News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Bass on a fly - Lake Rim

Started by Al, May 25, 2006, 18:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

I have been helping out at Lake Rim with several school events this past week. While waiting for the buses to arrive I have been testing the ponds to see how they will fish during our upcoming "Warm Water Fly Fishing Clinic" which is scheduled for Saturday, June 10th. (We have one pond with about 40 bass and another with 130 shell crackers). Here are some photos of some of the bass I caught this morning.

croaker

-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

badankles

nice.  hey, Al, been meaning to ask...is the lake open for public during non-event hours?
when's a newbie no longer a newbie...

Al

Quote from: badankles on May 25, 2006, 20:17:12 PM
nice.  hey, Al, been meaning to ask...is the lake open for public during non-event hours?

Short answer is NO!

Longer answer is that we were able to gain fishing privileges for our volunteers that help out with the fly fishing clinics. Access is limited, ie only when someone is there and only when no other activity is going on. No fishing when a scheduled event is in progress.

How do you get on the roster? It is a little late for this year because the Warm Water FFC will be the last for this year. We will be doing several trout events starting in January 2007. Contact me and work a couple of events. If it looks like you're a good mesh, your name will be placed on the roster. We are always in need of folks who really want to help others learn the sport of fly fishing.

This is a good deal. We have a lot of fun. Many of us even learn a thing or two from the other volunteers. And of course having access to some private water that is well stocked is icing on the cake. However, the fishing is a bonus. Don't volunteer just for the fishing. Folks who do that don't last long.  Most of us did it 2-3 years without fishing privileges. That only came about this year. We do not need folks who have so much going on that they can not commit to at least half of our scheduled events.

badankles

thanks, Al.  thought i'd ask.  i've been reading yours and others updates of the events going on there.  don't think i have enough knowledge to be one of the volunteers.  it's a really good thing you folks are doing and you deserve that little bit of perk.
when's a newbie no longer a newbie...