News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

New hobby for Mudwall???

Started by Woolly Bugger, June 22, 2016, 11:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Number 13, the Velvet Ant, was the most painful of those that I've experienced.

I'll agree to let J. O.  Schmidt have a monopoly on this commodity.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

I saw Velvet Ants all the time in Georgia, but never was stung by one.  Warrior Wasp description made me laugh. 

bmadd

In my early teens, I picked up a velvet ant with a leather glove. Agree with that description of pain.

Dougfish

Baldfaced Hornet only a 2?  :o I'm a pussy.
That's a twisted dude.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Dougfish on June 22, 2016, 14:34:47 PM
Baldfaced Hornet only a 2?  :o I'm a pussy.
That's a twisted dude.

That's what I thought. He lumps them with yallerjackets and honeybees. No way. I've been hit by all of those many times, and a baldfaced hornet feels like somebody driving a damn 16 penny nail into your flesh. Mush worse than the paper wasp he lists as a three. Never been stung by a velvet ant/cowkiller, I've always given them plenty of space. The worst thing I've ever been hit by is one of those big yellow giant European/Japanese hornets. It actually caused necrosis, killed a good bit of tissue around the sting. That happened when I was a teenager, and I still have a scar from it at 48. And I don't scar easily.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

fishhead

I second the Japanese hornet, leaned back on one when I was about 17, still have knot on my back at 58.
the veins in my right arm turned a kinda purple for about a week.
nasty critters.
Fishhead

driver

Funny this topic came up. I'm just now getting home from the ER for a yellow jacket sting. My fourth YJ sting of the year, first ever major reaction. I was covered in hives. Now I'm doped up on IV benedryl

Woolly Bugger

Yikes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Big J

Quote from: driver on June 24, 2016, 00:03:38 AM
Funny this topic came up. I'm just now getting home from the ER for a yellow jacket sting. My fourth YJ sting of the year, first ever major reaction. I was covered in hives. Now I'm doped up on IV benedryl

How the heck have you been stung by so many yellow jackets?

driver

Quote from: Big J on June 24, 2016, 07:33:51 AM

I'm not the luckiest person in the world. Thats why I don't play the lottery.

First one I hit with the truck and it came in the windows and landed in my shoe.
Second was two stings from a next I found while pressure washing the house.
Thirs was last night mowing the grass, I found another nest.

Big J

Quote from: driver on June 24, 2016, 07:49:45 AM
Quote from: Big J on June 24, 2016, 07:33:51 AM

I'm not the luckiest person in the world. Thats why I don't play the lottery.

First one I hit with the truck and it came in the windows and landed in my shoe.
Second was two stings from a next I found while pressure washing the house.
Thirs was last night mowing the grass, I found another nest.

That is some bad luck.  I haven't been stung by maybe 1 bee or yellow jacket since graduating High School.  I heard that bee and yellow jacket stings can cause worse reactions with each time you are stung and you do not build up an immunity.  Guess you proved that true.

Dee-Vo

I've been stung many times. Wasps, hornets, yellow-jackets, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting. Once, while at a garage, as I walked outside, a large bumble-bee, or something similar flew in like a pro, and it stung me on my eye lid. That's fun. Another time, I got tagged on the wrist/forearm by a bald-faced hornet. That hurt. On another occasion, I was raking leaves or dirt or some other debris in a cemetery, and while bending my arm a yellow-jacket got stuck in there. Stung me, and was stuck in my arm. I thumped it off. A few days later my right forearm was still the size of Popeye's. When I thumped the pest off of my arm, I had broken the stinger off in my arm. After squeezing the stinger out, my arm returned to normal size within minutes. Very relieving.

On two occasions, I've been bitten by spiders. Once, on a four-wheeler. I thought it may have been a Holly leaf stuck on my collar....nope. Big spider nailed me on the back of the neck. Stomach sickness that night ensued. Nothing more. Another time, while inebriated, I picked up a spider of unknown species, and of course it nailed my finger. Brought blood. Nothing more.

I'm positive I'm leaving many out.

One of the more spooky happenings had to be when I was working my way up a small creek on the mountain. Fishing along , I wasn't paying attention to anything other than the water. I look up, and about chin high, hanging in a small tree limb, there was a basketball-sized hornet's nest. At that point, I was standing maybe 2 feet from the thing. Luckily, the nest had been vacated. Being that far from my truck, and receiving many hornet stings could've been serious.

Big J

I see G looking at this thread.  I bet he has lots of stories of getting stung seeing as how he crawls around in the forest looking for plants, roots, and other crap to forage.

Dee-Vo

A friend of mine got in contact with a Saddleback Caterpillar a few years back. He said it really sucked.