News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Native Tree/Plant Plight

Started by Onslow, February 23, 2019, 14:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

>>> Klak's lab has partnered with State University of New York, the American Chestnut Foundation, and others to speed breed blight-tolerant American Chestnut seedlings in his lab and greenhouse, helping them produce pollen much faster than it would take if they grew naturally. For the first time this summer, this blight-tolerant pollen will fertilize some wild American chestnuts in Maine.

https://www.seacoastonline.com/news/20200715/partnering-to-restore-keystone-species
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

To save the hemlock, scientists turn to genetics and natural predators

>>> The eastern hemlock is not one of those ubiquitous, celebrity trees such as the white oak or the white pine. Throughout much of its range — from northern Alabama up to New Brunswick, Canada, and Minnesota — the hemlock has lurked mainly in dark mountain valleys, where the cool, moist climate favored it over competitors. In northern states and Canada, it mixed with sugar maple, beech and other cold-hardy forest dwellers. Still, the tree has inspired naturalists and writers from Henry David Thoreau to Robert Frost, who took solace from snow falling from a hemlock.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/to-save-the-hemlock-scientists-turn-to-genetics-and-natural-predators/2020/07/31/dc520050-b7b4-11ea-a510-55bf26485c93_story.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Infighting Over Genetic Engineering Splinters Efforts to Save the American Chestnut

>>>SOUTH KINGSTOWN, R.I. — What would you do to save something you love? How far would you go?

The passion that pushes the legions of volunteers in their mission to save the American chestnut borders on fanatical obsession. Since 1983, members of The American Chestnut Foundation (TACF) have dutifully cared for, bred, and attempted to restore a tree that was once the pride of U.S. woodlands before blight decimated the species.

In the nearly four decades since the Asheville, N.C.-based organization was founded, another quest for the tree's redemption has been running concurrently to TACF's backcross breeding program. It has the same aim, but employs different means.

It has various names: transgenic tree, OxO tree, genetically engineered tree. But the premise is the same: Play God, and then pray to God it works.

read://https_www.ecori.org/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ecori.org%2Fnatural-resources%2F2020%2F7%2F28%2Fchestnut-wars-splinter-recovery-efforts
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

USDA invites public comment on petition to approve GMO chestnut tree

The U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) is inviting public comment on a petition from the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) seeking deregulation of an American chestnut variety developed using genetic engineering for fungal resistance to chestnut blight. The petition will be available for public review and comment for 60 days.

https://geneticliteracyproject.org/2020/08/20/usda-invites-public-comment-on-petition-to-approve-gmo-chestnut-tree/

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/brs/aphisdocs/19-309-01p.pdf
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

>>>SHELTON — American chestnut trees, which once dotted the landscape, have been a rare find for decades — which is why the city has become an arborist's dream.

Shelton is home to an American chestnut tree, which sits beside the Rec Path close to Wesley Drive. Now a sign educating passersby of the history of the American chestnut sits beside the majestic tree.

Through the help of experts and United illuminating, the tree was pollinated over the summer. On Thursday, its seeds will be harvested to help keep the species from extinction

American chestnuts were once the predominant tree of eastern United States forests and important for their economic impact, Shelton Trails Committee member Val Gosset said.

Gosset said fellow Shelton Trail Committee member Mark Vollaro is active in The American Chestnut Foundation, so he collected some leaves and sent them to the national group for confirmation that the tree was a pure American chestnut, not a Chinese chestnut tree or mixture of the two. Chinese chestnuts are relatively blight resistant and have partially replaced their American cousins in the ecosystem.

Once confirmation was received, Gosset said the next step was pollination.

"Since chestnuts don't self-pollinate and there were no other flowering American chestnut trees in the vicinity, the flowers of the Shelton tree needed to be hand-pollinated to produce viable seeds," Gosset said.

The American Chestnut Foundation recently pollinated the tree, with the help of United Illuminating and a Lewis Tree Service bucket truck. Now the project moves to the next step — harvesting the chestnut seeds which will happen on Thursday.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

"The flowers of these majestic trees are far out of reach," Gosset said. "Representatives from TACF brought pollen from other Connecticut flowering American chestnuts and applied it to the female flowers of the Shelton chestnut tree. The flowers were then covered with corn bags to protect them from any possible stray pollen."

https://www.sheltonherald.com/news/article/Shelton-home-to-rare-American-chestnut-tree-15590629.php#photo-20002407
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Efforts To Genetically Engineer American Chestnut Trees Draw Controversy

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Into the Wild: GMOs head for the forest

>>>Genetic engineering is set to leave the farm for the forest. After over twenty years of growing genetically engineered (GE or genetically modified) crop plants in North America, researchers are now proposing to plant GE trees in the forests of eastern US and Canada. This is a precedent-setting request that asks us to accept, even embrace, genetically modified organisms (GMOs) in the wild.

The first genetically engineered forest tree is now being considered for release into the wild. The US Department of Agriculture is now assessing a proposal from university researchers to plant a GE American chestnut tree in forests. The researchers have genetically engineered the tree to tolerate the blight Cryphonectria parasitica that decimated American chestnut populations in Canada and the US in the 1900's.

