News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

BRPW & 276

Started by diaz dassie, December 20, 2009, 23:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diaz dassie

Does anybody know if the Blueridge Parkway will reopen around xmas day?How about 276?Im headed to Transylvania County on xmas morning and wasn't sure whether I woiuld even be able to get to Balsam Grove because of all the snow and cold temps thruout the week.Any ideas would be certainly appreciated 0--0

Woolly Bugger

For weather-related closures which can change rapidly this time of year, call the park information line at (828) 298 0398
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

diaz dassie

Cheers Woolly. They said that the PW is pretty much shut down.Oh well, gonna have to take 26 to 64 to 215.Was hoping to get into the head waters of the Balsam Grove area.We'll see what happens...
Thanks again!

troutfreak

You better hope the sunshine melts most of the 16 inches of snow they got in that area.....that is a treacherous road.  B careful and call the post office up there before you leave.  They can give you the scoop on road conditions.

Woolly Bugger

you'll have to wait for the snow to melt and that could take weeks...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

I'd say no way that section of the parkway is not going to be open any time soon, maybe about next March?
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

diaz dassie

Thank you all, 276 isn't a very forgiving road period. Hopefully 215 is navigable up to Balsam Grove...Maybe a hike to Courthouse?

The Dude

The fishing would be tough this time of year on Courthouse.  That's a lot of risk-taking and hiking - especially at a time of the year when the length of daylight is at its shortest.

Good luck - just be safe.  No point in driving off of a cliff or slipping on an icy rock and breaking your back and ruining your chances to catch loads of fish during the springtime mayfly activity in order to get a chance to fish some extremely tough conditions for a couple of hours at a high-altitude, high-gradient, low-nutrient stream in the middle of December after a major snowstorm.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

diaz dassie

Woah, sounds daunting. 1st year of attempting to fish in December or even in the snow. Been in US for over 6 years now and it dawned on me that fishing this time of the year would be uncrowded and somewhat interesting. I'll take the local persepctive! Thanks for the information, I agree, no need to get screwed up in a place thats the better part of sketchy in summer even!Hope everyone has a great holiday!Sucks being so impatient too!!!Spring is only 12 weeks away but it sounds like a lifetime...
0--0

troutfreak

You could easily fish the Davidson River to get your fix!  Roads are bad, but somewhat flat until the parkway.

jwgnc

There are plenty of put and take, catch and release, delayed harvest streams where you can support your habit without risking your life.  However, like methadone, which also acts on the opioid receptors and thus produces many of the same effects as heroin, these streams do not produce the uephoria you experience when fishing the streams of the boreal forest.

And - this is VERY important - the board will beat the crap out of you if you post a picture of a pellet pig unless it includes a hot chick over 5'6" or under 4" tall (long story)
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

diaz dassie

Cheers to everyone for the advice. The roads were somewhat dodgy this past weekend, especially with a Chrysler Siebring, a backseat driver wife and howling labrador in tow. We checked out some of the creeks, saw some guys fishing, I waded a creek off 215, nothing, dunno if the water was a bit high of too cold but yep, my 1st blank of the season (way to end the year) oh well, those trout will know about it come spring '10. Anyone keen to do a few days in the headwaters early March? I plan to do some exploring to find new fishing areas. Nothing against the other well known spots, jus saying it'd be a change to have a companion to go to the more out there places...
An early Happy New Year to everyone. Hope 2010 is a great year, on and away from the water! I am beginning the festivities early for a change and won't post any drunken comments :angel:

peter p

Drunken posts are encouraged around here.  Generally it is the only way we can handle each other
Peter