News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Scott A4 vs Sage VXP

Started by Stormin_Mormon_92, March 19, 2012, 19:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stormin_Mormon_92

So im getting ready to purchase a new rod and its come down to the Sage VXP and the Scott A4. either one will be a 5 wt and will be paired with a redington surge with rio gold for the time being. i havnt decided if i want to go with the 8'6 of the 9' yet but am leaning toward the 8'6 for weight purposes, either way the rod is going to be 4 pc. The rod is going to be used all summer heavily throwin large dries and terrestrials and also the streamer occasionally and some nymph rigs, but ill be in WEst Yellowsont fishing places like the Madison and Yellowstone. However, i also want the rod to be able to throw some more delicate dry flies for the eastern tail-races like SOHO and Watauga in Tennessee. I have had some say vxp and some say scott. I wanted a fast action rod within that price range and i heard the vxp is a cannon and super accurate and precise but also am interested in the scott. Any thoughts would help guys and any other companies with similar price ranges  bd;0
Tight Lines, Drunken legs

snagaluffaguss

Get the A4 in 9ft 6wt for what you are wanting to do. 

Buy it from a shop

Cast it before you buy it if you can.

The VXP is not a bad rod either but I have limited experience with it.

Stormin_Mormon_92

9 ft 6 wt even for delicate small dry presentation on rivers like soho and shit?? also i dont have a 6 wt  line even though i know the rio gold is somewhat over weighted am i still good with throwing that on a 6 wt rod

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: Stormin_Mormon_92 on March 19, 2012, 22:46:35 PM
9 ft 6 wt even for delicate small dry presentation on rivers like soho and shit?? also i dont have a 6 wt  line even though i know the rio gold is somewhat over weighted am i still good with throwing that on a 6 wt rod

Yes even for rivers like soho and shit.

Get new line.

If you want to punch big flies "out west" and make long small dry presentations on the tail waters here you either need two different rods or two different lines.

Not one rod that is a compromise and will not serve you well on either

Get a 6wt.  Get a Rio Grand or Nymph for "out west"  get a Rio LT for soho and shit.

Better yet if you need to compromise on something do it on the line and jut get one Wulff Triangle Taper 6wt and cut the first 3 feet off of it.  Use a short stiff leader for "out west" and a long soft leader for soho and shit.

If you are paying full price for those rods (and you should as they should not be on sale anywhere) and traveling a new line shouldnt be too much of and expense.

The Dude

Quote from: Stormin_Mormon_92 on March 19, 2012, 19:20:50 PM
So im getting ready to purchase a new rod and its come down to the Sage VXP and the Scott A4. either one will be a 5 wt and will be paired with a redington surge with rio gold for the time being. i havnt decided if i want to go with the 8'6 of the 9' yet but am leaning toward the 8'6 for weight purposes, either way the rod is going to be 4 pc. The rod is going to be used all summer heavily throwin large dries and terrestrials and also the streamer occasionally and some nymph rigs, but ill be in WEst Yellowsont fishing places like the Madison and Yellowstone. However, i also want the rod to be able to throw some more delicate dry flies for the eastern tail-races like SOHO and Watauga in Tennessee. I have had some say vxp and some say scott. I wanted a fast action rod within that price range and i heard the vxp is a cannon and super accurate and precise but also am interested in the scott. Any thoughts would help guys and any other companies with similar price ranges  bd;0

If you go with the Scott and purchase from a local dealer, you had better make sure they have the one you want in stock.........or it could be a while before you get it.   >:(
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Aka

Take Snags advice.
When your hurling a 3 inch dry fly to a seam 40 feet away looking for that 25" rainbow you thought you saw you will want something a bit bigger. I have the predecessor to the A4, (the A3) in a 9' 4wt. Its great for anything other than the tailwaters around here. I have some experience fishing the Madison and Im sure I would go with the 6.
If your still not sure, read my sig. line (not my words, I just quoted it).

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

The last Scott I purchased was an A-Series, 9' 5wt.  I wanted a rod to throw size 8-10 beetles, straight up the banks of the SOHO.  It was equipped with a Wulff TT; the only problem was I purchased the olive color and could not see the line on the water in the mist on the SOHO.   Later I went to a lighter colored line. The rod worked well for that mission.  But I never cast smaller dries (yellows and olives) with it.  At the time I avoided every rising fish mid-stream that were taking aquatics. 

The boys above have provided sound advise.

Crab Infested Pubes, Limp Loops and Flaccid Lines (fractional credit to Snag),

MG
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Stormin_Mormon_92

Thanks for all the helpful information but i also do have a 9ft 6/7 wt St Croix Pro Graphite rod that is like a broomstick, i throw streamers with using a 5 wt line but a 7 wt line could do wonders i imagine, knowing this info, still go with a 6 wt? also my current 5 wt is broken and was repaired custom by Fish Pimp. So the question now is do i replace my shitty heavy med fast 5 wt with the A4 9ft 5 wt or do i add a 6 wt stick to my arsenal with the St CrOUCH!??
this is killing me  b';. also i imagine i will be throwin more dry flies then not when im using the new rod

5xTippett

"St CrOUCH!??"  I like the way that sounds, but what is it?

_Fish_Pimp

I did a wiggle test on the A4 9' 5wt today, I think you'd like it...not much different than the 6wt A4 I would assume, you can just throw some bigger flies into that Montana wind with the 6wt  ;) the A4 is 375 at great outdoor provision...didnt have a 6wt though. you might also wanna look at MRFC they have a 9' 6wt Biix for 399 and its about half an ounce lighter than the A4. both are really nice rods, its just a personal choice...price isnt very different

Stormin_Mormon_92

Fish Pimp your the man. and 5x its my nick name for the St Croix rod i call it the St CROTCH since mine is so stiff and shit, but i misspelled it St CROUCH cause im a retard  :-\
Thanks for the info im gonna try and buy from a shop but i might end up buying from scott online just because im not sure if app angler carries Scott and i know whorevis foscoe doesnt carry it

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: Stormin_Mormon_92 on March 25, 2012, 16:20:47 PM
Fish Pimp your the man. and 5x its my nick name for the St Croix rod i call it the St CROTCH since mine is so stiff and shit, but i misspelled it St CROUCH cause im a retard  :-\
Thanks for the info im gonna try and buy from a shop but i might end up buying from scott online just because im not sure if app angler carries Scott and i know whorevis foscoe doesnt carry it

You cant buy direct from Scott.  DRO carries them go in there and cast one next time you are up on The Stink.  They also have that Sage so you can cast it too if you want.

kylemc

Snag hit it spot on. 3 Rivers Angler in Knoxville has both and you will never meet cooler more helpful dudes.