News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

creakycane, Fennario and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

gamatt53

The river can be a fickle bitch - especially when the sun is up high and nothing is hatching.

This time of year it's all about the beetle and fishing early or late. Beetles on the bank early AM with mist on the river is super fun.

Al

Good report and great photos.  Did you see what I meant about not wading when they are generating full bore?

How about the kayak hatch - any of that going on?

Woolly Bugger

Despite the rec release, I went up to fish with the fanatic. We did have to spend some time counting kayaks and wait for the water to fall.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Brian standing in the stiff current swinging flies.

While I had eight strikes on the streamer, they failed to hook themselves.
So I played around with the camera settings.

still waiting for the hatch to take off.

One skunk remover!

beauty shot...

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Al

I know a lot of you wonder about what keeps pulling Woolly and the rest of us back to the Smith. Wonder no longer. Here is your chance to see that the "Smiff", as TF and several others call it, does indeed hold more brown trout then most streams within easy driving distance. The fish are there but they are not easy pickings like on "bluelines" or delayed harvest streams. Pay your dues, learn what works and what doesn't and you can puff out your chest and likely catch trout anywhere. For sure it will make you a better fisherman.

Don't forget it also holds a lot of Rainbows during stocking season.

VDGIF will conduct their annual multi-location sampling of the Smith River Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, August 11-13. This is a wading sample and requires a large crew. Volunteers are always appreciated. If you don't feel comfortable wading there are several land based tasks you can assist with. You're also welcome to just come by to observe - VDGIF Biologists welcome your questions.

Here is the projected schedule -  GPS locations are close to the actual locations.

Day 1:  August 11, 2015

1.      Meet at sampling site at 10 AM,  Yellow Stairs 36 47' 38" N by 80 01' 03 " W  (This is up the road going to the base of the dam - just before road turns to gravel)

2.      Travel to next sampling site (lunch)  Bassett Library 36 45' 45" N by 79 59' 45" W

3.      Travel to next sampling site,  Shady view Road 36 44' 15" N by 79 56' 24" W  (Site of the old church at dead end road on downstream side of 220 Bypass)

Day 2: August 12, 2015

1.      Meet at sampling site 9:00 AM, Bassett Mirror Plant 36 47' 14" N by 79 59" 51" W  (travel to the back side of the plant, through the field to the far left corner to the sampling site) sample and then have lunch (this will be a 3-pass depletion - During the 2014 sample we moved the fish collected from this site to below MV Dam so it will be interesting to see if this site replenished itself)

2.      Travel to next sampling site, Derelict Bridge 36 44' 15" N by 79 57' 26" W (Stanleytown Bridge - near CVS)

4.      Travel to next sampling site, Sewage Plant     36 41' 35" N by 79 55' 32" W

Day 3: August 13, 2015

1.      Meet at sampling site 9:00 AM, Dam site  36 47' 37" N by 80 01' 34" W  (same road as Yellow Stairs - this site is just before big pool called Lemon's Hole - steep concrete steps to small cabin on right of road/stream - During the 2014 sample we also moved the fish collected from this site to below MV Dam so it will be interesting to see if this site replenished itself)

Contact Al Kittredge email aakitt@earthlink.net or cell phone 910-624-3457 for up-to-date information as to time and location. 

Dougfish

Onslow

You've represented the Smith very well there, Brian.

Yallerhammer

Those are some nice, solid fish, especially for this time of year.  y;
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

5xTippett

Dougfish

Nice catching, Ben! Hope the generations did not mess you up.

Woolly Bugger

Beetle boy bags big browns, nice going
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Al

Nice going Ben  'c; 'c; 'c;

I was there for a little fishing on Friday and Saturday - did it below the other dam.  Still have not figured how to catch them big ones but did catch several of the ones we fin clipped during the recent sampling.  They looked healthy so no worse for wear from being transported.  Also caught several 4-5 inch fingerlings which were likely some of the 1200 they stocked down there in early spring.

5xTippett

Doug, the generation was a pain to fish around.

Al

Quote from: 5xTippett on September 02, 2015, 15:16:44 PM
Doug, the generation was a pain to fish around when you sleep in and don't get on the water until 10:30 or later in the morning.

Fixed  ;D

Woolly Bugger

As ya'll know they broke the generator(s) at the Philpott dam, so with no generation rec generation scheduled for Saturday I hit the river for a couple of hours...

Train Wrecker Mushrooms (Edible???)

Doug will know what this is???

Fall's coming!

Not the lowest in VA but mo better than NC prices!

me -There's a season?

Yallerhammer

Great pics, nice browns! The mystery plant is developing seedheads of Clematis virginiana, virgin's bower.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff