Warm Water Fly Fishing Clinic @ NCWRC Pechmann Center 6-26-10

Started by Al, June 26, 2010, 20:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

I probably don't need to tell you that it was hot today. Most likely you were smart and remained indoors. Well, some of us are not so smart and have a passion for sharing our love of fly fishing. We rounded up a group of 24 novices who were willing to listen and invited them to join us at the NCWRC John E. Pechmann Fishing Education Center located on the west side of Fayetteville NC. Our mission was to teach them the basics of fly fishing and allow them to put their new found skills to the test on our ponds which hold a variety of warm water fish. 

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

We start out in the classroom were everyone is given an orientation to our facility, an explanation of what the day will entail and a brief overview of the sport of fly fishing.

We next break out into small groups which rotate through five stations where volunteers share their expertise and put the participants through "hands-on" exercises. One of our stations is rod assembly and basic knots. 

The Pechmann Center has several interactive models and displays which serve as props for the "healthy habitat & fishing ethics" station.

We are blessed to have several good fly tiers who volunteer for these events. Some of you will recognize Anthony Hipps who has gained notoriety as a very skilled "popping bug" tying expert.

You won't have a good day of fly fishing if your casting skills are not up to par. We don't expect them to be experts by the end of the day but we do want them to know the basic overhead cast and the roll cast. Casting instruction starts with a talk and demonstration.

They then move to a nearby pond where we have fly rods, without flies attached, all laid out. They receive hands-on casting instruction under the watchful eye of one of our experienced volunteers. As we told them at the initial orientation - the way to become a good caster is practice, practice, practice. 

We always reserve the afternoon for fishing. The Center has a total of 10 ponds, most about one acre in size. A couple are drained because we are undergoing a major pond improvement project. The remaining ponds presently hold a variety of warm water fish. This fellow was one of the first to connect with a nice catfish.

Lots of bream caught today.  We also have a pond with Largemouth Bass that range in size from 3 pounds up to 8 pounds. Several were caught today when we first started fishing but I was busy handing out rods and did not get a picture.

We had several father / son teams out today. Always nice to see that. This is the smaller of many catfish I saw this young man catch.

We tried to convince this young lady to kiss her first fish but she was not having any of that.

Wheeeyooo, it was a hot one but we got through it and had a great time to boot. NCWRC provided a jug of gator-aid and also ran around the ponds with a cooler full of iced down water so we fared pretty well. Not sure about everyone else but you could wring the perspiration out of my clothes when I got home. Got to admit, I love it - it is what keeps me young.

And so ends the 2010 round of fly fishing clinics at the Pechmann Center. We held 3 Basic Clinics, an Advanced Clinic, 2 Boy Scout Merit Badge Clinics and a Warm Water Clinic. We hope we have planted the fly fishing bug in many who attended. If 10-15% go on to purchase their own equipment and use it on a regular basis we have accomplished our mission.

I can't close out the season without recognizing the great group of volunteers who make these fly fishing clinics possible. We require a minimum of 15 at each event to a make things run smoothly. Some come from the local area but many drive from +100 miles away to help out. Without their willingness to give of their time and expertise we would not be able to put on these clinics.  They let me think I am in charge but I know that without them I would be nothing.  Thank you very much guys and Jeanette - You make me look good.

The Good Lord willing we will do it again in 2011. We already have the schedule made up and will start with the first one on January 8th and then every other Saturday throughout the winter and spring. We will also continue to host Military Appreciation Day (Formerly called Wounded Warrior & NCHS) on the 2nd Wednesday of each month from 1-5pm. Our next one will be July 14th

phg

I was looking for this over on Disco's board.....

For some reason, several of the pictures I tried to take didn't come out, and with the super bright sun we had, I couldn't see the camera display well enough to realize that, until I got home and tried to put the pix. on the computer.  I did get a couple, though.

Here's Al trying to persuade the young lady to kiss the catfish.  It was a nice catfish....  Her husband was standing off to the side trying to egg her on.

Then there were the bream.  I had a new 2wt that I wanted to try out, so I but on a beetle and went after the bream.

...and a double

Later in the afternoon, actually I was just about to give it up, a dark cloud formed overhead, and the fish really turned on!   Unfortunately, I forgot all about the camera as we were hauling them in, one after another on Anthony Hipps' version of a MRE jig.  I'll be tying some up as soon as those jig hooks arrive....

It was a good year, overall.  Several times the fish didn't cooperate too well, but the staff at the Pechman Center are very supportive, and it's a great program.  I'm looking forward to helping again next season.

Al

Quote from: phg on June 29, 2010, 15:00:52 PM
I was looking for this over on Disco's board.....

I gave up trying to post things which are picture heavy over there. Here I can post and then copy the whole thing and paste on other sites. On Disco's you can't paste from another site and have to post each image one at a time. Once you get it done you can't copy to post elsewhere either. b';  Maybe there is away around it but I have not figured it out yet b';

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Al on June 29, 2010, 19:58:00 PM
Here I can post and then copy the whole thing and paste on other sites.

we do our best to make it easy....

3 ways to post yer own pics...

1. use photobucket or other hosting

2. use convenient ImageSchak upload ...

3. use additional options for direct upoading..

btw -- good job you guys are doing out there.... I'm still planning on making the trip one day... how long have I been saying that? 5 years+???

when you boys headin out to AK?
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Al

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 30, 2010, 10:18:49 AM
Quote from: Al on June 29, 2010, 19:58:00 PM
Here I can post and then copy the whole thing and paste on other sites.

when you boys headin out to AK?

Right after labor day. Going to do something different this time. Heading to the Kenai after the crowds depart and rates drop by almost half. Most of salmon will be dead or dying but we are going to target dollies and big rainbows - maybe some silvers if the 2nd run arrives on time.

black jackk

Really nice collection, even These fishing clinics target specific tactics such as tandem rigging, casting weight and indicators, presentation, mending and line management. thums up!!, ANd keep it up..