Unlimited Salmon / Steelhead News Update...

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 25, 2011, 10:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Humble suckers: Pacific lamprey have survived 5 mass extinctions but are now under threat
Cooperative efforts between tribes and non-Native institutions are helping conserve the under-researched Devonian darlings.

>>>Lamprey have been around longer than sturgeon and dinosaurs, even longer than trees. All trees. They've survived five mass extinctions and haven't evolved since at least the Cretaceous Era, 66 million years ago. But these Devonian darlings may not be long for the modern world. Dams, habitat degradation, extirpation and other colonial factors have reduced returning lamprey numbers in some basins from millions to what you can count on one hand. "This might be their extinction," Lampman said. "Our impact is more than 400 million years of impact combined. It's a wake-up call for us."

https://www.hcn.org/issues/54.2/indiginous-affairs-fish-humble-suckers-pacific-lamprey-have-survived-5-mass-extinctions-but-are-now-under-threat
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

'Unprecedented' expedition to study oceanic habitat of salmon leaves Port Angeles
Four vessels from across the world, including NOAA's Shimada from Port Angeles, are traveling to the North Pacific Ocean to study salmon.

>>>PORT ANGELES, Wash. — A battalion of scientists looking for salmon left Washington state Monday bound for the North Pacific Ocean. The expedition is made up of around 40 scientists from five countries on four ships.

The Shimada left Port Angeles Monday, bound for Alaska and then the waters between the United States and Russia.

Dr. Laurie Weitkamp, the chief scientist for the expedition, spoke to KING 5 from The Shimada, explaining that the scientists will be studying lots of different water habitats but primarily focusing on salmon because the majority of a salmon's life cycle happens in these waters.

"The goal is really trying to understand oceanic salmon habitats," Weitkamp said. "We know a lot about salmon when they're in our coastal ocean, but we don't know very much at all about when they leave."

https://www.king5.com/article/tech/science/pan-pacific-winter-high-seas-expedition-salmon/281-437e76f1-2ac6-4db0-bf62-32a2e6e173a7

yearofthesalmon.org
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Scotland hopes to save wild salmon by planting millions of trees next to rivers
River Dee initiative comes as rising water temperature from climate heating threatens species' survival

>>>Millions of trees are being planted beside Scotland's remotest rivers and streams to protect wild salmon from the worst effects of climate heating.

Fisheries scientists have found rivers and burns in the Highlands and uplands are already too warm in summer for wild Atlantic salmon as they head upstream to spawn, increasing the threat to the species' survival.

Fisheries on the River Dee in Aberdeenshire, one of the country's most famous salmon fishing rivers, have planted 250,000 saplings along key tributaries. They plan to plant a million in the Dee's catchment by 2035, including native rowan, aspen, Scots pine, birch, willow, hawthorn and juniper.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/feb/02/scotland-save-wild-salmon-planting-millions-trees-rivers
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Salmon Are No Longer Kings Of The Columbia. That Has Biologists Worried

A recent report shows an explosion of growth of a non-native species in the Columbia River. What does that mean for salmon and the cultures built on them?

>>>In 1957, the steel gates of the Dalles Dam closed and—13 miles upstream on the Columbia River—one of North America's largest waterfalls was inundated with water.

With that, an important Indigenous cultural gathering place was flooded and an unforeseen ecological cascade triggered.

Now, 77 years later, often the most common fish found flopping up Bonneville Dam's fish ladders are nonnative shad, a silvery member of the herring family and the unlikely beneficiary of the flooding of Celilo Falls.

"The shad are, even though they run out to the ocean and come back, they are not great swimmers like salmon are," says John Epifanio, lead author of a newly published report examining the proliferation of shad in the Columbia River system.

Some years shad, which were introduced to the West Coast in the 1880s, make up more than 90% of recorded upstream migrants, according to an Independent Scientific Advisory Board report to the Northwest Power and Conservation Council published in November.

https://www.invw.org/2022/02/02/salmon-are-no-longer-kings-of-the-columbia-that-has-biologists-worried/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The Atlantic salmon should be named our national fish

The United States has numerous official symbols. The American bald eagle is our national bird, the North American bison our national mammal, the rose our national flower and the oak our national tree. One thing we don't have is a national fish.

The most recent attempt to create a national fish was in 2015, when New Jersey Rep. Tom MacArthur introduced the Striped Bass American Heritage Act. The initiative apparently didn't get far, as the website promoting it has been inactive for over five years.

https://observer-me.com/2022/02/02/opinion/the-atlantic-salmon-should-be-named-our-national-fish/

me -There's a season?

trout-r-us

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on February 03, 2022, 09:34:40 AMThe Atlantic salmon should be named our national fish

The United States has numerous official symbols. The American bald eagle is our national bird, the North American bison our national mammal, the rose our national flower and the oak our national tree. One thing we don't have is a national fish.

The most recent attempt to create a national fish was in 2015, when New Jersey Rep. Tom MacArthur introduced the Striped Bass American Heritage Act. The initiative apparently didn't get far, as the website promoting it has been inactive for over five years.

https://observer-me.com/2022/02/02/opinion/the-atlantic-salmon-should-be-named-our-national-fish/

From quoted article.

"The Penobscot Salmon Club in Brewer, established in 1887, is said to have been America's first fishing club. The Veazie Salmon Club, Eddington Salmon Club and the now-defunct Dennys River Sportsman's Club followed suit"

Some may challenge the above statement as being about 150 years too late.

"Also known as the Schuylkill Fishing Company, the State in Schuylkill was the first angling club in the American Colonies. It was founded in 1732 and remains the oldest continuously active social club in the English-speaking world—a designation only London sources contest".
https://mainlinetoday.com/life-style/the-somewhat-secret-history-of-the-oldest-social-club-in-america/#:~:text=Also%20known%20as%20the%20Schuylkill%20Fishing%20Company%2C%20the,the%20English-speaking%20world—a%20designation%20only%20London%20sources%20contest.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

Washington announces unprecedented full closure of coastal steelhead fishing

>>>OLYMPIA, Wash. — The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife announced a full closure of coastal steelhead fishing on Wednesday.

The unprecedented move is being made to help support conservation efforts.

The closure begins Tuesday, March 1, and will be in effect for all sport fishing throughout the Washington coast and the Strait of Juan de Fuca.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/washington-announces-unprecedented-full-closure-coastal-steelhead-fishing/CHJE7WZVZFCXBKFAVGJGJXFWVY/
me -There's a season?

jwgnc

I loved chasing Steelhead in Washington.  Pic from many years ago on the Wenatchee.

You cannot view this attachment.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Woolly Bugger

Wild salmon are getting smaller and it might be linked to aquaculture

>>>The study, published recently in journal Science, showed the shrinking size of Atlantic salmon in the River Teno in Northern Finland might not be due to directly fishing salmon. Rather, the impacts could stem from an indirect effect: the commercial fishery of one of wild salmons' favorite foods in the ocean: a small omega-3 rich fish called capelin.

This indirect effect identified in the study puts the spotlight on salmon aquaculture. Some of the capelin fishery catch is used as fishmeal for salmon aquaculture food, suggesting strong harvest and declining capelin abundance can be an indirect way salmon aquaculture could influence wild salmon populations.

https://phys.org/news/2022-02-wild-salmon-smaller-linked-aquaculture.html

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Judge sides with Maine dam owner in environmentalists' lawsuit over fish kills

>>>Four Kennebec River dams can continue operating while a lawsuit accusing their owners of illegally killing vulnerable fish goes forward, a federal judge ruled Thursday.

The ruling was a setback for environmental groups that say Brookfield Renewable is violating the Endangered Species Act. While U.S. District Court Judge Jon D. Levy said the groups would likely succeed in proving Atlantic salmon are harmed by the dams, but he doubted forcing them to sit idle until they improved fish-passage standards would be an effective remedy.

It leaves a narrow path forward for environmentalists in the latest development in a long controversy over the dams between Waterville and Skowhegan. The administration of Gov. Janet Mills dropped a plan early last year that could have led to the removal of all four dams and softened her stance further as the year went on after backlash from Fairfield millworkers.

https://news.yahoo.com/judge-sides-maine-dam-owner-010200756.html

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Fisheries closed in Olympic National Park rivers to protect rainbow trout populations

>>>FORKS, Wash. – The National Parks Service announced that recreational fishing will be closed for all Olympic National Park rivers in an effort to wild steelhead populations.  Starting March 1, no fishing will be allowed in the Hoh, South Fork Hoh, Bogachiel, Dickey, and Quillayute river systems within Olympic National Park.

