the intention of trespassing and poaching? Why didn't you just go up to the house and ask permission? You need help "  Quote by TM.   Agreed!   You left out the part about bragging about it in print." (5X)

Got to agree here man.  Sorry I dont know you but that just aint smart.  Why carry a gun on your hip trout fishing?  Sorry man just dont make sense to me.  Way to much "other" water.  Get a good map and do the research.  If you gonna poach dont go in armed.  Way easier to talk your way out of it.  They are going to get the drop on you regardless and you dont want to shoot someone or get shot over a 8 inch native.  Piss poor way to take a life or to lose yours.
"I read The Bible once. You know God and Jesus and all them apostles? They were all fishermen, just like me. Yeah, straight to heaven for Mick Dundee. Yep, me and God... We'd be mates."