News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

So Ho - Watauga double...

Started by Woolly Bugger, October 31, 2009, 10:50:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

The plans for the Jackson River Tent Revival had to be postponed due to all of the rain and the dam being opened up to 1010 CFS!  I still had to drop my son and three of his friends off on the Appalachian Trail. That left me an hour and a half from the South Holston so I headed on down I-81. I pulled in to one of my favorite spots at 11:30 and was surprised to find the river void of fishermen.

I rigged up with a BWO and Jujubee and began working the riffles and runs.  Soon enough the bamboo was bent and the reel was singing.  I felt some time pressure as the 11 o'clock dam release would blow me off the river all too soon.

I caught 4 or 5 worthy brown and lost at least as many before the water came up and I headed over to the Watauga to finish up the day. There was no water release information available for the Watauga so I assumed that meant no generation. There were a couple of fishermen down in my spot but I had my favorite run to myself.  I fished the same rig and had a hook-up on my second cast. Four or five more came in quick succession and then it really slacked off and I began to change flies and weight.  I went fishless for quite a while before hooking up with a spirited rainbow that danced on the water.

The other fly fisherman came hiking up past me and we spoke for a while. I thought there was about an hour or more daylight left so I continued to fish for a while. Nothing else came to the net so I began working my way upstream. There were risers everywhere on the slick water, going nuts over midges. What the heck I said and proceeded to tie on a Greased Lightning emerger.  Picked out my target and cast away. Watched it rise and take the fly. Hey, this is going to be easy! NOT! Quickly went down the road called frustration. The homebrew was calling and I hit the trail.

Just after I poured myself a Smoked Porter, the alarm on the dam went off.

Whoop, Whoop, Whoop.  Fishermen can off the river after about five minutes the flood gates opened! Damn glad I got out from down below!

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Rhody

great quality pics-you suck

what type of bwo were you using-dry or emerger
i just tied up some jujus and trying to figure out the best strategy-behind emerger bwos or drys?

thanks
rhody

My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

DarkstarCrashes

Very nice. Those rivers sure do produce some good looking fish.

Aint no browns that big in the Jackson.  :-X I just got permission for another spot up there, I'll be up next weekend as long as it's under 300 cfs.

troutphisher

Mooooooch-o   Suckatash suckage........
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

rjs123

jwgnc

Thanks for sharing.  I'll have to ageree with the majority on the vacuum you have created.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

5xTippett

Gofisher

Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

Rod Champion

That is a hefty brown there bugger.
Rod + Matt Champion
Fly Shop/ Guide Service
Located ON the S. Holston River
423-878-2822

cmiller51h

I have to go along with Karl and the others...YOU SUCK! I'm going to be tortued for the next year looking at pictures like that! Good fishin guys!
"Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way" GEN George S. Patton, 3rd Armor Commander