Rod Wrappin'

Started by walt, March 14, 2006, 06:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walt

fighting a nice cat brown....

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

and landing him....

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

it was a slow yet grand time on the river sunday with rod wrapper (dave) and a fishin buddy (opie. aka mark) .... we all managed at least one fish and it was a bit warm... in the eighties....  i have no idea what inspired me to wear fleece under my waders... sheesh, talk 'bout sweatin'.

wally

"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

Mstash

We spoke with guys in a two man toon yesterday.
They said they were doing pretty well with Buggers and stones
The wind was the killer yesterday.

A lot of sitting and waiting for the feeding to happen.
We caught up on some fine fishing tales 0--0

The wind will be even worse today. They say. o-o
Who is they anyway?

Might have to do domestic s$#@ around the house and try tomorrow.

Mstash

walt

Quote from: Mstash on March 14, 2006, 07:22:04 AM
We spoke with guys in a two man toon yesterday.
They said they were doing pretty well with Buggers and stones
The wind was the killer yesterday.

we dry flied all day, occasionally with a dropper (i did toss the spinner some).... casting to risers wherever we could find 'em. with the water off.... it was damn technical..... especially on the stillwaters. i was par for the course.... 4 nice fish shook me.... saw a real big stone nymph floating/swimmin' in the stillwater...... 1000's of midges also.... and of course.... the blizzard.... and ducks.... friggin ducks just swimmin always downstream.... puttin down the fish....

QuoteA lot of sitting and waiting for the feeding to happen.
We caught up on some fine fishing tales 0--0

yup....

QuoteThe wind will be even worse today. They say. o-o
Who is they anyway? Might have to do domestic s$#@ around the house and try tomorrow.

the weather gods have spoken..... did my domestic all day yesterday.... mulch is no fun and i still have at least 3/4 of a truck load to go..... 'stash, do you happen to have pitchfork, will travel?  ;D

wally
"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

Woolly Bugger

I've yet to fish the CAT looks like a good urn.... holler the next time you're gonna go and I've bring the  toon....

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

walt

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 14, 2006, 08:24:23 AM
I've yet to fish the CAT looks like a good urn.... holler the next time you're gonna go and I've bring the  toon....

hey keith, i'm going to try again sunday if weather is good....

wally
— Cormac McCarthy

Mstash

Keith
Did you get a truck to haul it?
Thia month I'm off durning the week some so I can fish

Mstash

Rod Wrapper

It is Rod Wrapper, but that is OK.

I can imagine someone did well with big stones.  The river is loaded with size 8 black stone fly nymphs.  Like Walt said, we saw one floating down the river.  It is just about time to try them deep as nymphs.

If you fish the river on low water, get ready for technical fishing.  Long leaders, 60-70' casts and 7X tippet.  The fish are very easy to put down.  Be prepared to switch between caddis (right now) to midge pupae and duns--size 24.  Very small.  The pods of fish we saw in the still water were nypning, not chasing caddis.  Even the fish chasing caddis are not easy, particularly in areas that are easily accessabile where the fish have been pounded.

That is what makes it fun.

Rod Wrapper
www.blue-ridge-rods.com
Rod Wrapper
FFF Certified Instructor

Mstash

QuoteIf you fish the river on low water, get ready for technical fishing. 

I feel technical today

How about you

Mstash

walt

sweeeettt stash......  0--0

wally
— Cormac McCarthy