News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Passing through

Started by NEheadhunter, March 15, 2012, 18:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEheadhunter

Hey all,

My name is Trev and I am from Omaha, NE. I am sure this has been brought up before and if there is another thread on this subject please let me know...sorry for the long winded post.

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip through the Asheville area at the end of this month, and although the South is a place that has always intrigued me, I have never had the opportunity to travel through the area. Two of my best friends moved to Montana and Wyoming a few years ago after finishing school, and MT, CO, and WY are the places I have had the chance to frequent. Even though I live in a place that takes me 5 hrs to get to a quality trout stream (Snake River in western, NE and the Driftless region in NE Iowa) I consider myself an avid fly fisherman.

As this trip is not strictly for fishing (I am getting her there), I have been trying to do some research and possibly get a little guidance from the locals. The thought of a guide has crossed my mind, but I have always liked the challenge of exploring uncharted waters and figuring out the water/insects myself. From a local's perspective, I was just wondering where the best place to go would be if I only had say 2-3 days to fish. I am definitely not asking for specific holes or places on streams, but more so of an area to concentrate on (whether its closer to town fishing the Davidson or say meandering through the Smoky's and hitting some back country streams, just generally where to spend the most time). Hopefully the March Browns are poppin' off and I am able to get into some dry fly action. I appreciate any guidance/feedback/input on anything regarding the area... even food or places to stay.

I really appreciate your time and look forward to getting a chance to see the area and enjoy the amazing fisheries i've heard so much about.

Thanks again

Trev

FoulHook

Did you say Driftless Region?! I'm heading to SW Wisconsin later this year myself and hoping to do some fishing. An information swap could be worked out, should you feel inclined...
Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

Aka

Quote from: FoulHook on March 15, 2012, 18:27:15 PM
Did you say Driftless Region?! I'm heading to SW Wisconsin later this year myself and hoping to do some fishing. An information swap could be worked out, should you feel inclined...

Awwww damnitall Nick don't you dare mention anything about Little River in Dupont S.P. or the East Fork of the French Broad.

FoulHook

Quote from: AK Aaron on March 15, 2012, 18:40:45 PM

Awwww damnitall Nick don't you dare mention anything about Little River in Dupont S.P. or the East Fork of the French Broad.

And there goes all my leverage for information...
Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

NEheadhunter

Haha thanks Aaron, very much appreciated! Nick, as far as the Driftless region I am mostly familiar with the Iowa portion, but I would check out Bloody Run creek (Clayton county).. also Waterloo Creek & French Creek (Allamakee county) are worth checking out. French creek has special regulations and its full of naturally reproducing wild browns & brookies. Im sure like many streams in your area, it's managed strictly for these fish and so all trout must be released and only artificial lures can be used.  I haven't fished them myself, but I've heard Vernon, Richland, and Grant counties in SW Wisconsin are supposed to be pretty productive. Hope this helps, thanks again for both of your replies!

Trev

bullship

at least you didn't give up intel on the unique hatches those beauties generate. 
It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

Aka

Quote from: bullship on March 15, 2012, 19:42:32 PM

at least you didn't give up intel on the unique hatches those beauties generate.

No worries. A true gentleman angler never kisses and tells.

I do have a new pattern I am working on but not for either of those two gems (wink, wink, nod, nod).

[attach=1]

NEheadhunter

Quote from: AK Aaron on March 15, 2012, 19:55:41 PM
Quote from: bullship on March 15, 2012, 19:42:32 PM

No worries. A true gentleman angler never kisses and tells.

I do have a new pattern I am working on but not for either of those two gems (wink, wink, nod, nod).

[attach=1]

I catch your drift  :)...I guess ill have to do like the rest of everyone else and go at it trial and error. Nice fly  :laugh:, we tie a few of those around here ourselves...being in the Cornhusker state. 

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

snagaluffaguss

Look up Brevard, NC on a map.

Look up Cherokee, NC on a map.

Google anything you see from there.

Aka

Honestly if you only have 2-3 days and your girlfriend is going to be with you hit the DH streams (delayed harvest). They've all been stocked several times since the fall and have had a recent stocking within the last couple of weeks. The holdovers from last fall have gotten wise to poor presentations by now and the new brood will provide for great photo/ impress the girlfriend opportunities.
Little river in Dupont SP does see its share of poaching, worm dunkers but it is also an incredibly beautiful place. The film The Hunger Games was filmed there, there are four great waterfalls, (STAY AWAY FROM THE TOPS OF WATERFALLS) and the trails are well maintained. You can strip streamers down low through the bigger pools, nymph the mid section above Hooker falls and float dries above Triple Falls.
The best part is that your girlfriend does not have to be a huge bash-the-rhodo enthusiast to enjoy the place.

This is what it looks like in the fall.
[attach=1]

if your dead set on some wild fish take snag's advice, but be prepared, outside of the park access can be less than ideal.

The Dude

I'll chime in here with my $0.02.  With such a short timeframe to work with, if you have the abililty to spring for a guide, that is what I would recommend.  Going on a float trip on one of the larger streams in the area will probably be your best bet for a "make a memory" kind of trip.  I wholeheartedly agree that going it on your own and exploring some of the smaller area streams can be a fun time, but in 2-3 days, you really aren't going to be able to get into anything more than easily accessible and highly trafficked public waters.  I'm sure it would be fun, but I doubt you'd look back on it one day and feel like it was a badass vacation.  However, I think a guided float trip would provide you with that chance of a truly memorable experience, and a chance at some large fish, too. 
I highly recommend you give Davidson River Outfitters a call (even if you don't get a guided trip) located in Brevard (828) 877-4181.  If you are a good tipper, then ask for Heath, he will take good care of you.  If you are tight with the tippage, then get one of the other guys.   ;)
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

troutboy_II

PM Sent.  Don't remember if you have to have a minimum number of posts to access or not.  Figure it out if that's the case. 

No blue lines  :P  but some better known streams you may not have thought of.

TB

When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

NEheadhunter

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on March 16, 2012, 09:40:44 AM
NE - do you know Penny?

AHAHA no Mudwall, I wish I did though

I honestly cant say how thankful and appreciative I am of all the feedback/guidance/suggestions I have received. I can tell without ever visiting that there are definitely a lot of good people living around the area.  bd;0

AK - Thanks for the info on the DH, I was curious about how that program worked and if those streams would be worth checking out. Scenery and waterfalls will definitely get the girlfriend excited  ;) may just have to check out Dupont SP

Dude - A float trip has definitely crossed my mind and is not completely out of the question, however, I am trying to keep a decent budget and have tried to justify the cost many times. Would love to float the South Holston. Still might. Have heard a lot of good things about DRO and plan on swinging by the shop for sure.

troutboy - PM returned. Cant thank you enough!

Now only if I could find some good ol' shine... :P

MANY THANKS!!

troutboy_II

Do you mean Stomp?!!  Never heard of it.   :-X

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.