Blue Ridge TU (Winston-Salem) March 19 Chapter Meeting

Started by Woolly Bugger, March 13, 2013, 09:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

March 19 Chapter Meeting:
"Aquatic Insects of Small Streams"
By Matthew Greene

Come find out which aquatic insects inhabit small streams that you fish. More importantly, you will see live insects, get a brief introduction to aquatic insect habitats, and learn about the habitat-fishing decision relationship.   The featured speaker will be Matthew Greene.

Matt studies how reservoirs influence the biodiversity, population dynamics, and life histories of aquatic insects that live in tailwater rivers. As a master's student at North Carolina State University, he is currently studying how the South Holston Reservoir influences the development, generational cycle, and population dynamics of the sulphur mayfly,  Ephemerella invaria. Matt is broadly interested in EPT taxonomy, the evolution of aquatic insects and their divergence patterns, and what drives productivity in tailwater rivers. When not conducting research, he can be found scouting out newly discovered trout water in the mountains of North Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia or casting dry flies and floating nymphs to selective trout.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

This should be a great meeting.  I have talked with Matthew and his work on the SOHO tailwater is way overdue.  From his research, he will be able to answer some of those burning questions about those darned SOHO yellow critters.  I am as excited as a dog in a hubcap factory over what he will eventually tell us.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Beetle

Does this mean you are venturing this way next week Muddie?   Holler

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Beetle on March 13, 2013, 10:41:28 AM
Does this mean you are venturing this way next week Muddie?   Holler

John, send me some directions – directions that a hillbilly, without a GPS, TomTom, or whatever, could follow using a paper map.  Also highlight places to eat– sustenance is a requirement.

Many thanks.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

Well, dingy! I'll miss it. Checking out the insect activity in West By God VA that afternoon.  -0-
Take notes Mud. Hopefully the topic won't be too far over your head.  :-*

_Fish_Pimp

I won't be there..

School is forcing me back to the mountains...not so bad seeing as the trout are there  8)

I haven't been to a meeting in a long time and I miss the steaks  ::)

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

I plan on being there, and I am bringing a date.  Do folks eat at the steakhouse before the meeting?  Time?  Many thanks.

Beetle

Yes- people order and eat during the presentation.

I am planning to attend as well.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

No deal tomorrow night - too much work this week.

Keith and/or John, please give us a report.  Many thanks.

RiverbumCO

My real name is Chad Farthouse.

Beetle

I think it begins at 6 but things don't get rolling until 6:30-7:00

RiverbumCO

Alright see yall there, ill be the short, bald mouth-breather.

RiverbumCO

It was informative for sure, but i felt like it was over a lot of folks head.  If you didnt already have a grasp on entomology then he definitely used some terms that were a tad technical for guys that mostly fish buggers on dh waters.  Interesting stuff on nymphing hellgrammites for smallmouth by jigging the fly.  He also suggested 'dancing' midge patterns in the slick water.  He was also a proponent Of extended body sulphur nymphs, but that would take forever to tie especially when most micro mays catch ayou lot of trout as it is.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

What did he say about the cohorts/broods of the yellow "bugs" on the SOHO?