New River Foat - Sunday 8/12

Started by Woolly Bugger, August 12, 2007, 23:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Mark agreed to meet me at the take for the New River Float...
Kim and his friend met us at the put in they were planning to wade..

The bite was pretty much on, except for the slow part... Got so busy catching that we had to push the last mile as the sun set...

We pretty much had a blast catching well over two dozen each. :) Nothing huge but always a nice tug on the end of the line... I'm sure disco will post a bruiser later... 

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

jkilday4

That's awesome - very envious here...I thought I was doing good to get four 9-11"ers Saturday morning at crack of dawn  :-[ - from looks of it you did good with the popper; catch 'em on anything else?

Woolly Bugger

Mark was throwing a white grub pattern and was slaying them early on, when the top water action heated up he switched to a popper too, Yellow was the best color of the day. During the heat of the mid afternoon when things slowed down a bit I went subsurface with an electric chicken and caught a number on that before switching back to poppers, ended the day with a green/pink hips popper with black legs...
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

kylemc

you should try a no slip mono loop for the popper..trust me :)

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: kylemc on August 13, 2007, 09:27:00 AM
you should try a no slip mono loop for the popper..trust me :)

I will try that next time.... I barely know three knots.... blood, pitzen, and perfection loop.

I do know the NSML but just forget on the the stream... damn it, now I'll have to drive up there soon in the evening and give it a try....

http://flyfishlouisiana.com/nonslip_loop_knot.htm

me -There's a season?

outdoorguy3

How many pics did ya take of that "ONE" fish? :P

Ralph   0--0
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: outdoorguy3 on August 13, 2007, 16:08:57 PM

Ralph   0--0

First I'm going to smite you!

Those "fishhead" shots are just for you...

Hey, you can be my photog someday! Then you'll know for sure....
me -There's a season?

lepomis_mcro

few pics of my one fish.. it was pretty neat. if i turned him one way he looked like a smallie.
turn him a little bit away from the sun, and it was crazy, he looked like a long ear sunfish.
when i held him upside down he could be mistaken for a rock bass.  what a fun long strange
day.

bend in the rod
(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

Woolly Bugger

btw, we had no less than six doubles... 0--0 :o
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: absales on August 13, 2007, 17:55:08 PM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on August 13, 2007, 16:22:36 PM
Quote from: outdoorguy3 on August 13, 2007, 16:08:57 PM

Ralph   0--0

First I'm going to smite you!

Those "fishhead" shots are just for you...

Hey, you can be my photog someday! Then you'll know for sure....

Is that the same damn fish? You only catch one? Where are all the doubles?

jis wonderin.............

I always pack one of these, just in case

me -There's a season?

lepomis_mcro

Quote from: bowsreign on August 13, 2007, 17:55:27 PM
LM,
Speaking of loop knots, what type system is that I see in your pictures? Seems like it would be a real time and leader saver when there's a need to change out flies. Any down side that you have found?

i use these for warm water fishing. your right it makes changing flies faster, and it is open like the loop knot so the fly can move freely.. i havent found a downside yet. i like the medium size snap.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0011851110700a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&No=40&Ntt=snap&noImage=0&Ntk=Products&QueryText=snap&Ntx=matchall&N=4887&Nty=1
(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

jkilday4

Quote from: lepomis_mcro on August 13, 2007, 18:34:56 PM
Quote from: bowsreign on August 13, 2007, 17:55:27 PM
LM,
Speaking of loop knots, what type system is that I see in your pictures? Seems like it would be a real time and leader saver when there's a need to change out flies. Any down side that you have found?

i use these for warm water fishing. your right it makes changing flies faster, and it is open like the loop knot so the fly can move freely.. i havent found a downside yet. i like the medium size snap.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0011851110700a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&No=40&Ntt=snap&noImage=0&Ntk=Products&QueryText=snap&Ntx=matchall&N=4887&Nty=1

Looks like a great idea.  Question though re color choice of nickel or black - under what conditions would one color be better than the other?

Bloy

The next to the last fish picture with the yellow PFD in the backdrop, fish has red eyes, what kind of fish is that little guy? Kinda' looks like a Roanoke Bass.   ???
Barry
Times fun when you're having flies.
...Kermit

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Bloy on August 19, 2007, 18:02:20 PM
The next to the last fish picture with the yellow PFD in the backdrop, fish has red eyes, what kind of fish is that little guy? Kinda' looks like a Roanoke Bass.   ???
Barry

Rock Bass- redeye
me -There's a season?

marty

Quote from: Bloy on August 19, 2007, 18:02:20 PM
Barry
rock bass, redeye, roanoke bass they are all the same although the roanoke bass may be a slight sub-species, sorta like a spotted bass, shoal bass or southern app. brook trout and northern brook trout
Marty Shaffner
Tri-State Angler Guide Service
www.tristateangler.com