This GE tree is engineered with a gene from wheat, key to creating the blight-tolerant trait, as well as genetic material from four other species: a plant related to mustard, two different bacteria, and a plant virus. Together, the use of this new genetic material has resulted in the "Darling 58" GE American chestnut tree.

https://watershedsentinel.ca/articles/into-the-wild-gmos-head-for-the-forest/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Redbay ambrosia beetle attack continues

>>>Many species of ambrosia beetles are known to infest fruit and nut trees and woody ornamentals causing significant damage in nurseries, orchards and home landscapes. However, in 2002, when the redbay ambrosia beetle (Xyleborus glabratus) was first detected in coastal Georgia, it was not considered to be a threat to healthy trees. The beetle was most likely introduced in a shipment of goods packed on untreated wooden pallets and in untreated wooden crates from Southeast Asia. However, fast forward to 2021. Statistics now show just how great the threat is – more than 300 million redbays have died as have other members of the laurel family attacked by the beetles, including avocado, sassafras, California bay laurel and spicebush.

Why should we care? Redbay (Persia borbonia) is an important native plant species of the southeast coastal plain. It is a small tree or large shrub of the maritime forest with three- to six-inch long evergreen lance-shaped leaves arranged alternately along the stem. The leaves have a distinct spicy odor when crushed. Redbay has long been used in boatbuilding, cabinet making and veneer work. Many species of birds feed on the small black fruit. Deer and bear feed on both fruit and foliage. The larva of the Palamedes swallowtail butterfly feed primarily on redbay leaves. As redbays continue to decline, threats to the lives of the animals that rely on them will increase. If you take a look at the surrounding coastal maritime forest and see a number of small trees with completely brown leaves hanging on, most likely you are looking at an infested dying redbay. The dead leaves stand out against the many other healthy evergreen leaves of other plant species found growing with the redbay.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

https://www.coastalillustrated.com/ch/column_gardening/article_dea7e966-546a-56f1-9255-132e7057c0cc.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Sierra Club Inches Toward Accepting Genetically Modified Chestnut Trees
Let's restore this giant to America's forests.

>>>Now the venerable Sierra Club is inching toward embracing the TACF's blight-resistant chestnut. The group's response to the TACF's petition gingerly concludes that introducing the blight-resistant chestnut to eastern forests likely presents "no threat to ecosystems" and "provides an environmental benefit." An article in the Sierra Club's magazine shows a similar openness to the idea.

"One of the great ecological tragedies of the last century was the destruction of tens of millions of American chestnut trees through an invasive fungal disease," I noted in my own public comments to the Department of Agriculture. "The development and wide-scale deployment of a new fungus-resistant variety of American chestnut by means of modern biotechnology would go a long way toward reversing this tragedy and restoring the ecological balance of east coast forests."

https://reason.com/2021/03/11/sierra-club-inches-toward-accepting-genetically-modified-chestnut-trees/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

How the Climate Crisis and Pests Are Impacting Four Tree Species in Vermont's Woods

>>>American Chestnut

The largest American chestnut in Vermont is dying.

For years, it and two other chestnut trees near a road in rural Berlin were holdouts, the remnants of a species that once blanketed the eastern U.S. Today, only two of those 80-year-old trees are left. They stand in a patch of forest on ground so thick with leaves that it's soft and spongy underfoot.

The state record holder is tall and sprawling, but the bark has sloughed off its upper branches, now stark like scaffolding against the sky. Inside the deep-set rivulet patterns on its bark are hints of orange, a telltale sign. The tree is a victim of a fungus called chestnut blight, which eats away at the layer of cells just under the bark where new growth begins. Eventually it girdles the tree, cutting off nutrient flow and killing it,

https://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/how-the-climate-crisis-and-pests-are-impacting-four-tree-species-in-vermonts-woods/Content?oid=32812632
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Part 1

The USDA Forest Service, The University of Tennessee, and other partners showcase their research on the American chestnut (Castanea dentata), a species that was extirpated by a non-native pathogen (Cryphonectria parasitica) that causes chestnut blight disease. Over 4,000 hybrid chestnuts that were bred for blight-resistance were planted on three national forests since 2009, and research is still ongoing.

Part 2

The USDA Forest Service, The University of Tennessee, and other partners showcase their research on the American chestnut (Castanea dentata), a species that was extirpated by a non-native pathogen (Cryphonectria parasitica) that causes chestnut blight disease. Over 4,000 hybrid chestnuts that were bred for blight-resistance were planted on three national forests since 2009, and research is still ongoing.

me -There's a season?

jwgnc

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 18, 2021, 11:51:35 AMSierra Club Inches Toward Accepting Genetically Modified Chestnut Trees
Let's restore this giant to America's forests.

Speaking of the Sierra Club ... 

We live way out in the woods and don't go in to town to pick up the mail unless we see something interesting in the the daily email from USPS Informed Delivery.  This came today.You cannot view this attachment.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.