Is this a good thing??? Municipalities offer free Wi-fi

Started by Woolly Bugger, October 25, 2006, 20:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

More than $3 billion will be spent during the next four years to build and operate public wireless networks for U.S. municipalities, according to a new research report by the web site MuniWireless.com.

http://www.nytimes.com/cnet/CNET_2100-7351_3-6129655.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
Winston-Salem/Forsyth County is going to be offering it in 2007
but what does that do to Road Runner and Clearwire and DSL services?

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

peter p

I know it is done to attract businesses to downtown areas.  If you want to be competive as a City, I think you will eventually need to offer it.   However, we supposedly have free wifi in Asheville in the downtown area.  I lived down town for the last year and never could really get it to work from my house.  Apparently, I was just out of range.  Now that I live 1 1/2 miles form downtown, I have no chance of connecting. 
Peter

phg

I havn't figured out yet why.  Most of what I've seen has to do with providing free internet access for the "disadvantaged", but they aren't likely to have a computer to begin with.  Many businesses are going wireless because of the flexability, but access is password protected.  The library where my wife works added wireless this year, and a few people bring in their laptops, but not really all that many.  I havn't tried it yet, since I have RR here at home, why bother?  I guess if you are "on the road" and have a laptop with you it could be useful, you just have to find a safe hot spot.

The limited range of most wireless devices, at least for the time being, will ensure that DSL and cable will continue to be the high speed connection of choice.  On the other hand, many of us are installing small wireless networks at home for our own use.  Personally, I can see 3 other wireless points in my own neighborhood. ::) (all are password protected)

Gofisher

Quote from: phg on October 26, 2006, 07:47:05 AM
  Personally, I can see 3 other wireless points in my own neighborhood. ::) (all are password protected)

You're a modern day Gladys Kravitz!!  :)
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

kylemc

Quote from: phg on October 26, 2006, 07:47:05 AMPersonally, I can see 3 other wireless points in my own neighborhood. ::) (all are password protected)

I can pick them up with my son's PSP

outdoorguy3

Quote from: Gofisher on October 26, 2006, 09:43:15 AM
Quote from: phg on October 26, 2006, 07:47:05 AM
  Personally, I can see 3 other wireless points in my own neighborhood. ::) (all are password protected)

You're a modern day Gladys Kravitz!!  :)

//?

Ralph   0--0
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: trout-r-us on October 26, 2006, 10:32:54 AM
IMO, increased competition is a great thing for consumers. Without it we are at the mercy of the monopoly communications companies.

PHG writes:
"Most of what I've seen has to do with providing free internet access for the "disadvantaged", but they aren't likely to have a computer to begin with"

Not sure who you are including as disadvantaged, but maybe the reason they don't have computers is because internet service has been cost prohibitive up to this point.

Broadband has been expensive, but there are a number of Free Ad based services that are available to the "disadvantaged" and there are even "free" computer (usually older business machines) too!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

I think it's definitely an advantage, it will attract more people to the places were it's installed, like coffee shops,
Libraries...ect. Most wireless signals are limited to 300 meters, and the farther out you are in that range, the weaker the signal, so your connection speed may differ.

I set up a home network, but I didn't encrypt it. I leave mine wide open, and therefore can blame surfing habits on anybody.he he he. I have protected my network, but not the signal.

They will probably install pay as you go terminals, like they do the phone cards. This will help those disadvantaged folks. They can buy minutes or get governmant issued minutes with there food stamps.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Trout Maharishi

Anything would be better than the wire I have strung up in the tallest tree in my back yard 8)
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski