News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

creakycane, T5Video and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

itieuglyflies

Still beats working or sitting at home.

driver

Fishbug

Fishbug

anybody live nearby know what the water looks like?

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Fishbug on September 13, 2020, 14:40:00 PManybody live nearby know what the water looks like?

Went by today. Still dingy and stained.

creakycane

Yep, this dingy stained water has been pretty constant for months.  Still about the same.  Amazing it has lasted this long.  Is the whole reservoir just stirred up from the spring heavy rains, and its taking this long to clear?  Or is it due to where they are pulling from with no power generation happening.  On the rare occasion that have reduced to 70cfs or so, it is still pretty stained?  Thanks for any input!

Dougfish

Me thinks there is a thick layer of muddy water in the lake we are continuously drawing from.
Ugly.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Onslow

Quote from: Dougfish on October 01, 2020, 20:06:53 PMMe thinks there is a thick layer of muddy water in the lake we are continuously drawing from.
Ugly.

Smith= Man made gheyness. I'd rather fish the South Fork Mayo for smallmouth.

Kerr Scott does this at certain flows. Wasn't as bad this year as it was in 2018.

Al

I helped with several DGIF samples this summer. Even with the muddy water the fish appear to be doing well. Lots of healthy browns and tons of stocked rainbows. I remember in years past the rainbows all seemed skinny - that is no longer the case. There seems to be plenty of food and the fish are still finding it.

Having said that - the number of fish seem to start petering out once you get past Hwy 220 bypass. Expect that has to do with raising water temperatures. They plan to sample below Martinsville Dam soon - we will see.

Fishbug

Maybe the mud will be good if they ever fix the damn dam.

Mud = nutrients = plants = bugs = less puny trouts

Al

This just in --- "Due to Maintenance the Smith River Releases were reduced to both low flow valves around 70 cfs.  Maybe an opportunity to fish". 

I checked a little further and was told this might continue for 2 days - but as always check your surroundings and be prepared get out if faster water comes your way.

troutrus

Thanks for the tip Al. First time I've seen some of these rocks since springtime. Beautiful day. Even caught a few fish and got to say Hi to the Bossman.
You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

Woolly Bugger

Trouts had just fished though my pool!

I played my dry fly game, caddis, hi-vis parachute bwo, and puff daddies all took fish! Well into double digits if you count punes!

The word was out- four cars in the lot, I was the only wet wader. Air temp 80, water 65.. perfect!

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Thanks Al for the heads up!

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutrus

Though you may have been the only one without waders, be assured you were not the only one that was wet. 🤣  My pin hole leaks apparently went full blown while setting idle in the closet all summer.

RiverbumCO

Crazy the water can be that warm still.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.