2 (5.6%)
Pond/Spinner
3 (8.3%)
Pond/Fly
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: May 14, 2010, 20:48:12 PM

jwgnc

I caught my first trout on a worm in a little creek in northern Michigan.  In the little finger of MI near lake Leelanau.  Native Brookie off my great aunt's farm. 

Yes I kept it - we kept all of them when we were 8 years old.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

diaz dassie

Back in 1984 in Wellington South Africa on a yellow humpy. I will never forget it, a 5 inch wild rainbow and I have been addicted since, never tried rehab, it's for quitters anyways >:D

dnakamoto

When I was younger my dad was stationed in West Point NY.  We used to fish the ponds/lakes/rivers there every weekend that was warm enough to fish.  Never used flies though and I think they were mostly stockers.

FoulHook

Davidson River w/ a can of corn at around 8 years old I guess.

First on the fly was also on the D at about 12, elk hair caddis. Both caught while fishing with my grandpa.
Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

OldDominionAngler

My first trout caught was a stocked rainbow on a Joe's spinner near Strasburg, VA. 

First on the fly was on the Rose River in SNP in the middle of winter. Little brookie took a caddis pupa and I didn't realize he was on until I picked up for a false cast.

flip

I caught my first on a mepps spinner when I was in third grade. I skipped school and went to the local reservoir. my first trout on a fly was on the Laurel River on some kind of a nymph about 6 years ago. I think it was pure luck. It was about a 14 inch rainbow. one minute the fly was drifting, the next i was fighting a fish. It was great. I will never forget the gent who introduced me to the fly. 

thenextlevel

First trout I caught was at a Pond near Big Tumbling Creek in VA.  My dad had taken me fishing and camping there for the weekend.  After getting skunked on the river we stopped by a pay to fish pond and I caught my first  trout, a 22 inch Rainbow that I still have on my wall to this day. That moment started an obsession that has followed me to this day (22 years later).   0--0

Woolly Bugger

17 years ago, first fly fishing trip ever. Caught this brookie despite all odds...

I forget what fly it was probably an Elk Hair Caddis...definitely a dry fly

It was on the little river in Sparta NC

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

Damn Woowee that was only 17 years ago ;D Did he tell you where the big ones were after squeezing the crap out of him? I caught my first one on worms and a sapling cut from the stream side. I had about 15 or 20 feet of old fly line tied to the end of the stick. The fly line had a leader made out of a piece of 4lb test mono line of some type.  I used a worm with a split shot about a foot above the garden hackle fly. I was maybe 7 or 8 years old.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

outdoorguy3

I was 7 fishing with my dad at Bennett Spring, Mo.

Folks use to vacation there with other families.  My brother and I had to take turns fishing with my dad.

Caught the first trout on fly I tied at age 9 at the same place.  Use to take old flies that were coming apart and take them apart to see how to tie them.

Black woolly worm with grizzly hackle attached to a #2 Hildebrand spinner.

Ralph   0--0
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

bugman

I caught my first trout, a rainbow, on opening day of trout season in 1966 or 67 on a Colorado Spinner at the confluence of Little Back Creek and Back Creek in Bath County, VA.  My first trout on a fly was 2 years later on a Grey Hackle Peacock at the same location, and on opening day again, I think.  I do remember what I thought the trout were taking that day.  I was sure the critters fluttering around were flying ants.  Only much later did I learn that they were not winged ants but the last of the small winter stoneflies, and the Grey Hackle Peacock was a fair representative.   

blue ridge angler

caught my first trout at the green river here in polk county about 20 yrs ago..stocker bow..
my dad took me and my brother out and gave us a can of corn and some big split shot..
while we fished he drank a few beers..back then green river cove rd was gravel from bottom to top..
first on the fly was a wild bow from a smaller local stream on a nymph I had tied myself around 8 or so yrs ago..

tbird4

I caught my first trout otf on the chattooga river, it was stocked rainbow probably 12" on a para adams.  I caught a couple when I was younger fishing with my dad on spinning tackle, I think we were fishing marabou jigs.  The first trout otf will stick with me forever.

Rog 1

It was 50 years ago this summer...after a picnic my grandmother made my cousin take me with him on a piece of water in the GSMNP named Porter's Creek...I was fishing a Ginger Quill dry fly on a spinning rod...managed to drop the fly in the bottom of a plunge pool on a small side channel and caught a 7" rainbow...only keeper that was caught that day by either my cousin or grandfather....have been chasing those damn fish ever since...still return to that same water every year...my son has even caught trout in the same little run...and his name is Porter.

5xTippett

I was 12 when someone told my father about trout fishing.  He bought us both Fenwick fly rods and we headed to Cherokee.  I caught my first trout on a Panther Martin in town.  My first one on a fly would have been on Bradley Fork most probably on a Thunderhead or an Adams the same year.