News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

It's Hot. Fishing, Not

Started by Onslow, July 03, 2017, 19:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

Summer is here, my counter top is covered with cucumbers, eggplant, peepers.  40 quarts of string beans have been put away, and I just had a supper consisting of baked chicken, strawberry pie, purple mashed potatoes, string beans, and peppers stuffed with eggplant, and jalapenos made by my wife while I was laboring in the heat trying to catch a few fish.

After defying a neck breaking route to the put in.  Roots, layers of slate, stinging nettle....

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Jim is in the pic.  He was one my accomplices

My first pune

Fishing was painfully slow, we both missed a couple

It was also hotter than hades.

Quite a few Hercules Club trees populated the river bottom.  Many large ones have recently been toppled by flooding, and possibly wind.

Obligatory hero shots

Interesting riverscapes

The take out is a 30 incline of rough terrain.  Finished off my 2 liters of water.  It was a 5 mile day.  It wouldn't have been smart to bite off a 10 mile float in this heat!

Dee-Vo

Shit. Looks fun to me. Little better than my day out.

#riverbass

Dougfish

Efforting. Hell yeah!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Dee-Vo

Dude, if there's an open seat with somebody I'd like to hit it with some of y'all some time.

Onslow

I, and a local had some rather ambitious plans for today that involved doing a nifty float in Va.  Got a call last night...."got an issue at work, have to re boot a router, and some other crap. Rains also screwed things up.  Plans went Fubar.  The sensible thing to have happened was to cancel all floats, and go trouting.  Instead, I went to Wilkes County where I thought I may find some somewhat not dingy water, and a beat that was short.

I wanted to test the feasibility of downriver floating a stream that was small, and chock full of rapids, some of which were rather large.

This river drains a good chunk of the Blue Ridge, drains 120 sq miles.

After drifting, and anchoring up in some good spots, the first horizon line shows up.  A little warm up class 2 wave train.

This place used to be patrolled heavily, and there wasn't much activity along the river.  My things have changed.  People were everywhere making noise.  We managed a few strikes, but the fishing today was awful.  Water was dingy.

The next rapid starts off with a intricate ledge with pinning rocks, followed by a snarled up rock garden.  Once again, no incident.

Finally found some quite sexy water, and the heavens opened up.  We were barely a mile into a 4 mile float.  My attitude had soured, and I just wanted to get back to the house.  The fishing sucked hind boob.  I didn't bother putting my fly rods away, and just simply barrelled down the last ledge.  Homeslice tried it, and his kayaked pitoned into an upturned ledge embedded in the drop, boat went sideways in the most dramatic manner, and rolled.  Contents went everywhere.  After gathering the goods, homeslice tried it again, and got it right.

No fish were caught, but we were mildly entertained by the rapids.

Phil

I ain't gettin' in no Kayak. Nosirree.

Dee-Vo

Still a good float. Right on.

Onslow

The trolly system for my anchor works much better than expected.  The Guide 119 also handles rapids much better than expected.  I just wish these benefits from the equipment would fatten the numbers caught.  It's very cool to anchor up in swift water, and fish seams without a care. It will take some time before I'll be able to stand in swift water, and cast.  Legs are too unsteady.