Action Alert! Save a brook trout stream!

Started by Woolly Bugger, April 05, 2018, 10:05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

as seen on the Drake and FB -- sign this petition and send an email

https://www.change.org/p/janice-deshais-protect-roaring-brook-s-native-brook-trout-stop-development-of-love-s-travel-stop

----------------------------------------------------------------------

if you really wanted to go that extra mile, and can prove you have done so, i will send you through the mail a streamer that works well on this brook and extend an invitation that should you ever be in northeastern connecticut i will show you around. to get this extra benefit, please copy and paste this language into an email and send it to: deep.adjudications@ct.gov with a subject line that reads:

"Application Number 201503113 for Love's Travel Stop and Country Store For Discharge of Wastewater From Sewage Treatment and Subsurface Disposal System To Groundwater"

April 1, 2018

Your Name Here
Your Address Here

Janice Deshais
Hearing Officer
Office of Adjudications, Department of Energy and Environmental Protection
79 Elm Street, Hartford CT, 06106

Ms Deshais,

I am writing to you in reference to application number 201503113 for Love's Travel Stop and Country Store for discharge of wastewaters from sewage treatment and subsurface disposal system to groundwater.

I would like to voice my concern over the execution and completion of this project. It is my contention that this project will irreplaceably damage the watershed of Roaring Brook, and negatively affect the native brook trout that reside within it. I contend that the proposal to develop a leaching field capable of handling an average of 6,000 gallons per day will damage the adjoining ecosystem.

My primary concern is that the proposed leaching field is too close in proximity to wetlands outlined by Brian Murphy, senior fisheries biologist with the CT Department of Environmental. Specifically, the development of the leaching field will result in siltation, increased water temperature, and decrease of riparian habitat around wetlands (outlined as "wetland H" in Murphy's assessment document provided to the Willington PZC on 6/28/13) that harbor native brook trout and provide them spawning and nursery grounds. Additionally, I am concerned that storm water run off and overall construction will negatively impact additional wetlands (outlined as "wetland F/G" in Murphy's assessment).

Please consider carefully this fragile ecosystem in your decision to allow for Love's Travel Stop and Country Store to develop their leaching field and overall construction project. I appreciate your attention to this sensitive matter and I trust that your decision will be a fair and equitable one for all parties concerned, human and trout.

Sincerely,

Your Name
Your Cell Phone Number
Your Email Address
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dee-Vo

The Dude

Does the guy have any justification for his conclusions that the stream is at risk from this construction proposal, or is it just based on his "gut feel"?  And are people just jumping on board with the letter writing campaign to try to sway the opinion of the regulator for a situation for which they know nothing about?

'Murica.

I have one: "Please send letters to my local HOA to stop the egregious and heinous action requiring the neighborhood residents to pay for the cost of repaving our road. Lives are at stake and it is a senseless act. How many beers are being taken out of my hands by forcing me to pay an additional $500/year for 7 years to cover the construction costs?  There is no reason to think the road cannot last another 150 years, in my esteemed opinion.  Also, being as how our neighborhood is on a lake that supplies drinking water for thousands of local residents, it is clearly an environmental disaster and thousands of people could die from it."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Onslow

Fisheries biologists and soil engineers cannot be trusted.  Just a gut feeling I have.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

The domesticated Dude.
An endangered species.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

The Dude

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on April 05, 2018, 19:27:14 PM
For he Dude;

http://www.drakemag.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65792[/font]

Follow the links[/font]

But you're on your own with your HOA

Keith, thanks for the link.  I read the article and I guess I still feel like it is impossible to really get a feel for the impact based on what was said.  The part about the surface water running off of the asphalt makes some sense (warm, oils, debris, etc).  But it doesn't sound like there will be any destruction of riparian buffer and wetlands.  In fact, the presence of the wetlands between the truck stop and the creek make me think that it is probably safer to put a truck stop there than somewhere else along the stream.  As he stated, wetlands are nature's water repair systems.  Those wetlands will protect the stream from much of the runoff and toxins before they reach the creek.  Wetland vegetation can literally suck heavy metals out of the water up into their stalks and transform them into harmless by products.  As for the leaching field, I fail to see any ill effects it might have.  If anything, it will act as a nutrifier for the stream, but likely will have no impact.  They don't build truck stops out in the middle of nowhere.  That means that the creek runs along an existing major highway already anyway - and has been doing just fine. 

Anyway, I'm all for protecting trout streams and I might feel different if it was in my backyard, but I would think that as long as they maintain a good riparian buffer along the stream, and they aren't draining and building on any wetlands, then I just don't understand the "crisis".  It sounds like the guy just doesn't want a truck stop (with all of the 24-hr noise, filthy truckers, and lot lizards) going up near his house.  I don't blame him for that one bit.  But as far as putting the stream's life in immediate and imminent peril.............I just don't see it (based only on what I've read).  It's not like the Blue Ridge Parkway left a corridor of dead streams along its 400 mile length.  I'm just saying......
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Dougfish

I know it's an anomaly, but I fish a wild rainbow stream that runs along a busy entrance ramp and a section of I-81 that sees more truck acvidemts, and cleanups, than any other stretch in VA. The resiliency vs. the delicacy of streams. Headscratcher.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Big J

Just let me know when you all start talking about culverts.

Also Dude, good luck with the HOA.  Wife wanted to move to a neighborhood with an HOA and I wouldn't budge on my no HOA standard.  I'll take bubba down the street with 50 cats, weeds the size of trees, standing outside in underwear bent over at 11 pm with headlights shining on his rear end as he picks up "things" (undecided on what he was doing) in the yard; over having an HOA.  HOA's are the devil.

driver

Quote from: Big J on April 06, 2018, 08:45:06 AM

Also Dude, good luck with the HOA.  Wife wanted to move to a neighborhood with an HOA and I wouldn't budge on my no HOA standard.  I'll take bubba down the street with 50 cats, weeds the size of trees, standing outside in underwear bent over at 11 pm with headlights shining on his rear end as he picks up "things" (undecided on what he was doing) in the yard; over having an HOA.  HOA's are the devil.
This is how I roll as well. It took me a year to find the house I wanted without an HOA.

Dougfish

Quote from: Big J on April 06, 2018, 08:45:06 AM

Yesterday's poster child culvert action.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Big J