News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itieuglyflies

driver

I rode up there this evening. I wasn't too far away with work. I saw a total of 5 caddis, no risers, and caught 1 dink on a nymph.

Woolly Bugger

I though you would have taken a hint from my post, but no, you had to go see for yourself!  :banana072:
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

Another week of 24/7 announced.  b';
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Onslow

The bass are starting to bite.

Fishbug

The Smith sucks

Al

Quote from: Fishbug on March 15, 2019, 20:04:52 PMThe Smith sucks

Got to jump in to defend my favorite river:

Yes, the Smith sucks at the present time because the flows are messed up and have been for the past 2-3 years. But we are working with "the powers to be" to change that to more favorable recreational flows. No decisions yet but they are listening to us - If we are successful you can thank SRTU. Maybe you can even start attending SRTU meetings to show your support and be an important part of the process of making the fishery more angler friendly.

The Smith is the closest trout stream to a large population of VA and NC residents that can support multiple fisherman on a daily basis without it feeling over crowded.

The Smith offers something for everyone - stocked trout for the "put and take" crowd; stream spawned browns for the "catch and release" fishermen; good flows for the paddlers; 95% of the trout holding water is accessible without fear of trespassing - see a pull over, park and go fishing - businesses in town don't mind if you park in their parking lot as long as you don't park near the front door;  there are walking trails for the walkers; boating, fishing, and camping in an undeveloped setting behind the dam; flood control for those downstream; drinking water for the nearby communities; etc, etc.

The Smith sucks if your angling experience / skills are limited to delayed harvest streams or small wild trout streams, both of which are great fun but relatively easy to fish. Have a good day on the Smith on a regular basis and you can transfer the skills learned there to make yourself a better all round fisherman.

Dougfish

I think that was tongue in cheek, btw.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Onslow

I second FB even though I've never fished the Smith.

Fishbug

Dougfish

Philpott Generation schedule for Mar 23-29
We are finally able to cutback from the months of heavy generation.  Get out and enjoy the river and stay safe!
Sat. 23rd- 5am-1pm & 6pm-11pm
Sun. 24th- 6am-11am & 7pm-10pm
Mon. 25th- 6am -12pm & 6pm-10pm
Tues. 26th- 6am-2pm & 5pm-11pm
Wed. 27th- 5am-2pm & 5pm-11pm
Thur. 28th- 5am-2pm & 5pm-11pm
Fri. 29th- 5am-2pm & 5pm-11pm
*Note: THis schedule is subject to change without notice.
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Woolly Bugger

I've also been seeing some, a few, not many, nice, big, but not huge, healthy brown trouts being caught on the lower river from floaty boats...

I may give Sat, Sun, Mon a shot wading on the upper.... jis say'in
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

When the first real opportunity to fish the upper smith in what used to be normal flow conditions popped up upon us this weekend. Thoughts of catching handfuls of rising brown trout brought Fishbug, Dougfish and da bugger out to the old special regs section. Greetings and beers were passed in the parking lot and we all headed down to the water to wait for it to fall.

I kept thinking that swinging a streamer on the falling water might not be bad idea, but really was more interested in eating my snad and finishing up my beer.

Doug headed downstream and fishbug went up, I stayed in the middle and waited and waited for the water to fall and the fish to rise.

There were a number of bugs on the water and at times there were a lot of bwos. After many hours of fruitless euro trash nymphing Doug called it quits and Fishbug reported one on the nymph rig and one on a dry. We had gathered at the starting point and we watched as Fishbug worked a riser in the slack water up against the far bank. He made many money casts, serving up the fly to the dinner plate, and got five or six responses, but failed to hook the little bastard.

As the evening approached they left me alone to wait for the final chance of an evening rise. Finally as it approached seven o'clock fish began to rise. The first one to come to hand was from the same eddy that Fishbug had tried so hard to catch. Then three rose a little further downstream, and I caught a couple down that way before the water began to rise at twenty past seven.

Good times, good beers, fishing was awesome, but the catching sucked!

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Stenonema or Epeorus???

Tasty!

Spring Beauty

Fishbug fishing

Tons of this crap growing in the stream now... a lot of it is dead...

punes of the smith

me -There's a season?

creakycane

Wonder why the water is so warm when they cut off the flows at noon?

The low water times are typically colder, not warmer?  I hope this is not going to result in low, warm releases for any length of time.....  Thoughts?

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?02072000

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?02072500

Dougfish

Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,