News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Some Salty Trout on the Fly.

Started by rjs123, December 11, 2010, 19:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs123

I have been spin fishing the last three days catching 30-40 speckled trout in about 2 hours.  Today I got the fly rod out and did some wading. What a blast!  Caught at least 16 trout and 7 or 8 lady fish in 2 hours wading.  I wish I could say I really did something great here but to be honest you could probably catch them on a cane pole the bite is so good.  Got a hit on almost ever cast.  They are in close too so it made the casting easy.  Never switched from an Orvis Howitts shrimp pattern.  Getting better with the eight weight and the heavy flies.  I just put some RIO Redfish line on though replacing the really cheap stuff and it has made a difference.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

jwgnc

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.  Looks like a blast.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

flatlander

Woolly Bugger

nice, but watch the vulcan death grip...

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

rjs123

I hear ya Keith.  It was easy to get careless handling so many of them.  I do want them to live so when they come in season I can eat some :)

croaker

-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

bullship

They're a blast. Not exactly the smartest fish in the world, but pretty and lots of fun. The only time my wife has ever gone fishing with me she caught 30-40 little guys in a couple hours.
It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

blue ridge angler

5xTippett

Good job, Robert.  How did Key West treat you?

rjs123

Key West was a lot of fun but I didnt have any time to fish.  The event went well and hanging out with my assistant Nicole is always a great time.  We actually marched in the annual holiday parade down Duvall Street.  Didnt get a conch fritter BUT I will be going back next year for sure.

Here are some pics:

This is a tintype pic of me in my Pirate Outfit.

One of our customers that we dressed up for this tintype.

This guy from Guyana was 40 feet up in this tree standing at the top. He cut open the coconut and drank the milk from it in the tree.

My assistant Nicole shooting a plate of a Pirate.

Red Beard and one of his pi-RATS.

These things are everywhere. Some nice hackle feathers there!

Sloppy Joes on Duvall Street.

This is my setup.  There is a skylight in the back of the tent.

diaz dassie

Some people just have it all! Nicely done bd;0

Leedawg

Good Stuff  'c; I spent too much time and money in Key West during my Navy years. I remember some of it. Especially Sloppy Joes  and the Hogs Breath Saloon. Check out the Bull next time you are there. Always an eclectic mix of locals, hippies, sailors, and drifters of all sorts. I miss the Keys.

Fire-Fly

you suck Bob. I saw that pic of you, i knew you were born in 1748. U need to hurry home and get away from that miserable warm weather and back to these lovely 20 deg days!

rjs123

Im actually home now BJ.  Just in time for the ice and snow tomorrow.  BUT  I just came to pick up my art fair setup.  Im doing a show near Tampa in early January.  Ill be out of here Friday morning and hopefully fly fishing on Tampa Bay this weekend.  Its supposed to be in the 70s there!  Come on down and join me.

Fire-Fly

Quote from: rjs123 on December 15, 2010, 21:51:18 PM
Im actually home now BJ.  Just in time for the ice and snow tomorrow.  BUT  I just came to pick up my art fair setup.  Im doing a show near Tampa in early January.  Ill be out of here Friday morning and hopefully fly fishing on Tampa Bay this weekend.  Its supposed to be in the 70s there!  Come on down and join me.

And leave these balmy conditions NEVER. I'm thinking of doing some wet wading tomorrow. :D We'll get together when u get back. Have a good time.