Fishing closed in Olympic National Park rivers to protect steelhead populations Fishing will reopen on June 1.

https://www.bollyinside.com/news/sports/fisheries-closed-in-olympic-national-park-rivers-to-protect-rainbow-trout-populations
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Wild fish stocks squandered to feed farmed salmon, study finds
Wealthy nations accused of depriving poorer ones of nutrient-rich food and wasting mackerel, sardine and anchovy stocks

Shoppers' appetite for salmon is causing millions of tonnes of nutritious mackerel, sardines and anchovies to be wasted as fish feed, according to new research.

Its authors say farming salmon is an inefficient way to produce nutritious seafood, calculating that half to 99% of minerals, vitamins and fatty acids in the wild-caught fish are not retained when fed to farmed Atlantic salmon.

They say removing wild-caught fish from aquaculture feed production and diverting them to human consumption, and farming more carp and fewer salmon, could increase global seafood production by 6.1m tonnes, while leaving 3.7m tonnes of fish in the sea.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/mar/02/wild-fish-stocks-squandered-to-feed-farmed-salmon-study-finds

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

US and Russian scientists are still working together to solve salmon mysteries

Tensions continue to simmer between Moscow and Washington, D.C., in the wake of Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

Oil companies are canceling partnerships with Russian firms. State legislators are calling for the state's sovereign wealth fund to dump Russian investments. President Joe Biden announced Tuesday the U.S. would close its airspace to Russian aircraft.

But the United States and Russia are still working together on at least one issue: salmon.

There's a map scattered with orange, green, blue and red dots spanning most of the North Pacific above 46 degrees latitude.

On the map are three flags of Arctic nations: the U.S., Canada and the Russian Federation.

"This interaction between the countries in this is really something that has never happened to this scale before," said Mark Saunders, the executive director of the five-country North Pacific Anadromous Fish Commission.

He's talking about the 2022 Pan-Pacific Winter High Seas Expedition.

Vessels from both sides of the Pacific are braving gale-force winds and 13-foot seas as they crisscross the ocean from the edge of the Aleutian Chain to the Strait of Juan de Fuca.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2022/03/03/us-and-russian-scientists-are-still-working-together-to-solve-salmon-mysteries/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

New documentary on plight of Scotland's salmon narrated by Peter Capaldi

A feature-length documentary about Scotland's precious salmon rivers narrated by Peter Capaldi will be screened for free across the country.

Riverwoods aims to show how Scotland's rivers, and the landscapes they run through, could be transformed for the better by regenerating river woodlands.

Across the nation, biodiversity has slumped over the centuries and native species of animal and plantlife in Scotland face all manner of challenges caused by the likes of pollution and loss of habitat.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/environment/4022306/new-documentary-on-plight-of-scotlands-salmon-narrated-by-peter-capaldi/

It will be screened in Scotland... don't know when it will be available to view online...

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

From ballistics to biodiversity: How one man traded weapons inspections in Iraq for saving salmon in Scotland

>>>Two decades ago, Roger Knight could never have imagined he'd one day be standing on the banks of the Spey, Scotland's most famous fishing river, and worrying about its water.

Back then, his worries were a little different.

He was working as a weapons inspector in Iraq with the United Nations and was part of a number of different inspection teams based in Baghdad, covering everything from chemical weapons and nuclear warfare to ballistic missiles.

Was it frightening?

"Not really," Roger said, "I'd had a pretty good background in dealing with difficult environments when I was an officer in the army. I suppose it was just more worrying in terms of the weapons programs that the Iraqis had pursued."

But after a long career in the army, a stint with the Foreign Office and a decade with the UN, in 2007 Roger swapped weapons for waders when he moved to Scotland to become director of the Spey Fishery Board.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

>>>The River Spey cuts right through the heart of north-east Scotland, running like an artery from the wild upper reaches of the Cairngorms to the Moray Firth.

It covers 1,900 square miles of beautiful country estate.

Internationally renowned for salmon fishing, it features on countless bucket lists the world over.

"Salmon fishing on the Spey brings in between £12 and £15 million a year to the local economy," Roger said.

That doesn't count permits or estate fees either. That's the pure income generated for hotels, restaurants and local shops off the back of visitors travelling to Speyside to fish.

But the salmon that once crowded these waters have all but disappeared.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/environment/4063364/from-ballistics-to-biodiversity-how-one-man-traded-weapons-inspections-in-iraq-for-saving-salmon-in-scotland/

me -There's a season?